Sponsored by:

Replacement for 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 05:47 PM
racer63
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ben in lj
btw, while i love the SMG in the E46 M3, i don't think i'd ever get one for myself (it's my wife's). then again, i felt the same way about my 996 (coming from a 993) until i changed the suspension and got some engine sound into the cabin.
Ditto on the SMG. I think that I would love it on the track. But, I found it annoying in a test drive (just before buying the 996TT). Also, while the stop watch says its quicker under acceleration (stock vs. stock), it doesn't really feel any quicker than my current e36. My car has a typical chip, intake, exhaust upgrade, and the A/C belt was removed, but it is otherwise stock (engine-wise).

Also, there is a pretty significant problem with engine failures in the e46. The exact cause escapes me. But, I think it is still unclear whether you'd be covered once out of warranty (I don't think that BMW has said yet).
Old 08-19-2003, 06:25 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

negative Bill

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=123112

Christian
Old 08-19-2003, 06:59 PM
dpj
Instructor

Default Early NSX

Ryan,

Somebody also mentioned it, but I would like to put forth an early Acura NSX. Prior to my TT, I owned a 1999 NSX and I still feel in many ways it out performs my turbo.

Pros:
Bullet proof reliability.
Excellent build quality.
Low maintenance costs.
Easy to live with as a daily driver.
Light clutch and excellent gear box.
Good gas mileage.
Great handling.
Instant throttle response.
Little deprecation.
Unusual shape.
Excellent visibility

Negatives:
Costly to insure.
Rear tire wear.
Needs frequent alignments.
Limited luggage space.

Check out www.NSXprime.com - it's the Rennlist for NSX's. It's worth a look - current prices are between $20k and $35k. I was going to buy a 1999 996 and ended up in the 1999 NSX.....it was a much better car.

I have also owned a 1998 E36 M3.....the M3 is more practical....in every other measure it's an inferior car to the NSX.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:22 PM
BCS996TT
Instructor

Originally posted by racer63
Ok. My next favorite choice!

An e36 M3 with the Dinan supercharger kit. Good for about 340 HP, very reliable, and not Japaneese (since you prefer to avoid Japaneese cars).

A good 95-99 e36 M3 can be purchased for 15-25K (of course some are more), depending on mileage and condition. I purchased mine for 20K, with most of the racing upgrades (cage, brakes, exhaust, racing seat, belts, etc) already made.
Ryan,

I second Racer's opinion.

The e36 M3 is an awesome car!!! I had a 97 Dinan SC'ed M3 putting down 370HP at the flywheel with race gas. The car handled much better than my TT, but it also had about 30K worth of mods. A properly maintained M3 will last forever and can sustain a significant amount of modifications. I had the blower on for over 40K miles without running into any problems whatsoever. Active Autowerke in miami is one of the best if not the best tuner out there for BMWs. They produce some incredible turbo M3s that are incredibly fast. You should check out www.bimmerforums.com. There are usually a number of really nice M3s for sale. Your best bet would be to find a 95 (OBD1) and send it to Active Autowerke for a Stage II or III turbo. Those cars are running over 400 RWHP. 95 M3s can be purchased for 10-15K. Invest another 10-15K for the turbo and other goodies and you'll be passing almost everything you come across. And...you'll look good doing so.

Im not sure if you're familiar with the Pocono Full Course track in PA, but it's essentially 3 race tracks combined into one (long with some really nice straights!). It's generally held several times throughout the year and that's when the high horsepower cars come out. The only cars that were able to pass me in the straights were race prepped vipers, a Z06 with nitrous and several other race cars. I passed virtually every other car out there (no 996TTs that day )...nsxs, , C5s, chipped S4s, Supras, a couple of 930 Turbos, etc. In the twist and turns, I passed everyone! Needless to say, the car was awesome!

Just to give you a ball park figure, I had 64K miles, the car was in excellent condition and I sold it for 27K.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:02 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is getting a little ridiculous-why not a bmw, why not an nsx, why not a vette, why not....? trojan man, there are many good possibilities. there is no right or wrong answer. 50 different suggestions with 70 different cars is useless.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:39 AM
86944turbo
Racer

My 2 cents is that nothing in price range will give you the WOW (appearance) you want like an NSX. Still looks fresh and are fairly exclusive. 'Vettes are great, but plentiful. BMW's, more than great, but little WOW and fairly plentiful. 951's (and this may hurt my buddies and hurts me too) do appear a little dated. I love my 951, but I'm not into that type of WOW. Plus German auto repair costs. NSX now, later a turbo or two and wallah, you'll forget the 996tt. Otherwise, the newer the car, the better. I have also found that Dinan is a little optimistic in their HP ratings. NSX, very conservative. If HP is part of the WOW you want, that's a different subject. I like 'em conservative on the outside w/WOW in the engine, suspension and brakes. But that's me. It's a quandry.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:43 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever car you buy make sure it's a Porsche, my 2 cents..
Old 08-20-2003, 02:54 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

EDIT Double post
Old 08-20-2003, 02:55 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Anders, you got the 928..nice!

Even though I'm biased, for 25K you can make a hell of a 951 and even make it look halfway decent
Old 08-20-2003, 07:21 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I drove a few NSXs 4-5 years ago. Even owned an Integra GSR once. Completely different cars but Acuras and their VTECs are real high strung cars. You have to get way up in the power band to get the oomph. Very little torque, but the redline is sick. You just keep winding those babies up and at about 6500rpms is when the real fun comes. Its kind of neat too to drive next to people and keep pushing the tach higher and higher as if it will go on forever. Acuras are Acuras and will basically run forever unless you set fire to it.

NSXs are carrying very good resale value though so you may not find one in your area in your price range. Nothing in my area can be touched outside the low to mid 30s. And most NSX owners dont drive them daily. I cant tell you how many Ive come across that are 7-8yrs old and have 20K miles on them. That further keeps their price up.

And at least you know that a $30K NSX you buy today will be worth $25K in 3-4 years. That same Vette you buy for $25K today will be worth $10K in 2-3 years. So you are flushing money down the toilet in terms of resale value.

I can think of very few exotics that I would honestly drive daily. My 930? Forget it. I cant even imagine that brutally uncomfortable thing. Not even the 951. It rides as stiff as a board. I would do it in an NSX though. All the new creature comforts, great sound system, great HVAC, great engine, never breaks down, maintenance cheap compared to what we're all used to on here, good gas mileage, .

If you can get over the lack of trunk space, those 7,500 mile tires, and perhaps it not being a snow car, I think its the car for you.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Well being in So Cal, I don't think I have to worry about it not being a snow car

Old 08-20-2003, 09:19 PM
racer63
Racer

I've driven NSXs on the street and on a road course. I also considered buying one about two years ago. But, I found that the lack of low end torque drove me nuts. You have to rev the **** out of the thing to get it to make power. On the other hand, it looks far sexier/exotic than the e36 M3 and is equally reliable.

Performance wise, both cars are well qualified. Both can be easily modded. On a wide open course, the NSX will prove a little quicker (due to its higher HP and terminal speed). But, on a road course, the M3 will run circles around the NSX due to superior handling (in tight courses) and better low end torque.

Bottom line. The NSX will cost you more than the e36 M3, but looks better. On the other hand, if you do not like cars that require high rev'ing to make power, I think you'd regret buying the NSX.

Yours in speed.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 AM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by racer63
Ditto on the SMG. I think that I would love it on the track. But, I found it annoying in a test drive (just before buying the 996TT). Also, while the stop watch says its quicker under acceleration (stock vs. stock), it doesn't really feel any quicker than my current e36. My car has a typical chip, intake, exhaust upgrade, and the A/C belt was removed, but it is otherwise stock (engine-wise).

Also, there is a pretty significant problem with engine failures in the e46. The exact cause escapes me. But, I think it is still unclear whether you'd be covered once out of warranty (I don't think that BMW has said yet).
In 2001 and some 2002 models, the engines have been blowing because of a blown connector rod. They have since fixed it and the problem does not affect newer cars.

Forgot to add, BMW has extended the warranty period for the model years affected.

-Lou
Old 08-21-2003, 01:51 AM
LSM
Racer

If you can splurge the couple xtra thousand, I would get an e46 M3 6 speed. It is an awesome car and although there are plenty out there, it really turns heads and has performance to match. It is a tiny bit faster than the C2 996 and has a useable backseat, extended warranty, and nice interior. If I was on a budget, I would do a BMW finance balloon loan and I guarantee you can keep the payments in your price range. I also like the 330ci or maybe a used 540 i sport 6 speed. How about, and I hate slush boxes but a 1999 MB E55 AMG.

-Lou
Old 08-21-2003, 02:04 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"In 2001 and some 2002 models, the engines have been blowing because of a blown connector rod. They have since fixed it and the problem does not affect newer cars. "

A TON of posts on the internet from 2003 owners still grenading motors.

Quick Reply: Replacement for 996TT