Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM
splitime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
Thanks for the info...Looks great in the pics would be cool if you could figure out where it came from. If I'm not mistaken Precision porsche and NR both make what I understand are very nice gt2 tails also so maybe check with them too
Figured out the source, used the details within the paperwork I received then took a shot on non-changing phone numbers to reach out to a previous owner. He has been really open and forthcoming about the car, kind of a nice after purchase present.

The wing has been on since December of 2008 and was made by Misha from his memory.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, that's great that you were able to get in touch with PO and find out. Misha's been around for a while and has some nice looking parts. Very cool.

Originally Posted by splitime
Figured out the source, used the details within the paperwork I received then took a shot on non-changing phone numbers to reach out to a previous owner. He has been really open and forthcoming about the car, kind of a nice after purchase present.

The wing has been on since December of 2008 and was made by Misha from his memory.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
gophaster
Pro

Sounds like you did very well.. A nice, documented, and well maintained car at a very fair price + local to boot. Can't beat that. Glad you jumped on it.

I agree, the condition of these cars is all over the place, some are very nice and well maintained. Others, time has been a little unkind to.

I don't think you will regret it, these are awesome cars!!

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Thanks for the compliment!

Sure; I set out with a budget of mid-40s for a 6 speed car, and this car is mechanically just as sound as the 40k+ cars with half the miles that I looked at, and actually much better than some. Way better shape than another mid 30s car that I looked at. I feel like I got a killer deal. The car wasn't kept on the lot (there were Boxsters, a Cayman and a couple of Carreras on the lot), it was kept in a warehouse where the dealer had several other more expensive Porsches, a handful of Ferraris, many nice cars of various makes; some for sale, some not. No issues at all with the transaction, test drove, took it for an inspection the next day, came back and paid for it... It passed my initial inspection, I pulled the ECU data myself via durametric and took it for an independent PPI which reported virtually no issues and nothing that surprised me- the only big issue is the rear wheels are not original, but service records disclosed this; each were replaced at different time, about 6 months apart, for a vibration issue. It has pretty much all of the service records since new- most being done at 2 of the local Porsche dealerships and a few at a respected local independent shop. Has the original window sticker and all of the original booklets/manuals/keys. I am the 3rd owner; car was a local trade by another client and the dealer put me in contact with the previous owner to ease my mind about the history. No paint work, no accidents, no modifications other than an aftermarket GT2-style wing on the OEM hydraulics (functioning and non-leaking) and included the OEM wing. In the photos it doesn't show the front lip and looks to be in rough condition, but the dealer had replaced that piece before I ever saw it in person and never updated the photos.

The first thing I noticed when I got there, is the car is in nowhere near as rough condition as it appears in the photos; it is just in dire need of a cleaning. I went expecting a somewhat rough car, but would still buy if only issues were minor cosmetic/paint issues if I could get a lower price. The paint has no major issues, its extremely clean for the age/mileage- looks like it has half the miles and my in-laws thought it was a brand new car when I pulled up in it for the holidays. The interior is the roughest part of the car; I'd still give it an 8 out of 10; the carbon trim has 2 faded pieces on the dash and there is a scratch in the clearcoat of the carbon on the steering wheel. No extraordinary wear, no tears/rips or smells. I dealt with the owner of the dealership directly- he said he's sat on it without listing it for a while since he didn't know what he wanted to do with it (sell it or take it to auction) and didn't usually sell higher mileage cars.

I'm extremely happy with it. I also feel lucky that I got this car at the price I did; I wouldn't count on other lower priced cars to be in this shape based on what I saw in the local market.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks Chris! Congrats on your purchase.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

They finally relented, and purchased turbo twist wheels for this car....got rid of those absolutely horrible ghetto wheels.....This car is relatively close to me, but I don't trust this car at all.....

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...8511/overview/
Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chrome twists ugh!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guardsred997
They finally relented, and purchased turbo twist wheels for this car....got rid of those absolutely horrible ghetto wheels.....This car is relatively close to me, but I don't trust this car at all.....

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...8511/overview/
Just some plain silver ones would be better than the chrome. I wonder if they traded for those chrome ones.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:47 PM
gophaster
Pro

Yeah, I'm not a fan of them in chrome either. Was this the yellow car that was posted a while back with the yellow/black wheels??
Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gophaster
Yeah, I'm not a fan of them in chrome either. Was this the yellow car that was posted a while back with the yellow/black wheels??
Yup, same car, they also raised the price 2K from yesterday.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Ha! This is the car I picked up
you did GREAT!..

you guys that are patient and picky seem to always fare well.

me? i took my 2nd one after a 5 min drive and nothing else but know the seller and the shop that did all the work. so i also, have been "lucky"! in the last 6 yrs of ownership of THIS one.

but YOU scored buddy! enjoy!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:21 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Well, here's one that sold last week (according to eBay) that should restore everyone's faith that prices are on the rise:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsche...p2047675.l2557

2001 996tt with 124,000 miles and a salvage title. eBay says it sold for $34,000.
It is still listed here in the Rennlist vehicle marketplace.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:42 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Hmm, here's a very interesting car. 2002 tippy with 68k miles. Unicorn White over brown interior. Current high bid on eBay is $12,445. Engine & tranny out of the car currently. Carfax shows accident (but not salvage) and right front fender fit is way off. Whaddya wanna give?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=262229835238

Old 01-10-2016, 02:29 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless someone wants a track car or is financially challenged it pays to buy a clean car with records as you will more than likely have headaches and a car worth less with a smaller market when selling..
Old 01-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Well, here's one that sold last week (according to eBay) that should restore everyone's faith that prices are on the rise:
2001 996tt with 124,000 miles and a salvage title. eBay says it sold for $34,000.
It is still listed here in the Rennlist vehicle marketplace
That's a gorgeous color though! I bet you if it was silver it wouldn't have cracked $30k
Old 01-10-2016, 03:46 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a oem Porsche color. I asked about that one and he told me it was painted ford blue ��

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds