Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:01 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

I also posted this in the wheel section but thought I would also post here with my TT brethren since I rarely look in that section.

So I just scored some ultra-rare GT3 OEM Porsche wheels with the offsets for my 996 TT. They have virtually unused Michelin Pilot tires and were stored in an office since 2003. Tires are stamped 4703 - produced the 47th week of 2003. They have no visual cracking or damage on the outside but should I take the risk to run them? I know the rule of thumb is 5 years and done but I assume that is because of exposure to UV rays and hot and cold temps. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:49 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use them or sell them to me
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
use them or sell them to me
I didn't know there was much of a demand for 9 year old tires....

Somehow I am guessing you are referring to the wheels.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I would use them as long as there is no cracking you are probably fine. Proper storage away from the elements is key. If you don't feel comfortable using them let me know!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Well, I just got off the phone with Michelin Customer Service and they said "no problem" running the tires. They said they don't recommend using their tires after they reach 10 years of manufacture date but since mine are only 8 years she said go for it. I said no safety concerns and she responded, "none what so ever". Hmm, learn something new everyday.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
BOOSTD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the others mentioned, as long as they are in good physical shape, there should be nothing wrong with using them. I would rather use tires stored away from the elements for 9 years than tires that have sat in someone's yard for 3 years.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I thought scoring the OEM wheels with no curbing for $500 and colored Porsche center caps was an awesome deal figuring the tires were trash. Now knowing I have a full set of Michelins to burn through is like Christmas in July, or at least very late June.

Thanks for all the advice. Now, anyone want to buy my OEM hollow spokes? I will be posting them when I get a chance.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

If the were stored in an office it sounds like they will be fine. The place to look for cracks is on the insides of the rears. When I bought my 2001 a couple of years ago it came with the original tires. They seemed fine but after I drove on them for 6 months the rear inside shoulders started to develop deep cracks by the logos.

So drive on them for while a check the rears. I wouldn't recommend doing a DE with them.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My brother gave me a set of 9yo semi-new p-zeros that he had stored in his storage unit all wrapped up in plastic. They were in great shape, but after I used them for about a year they developed cracks in the sidewalls. I prob put about 5k miles on them before I noticed. I wouldnt track them but DD should b fine. Just check them regularly and you should b good to go.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pnamueller
My brother gave me a set of 9yo semi-new p-zeros that he had stored in his storage unit all wrapped up in plastic. They were in great shape, but after I used them for about a year they developed cracks in the sidewalls. I prob put about 5k miles on them before I noticed. I wouldnt track them but DD should b fine. Just check them regularly and you should b good to go.
I believe the difference with your situation is a storage unit gets very hot and very cold depending on where you live and I have to believe this shortens the life of the rubber compared to an inside office that never varies more than 10 degrees.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I believe the difference with your situation is a storage unit gets very hot and very cold depending on where you live and I have to believe this shortens the life of the rubber compared to an inside office that never varies more than 10 degrees.
Yep, thats prob why I only got only 5k after a few months out of them before the cracking. His storage unit was not climate controlled.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

I got 19K miles and 10 Yrs out of the original Pirelli PZero's. I bought the car CPO from the dealer with 5K miles on it and 8 Yrs on the original tires. I kept them for another 2 Yrs and put 14K miles on them! I drove them until the inside of the rear tires started peeling off. The fronts were still good but I've changed anyway.
After all these Yrs they showed no signs of cracking,but I've been told the car has been kept by the original owner in a climate controlled garage,just like I'm doing myself now too.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:38 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pnamueller
Pirellis tend to crack really early as it is.

I'm running a set of 04 (I think) manufactured GT2 size tires in the rear right now as they came with a set of GT2 wheels I bought.

They seem to be holding up OK- but I keep an eye out for any cracking, and I probably wouldn't drive at high speeds in high temps for very long.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good lord. I've been trying to score those wheels for a year now and haven't come close. That's too old for tires. Even if they aren't cracked, the rubber compounds have started to break down. I wouldn't take the chance and end up ruining one of those wheels on a blow out.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Good lord. I've been trying to score those wheels for a year now and haven't come close. That's too old for tires. Even if they aren't cracked, the rubber compounds have started to break down. I wouldn't take the chance and end up ruining one of those wheels on a blow out.
Watch ebay......A set just failed to sell with an $800 reserve. Factory painted black, however. They were miss listed, so you have watch the offsets and size to figure out if they are wide body.

I was going to buy them but decided to stay married.

Tom

Quick Reply: 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?