Sponsored by:

Winterizing the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM
SelectiveRecall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing the Turbo

It's about that time for the turbo to hibernate away the winter. What do you guys do to winterize? Does the fuel need to be stabilized?

I am planning on pumping up the tires, topping off the gas tank, popping front and rear hatches, dropping the driver side mirror a few inches, pulling the battery, and putting on the cover.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Why drop the drivers side mirror?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SelectiveRecall
It's about that time for the turbo to hibernate away the winter. What do you guys do to winterize? Does the fuel need to be stabilized?

I am planning on pumping up the tires, topping off the gas tank, popping front and rear hatches, dropping the driver side mirror a few inches, pulling the battery, and putting on the cover.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Tim
FWIW my sister's 2011 Infiniti SUV sat from Jan 2012 to July 2012 with the same gas in it and while the gas was stale there was no real problem other than driving the car enough -- when I drove the car in July for a few weeks -- to burn the stale gasoline and lower the fuel tank level to the point I could add fresh gasoline. I got the level down to around 1/4 tank and after I refueled the vehicle with fresh premium gasoline the transformation was quite dramatic.

So you could just be sure there's a full tank and then come next year remember to drive the car some and then add fresh fuel. You might not want to run the level down to 1/4 tank but say refill the tank at just 1/2 tank.

Of course, you could stabilize the fuel though I don't think this would help with the staleness.

Be sure the oil/filter has been recently serviced -- IOWs you want to put the car away with fresh oil and a fresh filter -- and use a method to ensure no mice/rodents get at the car while it is off the road for a while.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

put on a set of Blizzaks and drive it
Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why pull the battery, just get a good trickle charger like the battery tender and leave it on.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 AM
enzowho
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My process for interior storage is below. I know some of these aren't terribly important, but it always nice to put a car away cleaned and ready for spring.

1. Fuel stabilizer and a full tank of fuel. Don't use the stupid container Stabil sells now, it spills everywhere. Transfer the appropriate amount of stabilizer for 15 gallons to a better suited dispenser.

2. Buy one of those heavy duty rubber standing mats from HD. Cut it into 4 sections to park on. Concrete is like a sponge, in my experience the mat seems to keep tires from drying out and definitely helps reduce flat spots.

3. Over-inflate tires to 50 psi or so to prevent flat spots.

4. Change the motor oil.

5. Full exterior and interior detail. Condition the leather, wax the paint, etc

6. Buy a cigarette lighter trickle charger and plug it in. The cheaper porsche one is nice, generic one is just fine too.

7. Set mouse traps, sticky pads, steel wool in the exhaust, buy a cat, etc. What ever it takes to keep a furry nightmare away from your car.

8. Put a sticky note on the seat or steering wheel of reminders for the spring. Stuff like tire pressure, remove rodent protection, insurance, etc

9. Put a dust cover on it and reduce insurance to comprehensive only.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
The only way to winterize
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
SelectiveRecall
Advanced

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Why drop the drivers side mirror?
I meant driver side window, not mirror. I want to provide ventilation in case of condensation.

I don't want to use a trickle charger because the car cover is opaque, and I won't know if there is a problem with the charger or battery until it's too late.

I like the sticky note idea about what to change before driving.

Thanks for the pointers.

Tim
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
The only way to winterize
Not the only way. Where I live I just make sure the Porsche umbrella is in its case and the case is in the cavity for it at the passenger side door sill.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

I meant driver side window, not mirror. I want to provide ventilation in case of condensation.

I don't want to use a trickle charger because the car cover is opaque, and I won't know if there is a problem with the charger or battery until it's too late.

Thanks for the pointers.

Tim
Ever try the little bags you can throw in your car to prevent condensation? Just curious if they work. I'd rather have the windows closed to prevent any critters looking for a new home.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
Yes. Turbos are awesome in the snow.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Why pull the battery, just get a good trickle charger like the battery tender and leave it on.
Yes, leave battery in car and use trickle charger.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Move to Texas Yeehaa!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:56 PM
JETninja
AutoX

Last year I moved to the PNW so for the first time I had to deal with parking my Z06 over the Winter.

I always make sure its detailed so that was not an issue. Make sure before you park it to run it at least 30 minutes to cook off any water inside the engine and exhaust system. DO NOT RESTART until you can drive it again for 30+ minutes.

I use a hi-tech smart changer: http://shop.doubledmods.com/CTEK-MUL...-CTEKMUS43.htm It shows 7 steps and has modes for bikes and boats as well as cars. Its plugged into the Cig lighter and this is its 2nd season, I never worry about it even though the car is under a HD Cover.

I'll change the oil next spring. Interesting tip on the rubber mat, may look into that.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pointers.

Tim
Good trickle chargers don't fail. Millions of people use them all the time with no problems. Removing the battery is not the best idea. The car's computer systems are meant to have power supplied to them all the time. If you lock your Porsche and leave it alone for a day or so the car goes into sleep mode. If you remove the battery the car will not properly put itself to sleep.

By removing the battery and leave the hood and rear hatch open you are asking for furry little critters to move in.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-21-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Winterizing the Turbo