Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ride is finally done. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ride is finally done. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Ok, here it is. I started with a bone stock 2004 996TT with 13,900 miles. It's spent most of the past month in the shop. Everyone flamed the rendering of the wheels I posted a couple of weeks ago but figured I'd post the completed photos anyway. This may not be everyone's cup of tea but this is just a 2nd car for me and I wanted to have some fun with it. I am really happy with how it's turned out so far, but what do you guys think? Too much? Nicely done? Suggestions? Other?
-R

Completed project list:
Bilsteins and lowered,
Painted sport technos matte black with red trim,
Anthracite Turbo stripes from K1,
Porsche crests on front fenders,
Tinted side windows,
Upgraded shift ****,
Red seat belts,
Clear front turn signals,
Black floor mats with red stitching and turbo script,
New tires,
Repainted front and rear bumpers,
Lots of other comprehensive maintenance to ensure a good baseline.

On deck:
Short shift solution
Upgraded radio
White instrument dials
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I would lose the Porsche crests...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's one of the reasons I bought mine. To have a little fun with it. Your taste and mine are different ( I'm a bit more subtle), but it looks like it was done well.

Hope tou get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good on you mate. Not how I would do it but I like like it!

Cheers Ben
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice but the crests must go!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Very nice - the flames/chirps were wrong - but I'd lose the crests
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

love the wheels hate the crests. theres a set of white gauges for sale on 6 speed. also get the numeric shifter and the new cup cables by numeric
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The crests are interesting and as expected most here so far don't like them. Obviously you so, so keep them. If everyone liked them, we'd all have them. I like what you did to your wheels and the lowering. I saw a car with red instruments and think it would look really nice with what you have done already. Keep it up, I love customized vehicles and really enjoy seeing what people come up with.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind the crests - part of the look.
edit - but what the heck do I know, I drive around with various toys strapped to my roof!
Cheers Ben
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Crests not my style. Keep us posted on rest. You in US?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's to your tastes, enjoy it. My thought is the crests are a too big and scream "Look, I'm a Porsche!!"
For a 13K mile car, has it had a full service done on all fluids, brakes, suspension, ignition, etc, ? Make sure its recorded for,future reference.

You mentioned short shifter; That should have been the first mod. Then maybe an aftermarket exhaust. Keep your stock parts, btw if you don't like the mods so you can always revert to stock.

The stance looks great and with new tires, it should be dialed in for a perfect weekend driver.

All black cars are a bit harder to personalize. Side skirts, wings and front spoilers from the various aftermarket manufacturers (or OEM) tend to be the trend. Maybe a vinyl wrap to change the big picture( the stripes you added are hardly seen over the black/red wheels). Vinyl can always be removed when you get bored and won't take up space.

Maybe Graphite (or anthracite or smoked or the new 991 Platinum color) wheels are played out, but that could be another option to try ....

If you're not the type to keep this car long-term, A bone stock , low mile Turbo will be the easiest to sell.....
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see another excited Porsche owner. The crests are not my cup of tea, but other than that your Porsche looks great.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Crests are bit too big not that I would want them any where near my cars

Besides that, the car looks fine
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

IMHO the crest should be 1/3 of this size if you really want it. The car is simply beautiful. I think the red stripe on the rims is elegant. I also like the chalet in the background
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Smile

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Happy to provide a position that the group can rally around - even if it's simply a near unanimous dislike for something I have done . The crests are only vinyl stickers and not something I have made any commitment to. They are more visually dominant in photos than in real life (they are only about as tall as the door handles are long). I suspect they are more of a white elephant to this group since the crests are unconventional and everyone here is really use to what these cars look like. I love the scuderia shields on Ferraris which is where the idea came from. I have gotten more positive feedback from non-owners who have seen the actual car and don't look at these cars every day. All that being said, my goal is to change up the look of the car every 6 months or so. Fortunately I work with some super talented designers and they're great at generating renderings to explore different design ideas. We have a large format printer in our office that can spit out vehicle graphics. I have been thinking the crests are a little high and maybe a little big (as many have commented). I might swap out another set in pursuit of optimizing this design before moving on to something else later this year. The favorite design on our drawing board is either a matte black whole car wrap with red accents or matte red with black accents. Not ready to do a whole car wrap yet, but can see a future when the whole car changes color every year or so. If nothing else I'll be able to keep giving the board something to opine on.

BTW, most important part is I LOVE driving this car. My daily driver is a 2011 BMW 750 and it costs twice as much and is half as fun. The 996 redefines acceleration.

Quick Reply: New ride is finally done. Take a look and let me know what you think.