Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky part

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

The important thing to remember is to hold the red retainer towards the tank while pulling the hydraulic line. To do this you can get an "air conditioning and fuel line disconnect tool". I stay away from anything in metal because a scratch on the line while pulling it and a possibility of leaks! Also, if you damage this red plastic retainer it is very difficult to found one on the market. But if you ever replace your slave for a new one keep the retainer! It is exactly the same type installed on your power steering pump. Also keep the o-ring in the back!
Attached Images    
Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The PS hose connections are quick connect and quick release. The power steering tank on my Turbo was replaced and the tech had no problem getting the hose connections apart. He used a special lever/blade. The hose connections have remained dry ever since.
You were lucky. Because it seems sometimes when you pull off the low pressure hose the crush fitting where the hose steps down to the nipple fails and leaks.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpflip
The important thing to remember is to hold the red retainer towards the tank while pulling the hydraulic line. To do this you can get an "air conditioning and fuel line disconnect tool". I stay away from anything in metal because a scratch on the line while pulling it and a possibility of leaks! Also, if you damage this red plastic retainer it is very difficult to found one on the market. But if you ever replace your slave for a new one keep the retainer! It is exactly the same type installed on your power steering pump. Also keep the o-ring in the back!
It wasn't the plastic coating on the nipple that failed with mine. It was the crush fitting where the hose steps down to the nipple that let loose from the strain of being pulled out of the quick connect.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-12-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:35 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
It wasn't the plastic coating on the nipple that failed with mine. It was the crush fitting where the hose steps down to the nipple that let loose from the strain of being pulled out of the quick connect.
Sorry Carlo, I don't understand... There is two lines connected to the reservoir. One with a threaded fitting and one with a straight tube that fit and lock into the red collar....
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry Carlo, I don't understand... There is two lines connected to the reservoir. One with a threaded fitting and one with a straight tube that fit and lock into the red collar....
The low pressure line, the one with the tube, looks different. Then is no bend. On my car the tube goes straight into a crush fitting and the rubber PS line.

With my car when the low pressure line was removed from red retaining ring in the pump the stress of getting it out caused the line to leak at the point were the crush fitting of the rubber line steps down to straight tube with plastic sealer coating on it. Does that make sense?

There have been others here with that have had the same issue.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here are what the power steering lines look like on my car. You can see the top low pressure one. Right where the silver crush fitting steps down to the black tube is where it was leaking.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

OMG! I see now what you mean!!! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 11-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

Carlos had a hydraulic hose failure on the crimped fitting. This usually occurs if Pentosin has leaked on the hose. AND if the engine is not supported correctly when removing an engine OR lazy tech when changing the clutch. The line takes the stress when the engine is lowered.

This hose is becoming a wear item. The plastic coatings on many hoses have been scratched and dinged. I have seen RTV silicone used in attempts to seal/repair the suction line.

I guess that this is another TOO LOOK ITEM when doing a PPI.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Nico911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you guys know if the o-ring is available on the market ? My mechanic didn't find one and had to make one out of an old a/c washer.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

It is not available. The green Viton oring withstands Pentosin

With that said any hydraulic hose repair shop might be able to supply the green Viton..

As JP mentioned, find someone that has an old SLAVE that they just replaced..
Old 11-12-2015, 10:10 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Nico I know someone who's got an old slave and live not far from you... LOL!!! The o-ring is yours and I can mail it if you want!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Nico911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nico I know someone who's got an old slave and live not far from you... LOL!!! The o-ring is yours and I can mail it if you want!
Damn it, I should have called you JP.
It's all done now (got the car back yesterday), with a part I'm not sure will withstand Pentosin on the long run.

So I'll take your o-ring JP, I'm sure it will give my some headache again soon or later. PM sent.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nico911
Damn it, I should have called you JP.
It's all done now (got the car back yesterday), with a part I'm not sure will withstand Pentosin on the long run.

So I'll take your o-ring JP, I'm sure it will give my some headache again soon or later. PM sent.
Just went to look at the slave I took off from your car. Unfortunately the red retainer is not in good shape but the o-ring is perfect! I will send it to you tomorrow morning. You should get it at the beginning of next week...

Quick Reply: Leaky part