Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is it with dumbasses in trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default So what is it with dumbasses in trucks?

Obviously anything recounted here happened at the legal speed limit. I'd never speed - it's foolish and unsafe.

OK. PSA over. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Took my 8yo up to Lime Rock today for the car show.
Radar detector is at Valentine for an upgrade and my kid's in the car so I was driving pretty sedately.

Coming back down the Taconic I was pacing a modded 370Z. I could see he had a V1 so figured that he'd get plenty of warning if we inadvertently exceeded the limit for a moment or so.

Now for those who've never driven it there's a piece of the Taconic that's downhill, rather twisty and has crash barriers both sides. It's kinda fun to drive.

So I'm in the right lane tooling along in 4th, following this guy who's car frankly needed a driver mod and enjoying life when this guy in an F150 comes racing up behind me and proceeds to sit on my ***. And I mean runs up behind me at +30 or so and steps on the brake to follow me. Except I'm watching him and he needs both lanes to stay on the road. His truck is squirming like a stripper with the clap sitting on a barstool and he's fighting it all the way. He doesn't want to pass me - I'm over to the right - just sits hard on my ***.

So a couple of miles of this and I decide to pass the 370Z, a couple of other things and say goodbye to this tool. Turbos are good for that sort of thing. He disappears in the rear view mirror and life is good again. My kid's vocabulary isn't broadened any more and the trip continues in peace.

Fast forward five minutes or so to where the road straightens and flattens - where I'm braking to get off onto 6 - and I get a ricer flyby from the same tool. He had to be pushing 90-95 in that thing and it didn't look like easy speed.

This is the second truck in a week that's done something similar.
WTF is it with them?

Last edited by Alan A; 05-29-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fix autocorrect
Old 05-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Get used to it...
Old 05-29-2016, 11:22 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I get it from the turbo diesel guys at stop lights. I used to have a f350 diesel with a few mods so I understand the capability of them but 99.99% of the smoke stack trucks aren't hitting 13's even so I'm not sure why they even bother.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I just ignore all of them.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:46 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't get it in the other toy at all and I'm way more assertive in that. But then I guess the little old Rumf doesn't look fast
Old 05-30-2016, 09:51 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

easiest way to clear someone like that is to slow down. its that simple. once you drop to 40 or so he will get bored and pass. easiest safest way to get rod of the trash
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts

all i can tell is, don't move to TEXAS!!
most trucks here are driven by cowboy tools.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
easiest way to clear someone like that is to slow down. its that simple. once you drop to 40 or so he will get bored and pass. easiest safest way to get rod of the trash
That doesn't always work.

Years ago in my '96 Mustang GT heading east on I-40 late at night. I forget where exactly I was probably into TX panhandle based on my recollection of the terrain.

Some guy (I guess I never did see the driver) decided to follow my car real close. This is a nice freeway with at that time of the night and around 20 years ago no traffic at all. I was going the limit but in the right hand lane so the other driver could have easily pulled out and passed and gone on his merry way.

I tried slowing down and speeding up and this bozo just wouldn't get the message.

Finally I decided to really speed up and the Mustang easily could outrun the other car. I was fortunate not to encounter a speed trap but back then they were few and far between.

I kept my speed up for some couple of miles or so and then slowed down to the speed limit and other car never appeared.

Never had that happen, at least to that degree, since but I do get a tailgater occasionally.

What I found works if I can't just pull over into another lane -- traffic is too heavy -- is to slow down a bit then speed up a bit -- not being too obvious about it that is just letting off the gas but not touching the brakes -- and the other driver then will switch lanes and go find someone else to tailgate.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 927 Posts

If you slow down too much and the driver of the diesel truck gets tired of you, then you may become a victim of a "rolling coal" smoke cloud. I see them do this every now and then.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am offended by your post! I drive a truck
I do that to ricers at stoplights that speed around me to be first in line at the light. I will pull so close to their rear bumpers that all they can see is grill while sitting at the light

Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have found that when driving my Porsche I have to have my head on a swivel more than either of our two other cars. This weekend was a classic example. It was so bad even my wife noticed. He comment was "What is up with people". People riding your ***, blasting around then cutting back in front of you etc. etc. Dennis have you noticed this kind of crappy driving getting worse here in the Denver area? It has been on the uptick in my opinion since the great pot migration.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:50 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, I get it from diesel trucks a lot... On the freeway I can pull away from them enough without even shifting out of 6th from my experience. Either that or slow down and ignore if they are particularly obnoxious. If they don't drive like an *** I will give them a thumbs up and wave-- It's always good to see another automotive enthusiast no matter what they drive..

I awkwardly talked to a guy at a gas station and straight out asked why his group likes to taunt sports cars, and his answer was generally they know they cant keep up, but want to see us take off. I can understand that.

The worst for me is the JDM crowd, not the Supra/RX7/etc "true" sports cars.. But the old Toyota Cressidas that have Supra engines, the 240SXs etc.. I had a Supra-swapped Cressida see me pass, jump out of the left turn lane and cut off a car behind me and weave through traffic to catch up and proceed to give me blow off valve squeaks beside me, then he drop gear and do a pull and repeat.. This was in 5 o'clock traffic on a surface street in Seattle... LOL no room for anything.. I decided would be best to not acknowledge.. He kept dropping back and revving, then doing a pull through his gear.. There was only 3-4 car lengths between us and other cars since I don't tailgate... Was extremely annoying/obnoxious..
Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Taconic and the Sprain I get it from Escalades, kids in hopped-up Hondas, Teslas (yeah, all your torque at once...I get it) and just about everyone else.

It's my second biggest pet peeve about owning a 996 t......right after the clutch.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Dennis have you noticed this kind of crappy driving getting worse here in the Denver area? It has been on the uptick in my opinion since the great pot migration.
Tim,

I agree with you. I think things have gotten worse lately. I-25 is a nightmare, either north or south of Denver. I-70 has gotten to be the same way. It used to frustrate me, and I sometimes found myself driving more aggressively than I should. I found that my stress levels were rising as I drove more frequently among idiots. Lately, I've decided to be a little bit more mellow and just let them pass. My stress level is greatly reduced. Driving a Porsche should be a pleasant experience, not a stressful one.

I do find that fewer people tailgate me when I'm driving my GMC Sierra Crew Cab with an NRA sticker on the back window.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I need to put an NRA sticker in the back window of the Porsche

I do have my Concealed Carry permit

Quick Reply: So what is it with dumbasses in trucks?