TPC Racing | 996 Turbo 1,000hp build!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 03:11 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default TPC Racing | 996 Turbo 1,000hp build!

TPC Racing has a long history of customizing Porsche cars to maximize their performance. With all of our experience developing bolt-on turbo conversion kits for NA Porsche vehicles and upgraded kits for factory Turbo cars, we have an extensive knowledge of forced induction engineering.

Familiar with our work and expertise with Porsche performance, one of our local customers brought his 996 Turbo in for an 800hp (at the crank) build about two years ago. With the following list of modifications, we were able to reliably produce 700hp to the wheels on a daily driven street car!

• Stock Short Block
• Custom grinded cams (proprietary specs)
• 997 Turbo intake manifold
• 997 Turbo inductive plumbing
• Methanol injection for octane
• Secondary Fuel Pump
TPC Racing 775 Blitzkrieg Turbo Kit
_____• Blitzkrieg VTG Turbochargers
_____• TPC Racing Blitzkrieg 100mm Intercooler
_____• TPC Racing Blitzkrieg Headers
_____• Europipe Stage II Exhaust
_____• TPC Racing custom Blitzkrieg ECU Tune

This spring, the customer reached back out to us wondering if we could introduce even more horsepower to the setup - 1,000+hp to the crank to be exact.

Challenge accepted.

With that said, here is where it is important to understand the intended use of this car and the added challenges that provides. This car is a daily street driven 996 Turbo. Neither the car nor the driver lives their life a quarter mile at a time. That said, producing a car with 1,000hp that can’t deliver on street comfort, safety, and reliability simply won’t suffice.

It’s not terribly difficult to bring a 996 Turbo to 1,000hp if comfort, safety, and reliability aren’t a top priority. However, to produce 1,000hp in a 15+ year old car that is still driven daily takes a fine balance of knowledge, skill, precision, patience, and finesse. With every large increase in horsepower, we must take steps to improve the durability of the engine and supporting systems.

Stay tuned as we update the thread with a mods list and more info on how we improved the intake system, engine, fuel system, suspension, etc. Dyno results to follow!

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

The following users liked this post:
RDS928S (07-26-2021)
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Subscribed
Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

With all due respect, while I understand that you run a business and are clearly up for the challenge, I have to question what the the "usefulness" of a 1000 hp "street car" is. In addition, I think you really have to reconsider the words "safe" and/or "safety" as it applies to said vehicle. I would call it an accident waiting to happen...
Old 05-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I recently saw some floor mats for sale that should give you that 1,000 HP no problem. That is, if you spring for the carbon fiber heel pad upgrade.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:26 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dporto
With all due respect, while I understand that you run a business and are clearly up for the challenge, I have to question what the the "usefulness" of a 1000 hp "street car" is. In addition, I think you really have to reconsider the words "safe" and/or "safety" as it applies to said vehicle. I would call it an accident waiting to happen...
I get where you're coming from; it's certainly an aggressive build to say the least. However, the customer really wanted to go this route, and it's not up to us to question that wish. He's certainly aware of the responsibility that comes with having so much horsepower on tap.

When I say "safety" I mean in it a few ways. First is safety for the car and its engine. As in, we could easily continue to increase the boost, etc. and keep adding more horsepower but want to do it with safety/reliability in mind, which is an entirely different challenge.

Secondly, there are things we take into account for making it safer to drive as well. Keeping the power as linear as possible, for instance, and eliminating turbo lag. We make the car as comfortable and predictable to drive as a street car with 1,000hp can be - and it is actually quite surprisingly predictable with regards to power delivery, etc. Furthermore, we could - in no way - increase the horsepower to this level without improving the suspension as well. This car is also fitted with a DSC Sport module, Tractive Suspension, and TPC Sway Bars as well. Having a proper suspension set up improves grip, handling, and most importantly with a car like this helps to prevent wheel spin and hop.

It's not up to me to determine the "usefulness" of the car, but it's certainly not the only 1,000hp+ street car (ie., Bugatti) out there either. There's certainly responsibility and risk involved, but at the end of the day it's up to the driver of the vehicle to use it responsibly.

-Jordan

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I recently saw some floor mats for sale that should give you that 1,000 HP no problem. That is, if you spring for the carbon fiber heel pad upgrade.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:35 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,677 Likes on 926 Posts

Really sucks when the photographer forgets to shut the frunk...

p.s. Love those wheels!
Mike Mullins (07-26-2021)
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TPC Racing
I get where you're coming from; it's certainly an aggressive build to say the least. However, the customer really wanted to go this route, and it's not up to us to question that wish. He's certainly aware of the responsibility that comes with having so much horsepower on tap.

When I say "safety" I mean in it a few ways. First is safety for the car and its engine. As in, we could easily continue to increase the boost, etc. and keep adding more horsepower but want to do it with safety/reliability in mind, which is an entirely different challenge.

Secondly, there are things we take into account for making it safer to drive as well. Keeping the power as linear as possible, for instance, and eliminating turbo lag. We make the car as comfortable and predictable to drive as a street car with 1,000hp can be - and it is actually quite surprisingly predictable with regards to power delivery, etc. Furthermore, we could - in no way - increase the horsepower to this level without improving the suspension as well. This car is also fitted with a DSC Sport module, Tractive Suspension, and TPC Sway Bars as well. Having a proper suspension set up improves grip, handling, and most importantly with a car like this helps to prevent wheel spin and hop.

It's not up to me to determine the "usefulness" of the car, but it's certainly not the only 1,000hp+ street car (ie., Bugatti) out there either. There's certainly responsibility and risk involved, but at the end of the day it's up to the driver of the vehicle to use it responsibly.

-Jordan
Great answer as I think the general public would probably question why we would need performance cars to exist at all - especially considering our low speed limits. But if used responsibly then it probably isn't any different than a "mere" 500 horsepower car.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Great answer as I think the general public would probably question why we would need performance cars to exist at all - especially considering our low speed limits. But if used responsibly then it probably isn't any different than a "mere" 500 horsepower car.
Also - the owner of the vehicle has managed to successfully DD the vehicle with an 800HP build for two years already, which says a lot. Those sorts of power numbers will usually very quickly make apparent those owners that don't have either the maturity or skill to handle them.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

-Jordan

I hear you...and I didn't mean to "indict" you in any way. It was more of a "thinking out loud" type of comment on my part - sort of like "what's that thinking"?! Definitely an amazing car/build, it just boggles my mind
158Sierra (03-28-2022)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:29 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I hear you...and I didn't mean to "indict" you in any way. It was more of a "thinking out loud" type of comment on my part - sort of like "what's that thinking"?! Definitely an amazing car/build, it just boggles my mind
Absolutely, no offense taken and it's a valid discussion to have.

Now this guy on the other hand...

just kidding. Good catch! I would have retaken the photos but the rain was on its way in, and because it's an older car I won't be using the photos for any ads or anything so...

Originally Posted by b3freak
Really sucks when the photographer forgets to shut the frunk...

p.s. Love those wheels!
Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Engine Mods

The first phase of bringing this car up to 1,000hp is – you guessed it – dropping the engine. There's no way an engine can reliably withstand 1,000hp with stock internals. After the engine is dropped and stripped down, we address the heads, cam, and connecting rods.

Heads:
In order to introduce more air into the engine, we port the heads to proprietary specs. All porting is done in-house by our lead tech, Marco. After serving as a tech in the British Supercup, Marco now resides with TPC Racing both on the road with the race team and in the shop.

Camshaft:
Our custom proprietary cam grinding and timing increases valve lift/duration and features a revised lobe center line and separation to optimize the usable power band. All grinding and timing of the camshaft is done by owner/engineer, Michael Levitas.

Connecting Rods:
While much of the Mezger engine in the 996 Turbo can withstand the large increase in horsepower, the factory connecting rods would still lend themselves to bending with the increase. We went with forged steel 4130 H-Beam connecting rods with high strength fasteners to stand up to the added power. We also replaced the studs with an upgraded stud kit.

RDS928S (07-26-2021)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,677 Likes on 926 Posts

Absolutely, no offense taken and it's a valid discussion to have.

Now this guy on the other hand...

just kidding. Good catch! I would have retaken the photos but the rain was on its way in, and because it's an older car I won't be using the photos for any ads or anything so...

I was just pokin' at ya man. Good work by the way.

What are the wheels on that car?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't really think this is a question for TPC. Perhaps the owner is available for your questions/concerns.

I, on the other hand, completely get it! Let the man have his fun!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:14 AM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

They are Forgeline; couldn't tell you the exact model though to be honest.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Looked into this further. The wheels are Forgeline GT1 5-lug with the Transparent finish.

And we are a Forgeline dealer by the way

Quick Reply: TPC Racing | 996 Turbo 1,000hp build!