Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 PM
D.K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Cooke
Well done DK!
Did you go to the showroom and check it out first?
Thanks! Yes, I did make the trip down to the showroom to take a look at it in person first. Up until now it spent all of it's life in AZ, and a good part of that time it was wrapped. The paint is near perfect, but there are a few cosmetic issues that may need to be addressed due to the wrap.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 PM
D.K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jymmybob
I saw the one but can't bring myself to like the gray interiors. Did you have a PPI done locally and if so, who did it?
I didn't do a PPI on it mainly because it's modified. I knew going in that I would be potentially dealing with problems related to the modifications. Plus the car has spent a good amount of time on a dyno, so I'm pretty sure that a PPI would show faults for high rev conditions. I just wanted to make sure that the drivetrain was sound, and the body was in good condition.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:45 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Arrrgghhh!!! D.K., don't you realize that a PPI would have absolutely guaranteed that you would never, ever have a problem with it? And that by not getting a PPI, the opposite is true - you are guaranteed to have your engine and transmission simultaneously blow up, right after you find out that it is a flood car with a salvage title from an horrific wreck during its previous life as a flogging mule for a drag racing instruction school?

(BTW - I bought mine without a PPI also, almost exactly one year ago. Only problem with it in that year is one broken wastegate actuator rod a few months ago that I spent $200 for parts to replace both sides)
(And also, I didn't have a PPI done on any of the other 5 Porsches I've bought either, all of which have turned out well. I have had PPIs done on cars that I didn't end up buying though - something just didn't smell right so got them checked and was glad I did)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Lucid Moment
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Inspection doesn't guarantee anything but can be helpful. I had a ppi done by a very reputable shop in Dallas, former RUF, which cost me 300 bucks. When I went to pick up the car, rear spoiler was not working, former owner had disconnected the micro switch and duct taped it to one of the rams and no warning was triggered subsequently. Also the psm switch wasn't working.

Not a show stopper, but certainly does 'suck' to show up many miles away to be disappointed.

Generally speaking ppi's are helpful, especially if the car isn't local and you cannot inspect in person.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 PM
D.K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Arrrgghhh!!! D.K., don't you realize that a PPI would have absolutely guaranteed that you would never, ever have a problem with it? And that by not getting a PPI, the opposite is true - you are guaranteed to have your engine and transmission simultaneously blow up, right after you find out that it is a flood car with a salvage title from an horrific wreck during its previous life as a flogging mule for a drag racing instruction school?

(BTW - I bought mine without a PPI also, almost exactly one year ago. Only problem with it in that year is one broken wastegate actuator rod a few months ago that I spent $200 for parts to replace both sides)
(And also, I didn't have a PPI done on any of the other 5 Porsches I've bought either, all of which have turned out well. I have had PPIs done on cars that I didn't end up buying though - something just didn't smell right so got them checked and was glad I did)
Lol! I must be asking for it then. No PPI and no warranty! But I did get GAP! I admit, a PPI probably would've picked up the leaking slave cylinder before I noticed, but it could've also potentially scared me away from a good vehicle, or caused me to spend more to have it delivered all over a very common issue. Instead, I was able to enjoy a nice, uneventful, 400 mile trip home in it without over-thinking anything. At the end of the day, I bought a modified, 520 awhp Porsche...if it hadn't thrown a code or 2 at some point in time, then I'd be worried.

Edit** I'm not advocating against anyone getting a PPI, just stating why I chose not to go that route.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I did get a ppi. less than 1y later i'm over $10k on service and maintenance.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Yinzer
Advanced

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I did get a ppi. less than 1y later i'm over $10k on service and maintenance.
What did the PPI catch and not catch?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Yinzer
What did the PPI catch and not catch?
Caught basically nothing. The horn wasn't fully working. Rotors had a bit of a lip. Pads with less than 50% left. Replace serpentine belt. I asked them specifically to check for the hissing sound of the power steering reservoir defective valve, which I could hear during my test drive, and they said they couldn't hear a thing. Of course, 5 minutes after I picked up the car, I heard it again. They cost me $700 plus labor that I would have knocked off the price of the car. Then I started hearing a rattling sound from the roof. There's a TSB for it, I haven't had it fixed yet.

Then a couple of hundred miles later second gear started grinding awfully on the downshifts. Tranny repair in the high four digits.

Then the clutch started sticking to the floor and engaging very high in the pedal travel. Slave cylinder replace.

Then the other day I had a leak from the front of the car. Replaced radiators. Plus over these few months I paid for the 30k service, replaced engine mounts, did a coolant flush (which equated to flushing money as I had to replace the radiators a few months later), had Castrol SRF fluid put in, and brake pads (with ****ing sensors, which who the **** needs sensors anyway, and they cost an arm and a leg).

The last indignity has been a hubcap that went missing. $45 at Suncoast.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:03 AM
mordeeb
Advanced

This seems a bit high on the price for the miles, located in MA but also seems to be listed in NH.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5756108444.html
Old 09-12-2016, 12:34 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

^ Seems like a reasonable ask. Maybe get it for $41k.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

here's a $30K Tippy in NorCal...112K miles.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5772582841.html
Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5774794682.html
Old 09-13-2016, 03:16 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

^ Juan - You selling already?
Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by kcattorney
^ Juan - You selling already?
yep. after the blast of the turbo set in some I'm now missing the raw, throttle steer nature of a well set up impact bumper car... the experience has also convinced me that my dreams of at some point owning a 993 were not actually the 911 I would enjoy most. the traction control, antilock brakes and heavy feel are not the driving experience that floats my boat.

also, on experience. having owned, built & maintained an aircooled racer for a number of years I know my way around those cars which is comforting for me. I just never fell in love with the turbo like I had my previous 911. it's a great car, just not the 911 for me at this time.

plus, I never got the promised rennlist stickers when I paid to become a full fledged member.... ya, that's it.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D.K
It's a very nice car. Very well maintained, and all modifications are documented. It's also sitting outside of my office right now.
Congratulations DK, I actually called on that car a couple days ago. It has more miles that I'd normally consider, but that EVOMS GT 660 kit on there was quite enticing, especially since it was done by EVOMS themselves, so you know it was done correctly. Just out of curiousity, how many miles were on it when the kit was installed. That was one of the questions i asked when I originally emailed them regarding the car. But when they got back to me, it had already been sold. I'm glad that it went to a fellow RL'er!! Congratulations again!

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds