Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fine metal particles in oil filter & chain rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Fine metal particles in oil filter & chain rattle.

Kevin,

Due to oil leaks earlier this year I had my engine rebuilt under warranty, all gaskets, seals, timing chains, rings, clutch.. etc replaced. When I got the car back the engine had a new rattle at around 800 - 1000rpm's at light throttle in gear and out. It wasn't there before and when I asked about it they said the sound was very normal and nothing to worry about.
I had Porsche Australia and an indie verify this is a normal sound but it wasn't there before.
With my recent oil change I tore open the oil filter and found very fine metal particles on the pleats , is all this normal or should l be worried.

I have attached some photos but the metal specs are not very visible as what they are in the flesh.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Cheers
James

Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

A bit of metal (and other trash like camshaft cover or oil sump pan sealant) in the filter housing oil and filter element after a rebuild is normal.

If you are worried, after having run the engine some after the oil/filter service drop the filter housing again and dump the contents into a *clean* drain pan. What you find or do not find determines what you do next.

If you find nothing or just a tiny bit of stuff -- depending upon the miles you've added to the oil since it was last changed -- you probably have no reason to worry.

Probably. I can't say for sure of course. And the noise might be important.

However, you've been told the noise is normal.

I note the clutch, etc. was replaced. Does the etc possibly include a light weight flywheel? This can make the engine (actually the transmission) noisy.

Does the noise diminish when you depress the clutch? If so the noise is probably just input shaft rattle that some of these cars manifest and this is normal. My 03 Turbo manifests this when everything is nice and hot. A depress of the clutch pedal at a stop light makes the rattle go away until the next time I pull up to a stop light and slip the shifter into neutral and let out the clutch. (Sometimes just revving the engine at the light with the tranny in neutral and the clutch pedal all the way out gets the rattle back.)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Macster

Thanks for your feed back.
Very fine metal specs and one 4mm x 0.25 (if that) fine shaving visible in filter only, could see nothing in oil catch container bottom.
Oil that was drained was M1 5w-30 which was in there for for about 2200 miles (3500km) now running Mobil1 5w-50

Just replaced with Sachs plate not fly wheel.

Noise sounds just like chain rattle, there with clutch in or out.

Car is running extremely well, strong and responsive with no turbo lag.

Cheers
Jim
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 PM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Blackstone type report at each oil change to see if it clears up or gets worse (send a sample of old oil away, they give you an analysis)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Like Thomapa1 mentioned, get your oil sampled.. You should have a Cat or Cummins dealer that will charge a small fee for the oil sample. Don't mention that it's for a Porsche... The first test will be a starting baseline. If you have some oil from this past service, use that!

You will always have "some" debris in the oil on a fresh rebuild. But you shouldn't be increasing that trend.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

BTW, I had a customer send me a white piece of paper with bronze metal flakes from a BRAND new factory Porsche engine. I just could not place where it would be coming from.. I finally figured it out. On these engines which include the GT3's >>we have green cam cover plugs. On the inside there is a brass spacer. One or two plugs were installed to far inward. This would cause the brass in the oil. And yes, turbochargers have brass bushings and brass thrust washers. They usually don't produce brass flakes..
Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin
BTW, I had a customer send me a white piece of paper with bronze metal flakes from a BRAND new factory Porsche engine. I just could not place where it would be coming from.. I finally figured it out. On these engines which include the GT3's >>we have green cam cover plugs. On the inside there is a brass spacer. One or two plugs were installed to far inward. This would cause the brass in the oil. And yes, turbochargers have brass bushings and brass thrust washers. They usually don't produce brass flakes..
Thanks Kevin
Cant recall seeing any bronze colored particles, only silver.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are they aluminum or can a magnet attract them?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Are they aluminum or can a magnet attract them?
A bit hard to tell if particles are sticking due to the oil film on them but I think its non aluminum, the bigger specs seem to be attracted to the magnet.
They really are very tiny specs and not too many.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Your new timing chain may be loosing some of its plating. Go to blackstone, send in an oil sample, you now will have a baseline. Then on your next oil change do the same thing, and cut the filter. I would not be surprosed that this is just a result of new parts. Blackstone :
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
They send a free kit and when you send in your sample you pay.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Your new timing chain may be loosing some of its plating. Go to blackstone, send in an oil sample, you now will have a baseline. Then on your next oil change do the same thing, and cut the filter. I would not be surprosed that this is just a result of new parts. Blackstone :
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
They send a free kit and when you send in your sample you pay.
Why would it be loosing some of its plating and if so is this an issue.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Just break in wear.

Quick Reply: Fine metal particles in oil filter & chain rattle.