Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ride is finally done. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
That's one of the reasons I bought mine. To have a little fun with it. Your taste and mine are different ( I'm a bit more subtle), but it looks like it was done well.

Hope tou get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Thanks for the note. My DD is a black 2011 7 Series so I have sublte covered. This ride will be more expressive for me. What are your favorite mods that you've done to yours? I am always looking for ideas (and excuses to spend money on a new toy).
Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
love the wheels hate the crests. theres a set of white gauges for sale on 6 speed. also get the numeric shifter and the new cup cables by numeric
Thanks for the note. Excuse my ignorance, but what is "the numeric shifter and new cup cables"? Not phrases known to me. I took a quick look on 6 speed and did not see the gauges. I'll look deeper but would love a link if you have one.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nick49
The crests are interesting and as expected most here so far don't like them. Obviously you so, so keep them. If everyone liked them, we'd all have them. I like what you did to your wheels and the lowering. I saw a car with red instruments and think it would look really nice with what you have done already. Keep it up, I love customized vehicles and really enjoy seeing what people come up with.
Thanks for the note. My first reaction was red gauges too. Not sure what I might want to do with the car in the future and thinking the red might be too much of a commitment. Part of the reason I am waiting a bit before swapping them out.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
Crests not my style. Keep us posted on rest. You in US?
Yep, US is home. I live in Pittsburgh, PA.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
If it's to your tastes, enjoy it. My thought is the crests are a too big and scream "Look, I'm a Porsche!!"
For a 13K mile car, has it had a full service done on all fluids, brakes, suspension, ignition, etc, ? Make sure its recorded for,future reference.

You mentioned short shifter; That should have been the first mod. Then maybe an aftermarket exhaust. Keep your stock parts, btw if you don't like the mods so you can always revert to stock.

The stance looks great and with new tires, it should be dialed in for a perfect weekend driver.

All black cars are a bit harder to personalize. Side skirts, wings and front spoilers from the various aftermarket manufacturers (or OEM) tend to be the trend. Maybe a vinyl wrap to change the big picture( the stripes you added are hardly seen over the black/red wheels). Vinyl can always be removed when you get bored and won't take up space.

Maybe Graphite (or anthracite or smoked or the new 991 Platinum color) wheels are played out, but that could be another option to try ....

If you're not the type to keep this car long-term, A bone stock , low mile Turbo will be the easiest to sell.....
Thanks for the note. Resale isn't much of a concern but good idea on keeping stock components on hand. I had a ton of maintenance stuff done to make sure the car was on a good baseline. Which short shifter did you do? I think I am going to do the radio and shifter at the same time since both will require taking the center console out.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rDaley
Thanks for the note. Resale isn't much of a concern but good idea on keeping stock components on hand. I had a ton of maintenance stuff done to make sure the car was on a good baseline. Which short shifter did you do? I think I am going to do the radio and shifter at the same time since both will require taking the center console out.
I purchased my 03TT with the SSK shifter installed. I like it. There is a thread here where Kevin (@UMW) is having a sale on the 997 GT3 shifter; definitely, a good route to take.
do a search for Numeric here; they look killer.

That's also a good decision to upgrade the head unit while the center console is out. I havent decided yet, since I have the Dension on the OEM radio and rarely play the music above the sound of the exhaust.
Speedtech, btw...
On the subject of center console... is yours painted or worth painting? If it's got some chips or worth the mod, maybe you could paint it gloss black to give the interior some character. other interior components in gloss black would look sharp or you can go other routes.... IMO, carbon fiber bits look awesome, but UV and extended exposure in hot climates will cause decay and cracks which doesn't makeup for the initial $$ outlay if purchased new....YMMV.

With your contacts in design and vinyl, you should definitley experiment with some photoshop or other forms of graphics and let us in on your ideas;
we'd be more than willing to provide an opinion......
Post pics!!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the note. My DD is a black 2011 7 Series so I have sublte covered. This ride will be more expressive for me. What are your favorite mods that you've done to yours? I am always looking for ideas (and excuses to spend money on a new toy).
Mostly of my upgrades have been mechanical in nature. X73 suspension, UMW tune, 997 GT3 SSK, Girodisk rotors, and stainless brake lines.

On the cosmetic side, 996 GT3 wheels, and I repainted the console and some other trim bits to break up the expanse of gray. I also plan to have the seats trimmed with alcantra, as well as the steering wheel and shifter. Maybe an exhaust and new sound system, but I'm about done.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

numeric racing builds a machined aluminum shifter and now have new cup shifter cables . its imo the best shifter setup on the market
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...eed-white.html
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Car looks good. Since you did the red accent, I would add a bit more red, red seat belts, interior stitching can be dyed ect. Also try wrapping your mirrors, and some exterior trim pieces in the same color. Check out the GT3RS type accent scheme.

I don't think that adding gold crests works, if it is the only gold on the car. I would do the same crest in a matte black vinyl. Or do them in matte black and with red "Porsche".

Tom
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tvurt
Car looks good. Since you did the red accent, I would add a bit more red, red seat belts, interior stitching can be dyed ect. Also try wrapping your mirrors, and some exterior trim pieces in the same color. Check out the GT3RS type accent scheme.

I don't think that adding gold crests works, if it is the only gold on the car. I would do the same crest in a matte black vinyl. Or do them in matte black and with red "Porsche".

Tom
I did the red seat belts and added floor mats with red binding and red turbo script. Thinking there will be some room for a bit more red on the interior.

Wanted to do the door stripe in red and the mirrors as you suggest was thinking maybe the top of the rear spolier too (which I think would send many on this forum into a seizure). The red on the wheels match the brake calipers and the red vinyl I have been able to get so far has a lot of orange in it and doesn't look right. The pursuit continues. Have been thinking about a nearly black porsche crest. The idea of including some red is an interesting one...thanks for the idea.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SSST
Mostly of my upgrades have been mechanical in nature. X73 suspension, UMW tune, 997 GT3 SSK, Girodisk rotors, and stainless brake lines.

On the cosmetic side, 996 GT3 wheels, and I repainted the console and some other trim bits to break up the expanse of gray. I also plan to have the seats trimmed with alcantra, as well as the steering wheel and shifter. Maybe an exhaust and new sound system, but I'm about done.
Any picts of your interior? I'd like to break up the black in mine as you suggest you have done to the grey in yours...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
numeric racing builds a machined aluminum shifter and now have new cup shifter cables . its imo the best shifter setup on the market
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...eed-white.html
Was about to get the 997 GT3 shifter that's been promoted on rennlist. Do you think it's worth the extra $600?

Thanks for the link to the dials. Haven't gotten to close to the project but was alarmed at the idea that the odometer info would be stored in the gauge cluster. The seller mentioned that the odometer in the gauge cluster he's selling can be reset by a third party. I am not focused on resale, but a modified odometer sounds like a flag that you don't want in your ECU. I assumed the car kept it's own odometer info and that the gauges just showed the data. Maybe it's better to just replace the faces on my gauges although I have heard its easy to break stuff in the process...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
rDaley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
I purchased my 03TT with the SSK shifter installed. I like it. There is a thread here where Kevin (@UMW) is having a sale on the 997 GT3 shifter; definitely, a good route to take.
do a search for Numeric here; they look killer.

That's also a good decision to upgrade the head unit while the center console is out. I havent decided yet, since I have the Dension on the OEM radio and rarely play the music above the sound of the exhaust.
Speedtech, btw...
On the subject of center console... is yours painted or worth painting? If it's got some chips or worth the mod, maybe you could paint it gloss black to give the interior some character. other interior components in gloss black would look sharp or you can go other routes.... IMO, carbon fiber bits look awesome, but UV and extended exposure in hot climates will cause decay and cracks which doesn't makeup for the initial $$ outlay if purchased new....YMMV.

With your contacts in design and vinyl, you should definitley experiment with some photoshop or other forms of graphics and let us in on your ideas;
we'd be more than willing to provide an opinion......
Post pics!!
Great thoughts all around. I have gotten the info on the 997GT3 shifter and will pull the trigger this PM (I think). Definately want to do something to the interior. My center console is in great shape so it doesn't need to be painted, but was thinking I might apply some vinyl when I have it out. Not sure...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I did the red seat belts and added floor mats with red binding and red turbo script. Thinking there will be some room for a bit more red on the interior.

Wanted to do the door stripe in red and the mirrors as you suggest was thinking maybe the top of the rear spolier too (which I think would send many on this forum into a seizure). The red on the wheels match the brake calipers and the red vinyl I have been able to get so far has a lot of orange in it and doesn't look right. The pursuit continues. Have been thinking about a nearly black porsche crest. The idea of including some red is an interesting one...thanks for the idea.
Here are some of my red tidbits (I like the black.red theme also...LOL)

Last edited by wross996tt; 04-10-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any picts of your interior? I'd like to break up the black in mine as you suggest you have done to the grey in yours...
Like I said. Subtle. I went with a couple of shades darker than the factory grahpite.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New ride is finally done. Take a look and let me know what you think.