Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dumped 12 year old Pilots off my 964 strictly because of age (only surface cracking). I had no idea how hard they had become until the new tires went on.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
SSST
Drifting

Originally Posted by tvurt
Watch ebay......A set just failed to sell with an $800 reserve. Factory painted black, however. They were miss listed, so you have watch the offsets and size to figure out if they are wide body.

I was going to buy them but decided to stay married.

Tom
I've had a couple of false alarms because of the offsets.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My owners manual (2004 TT Cab) has maximum age for tires listed as 6 years.

Why take a chance with it?

John in Vancouver
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures with my new kicks installed

I know the first comments will be how high the car sits - still factory. I agree it is looking like I am ready to go "mudding". Is my understanding that the only way to properly lower the car is to install PSS9s or similar? Is this how the modding begins?
Attached Images    
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM
pnamueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I know the first comments will be how high the car sits - still factory. I agree it is looking like I am ready to go "mudding". Is my understanding that the only way to properly lower the car is to install PSS9s or similar? Is this how the modding begins?
Wow those look sweet!! PSS9s are a good way to lower the car. So far its the only mod I have on mine. Im hoping for new wheels and an exhaust. Its a very slippery slope. Love the wheels
Old 06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

TOSS, tires dry out with age! they no longer will provide the security needed!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
TOSS, tires dry out with age! they no longer will provide the security needed!
Why would the manufacturer, Michelin, say they recommend 10 years from date of manufacture if there are in fact safety concerns. If anything, I would think they would say a shorter amount of time to sell more tires. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying'.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Why would the manufacturer, Michelin, say they recommend 10 years from date of manufacture if there are in fact safety concerns. If anything, I would think they would say a shorter amount of time to sell more tires. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying'.
Everyone loves waste other people's money.

Use your tires and just check them periodically and no DEs, you will be fine.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:47 AM
SSST
Drifting

If you are going to risk those wheels with 9 year old tires, I suggest you sell them to me to keep them safe . I will hunt you down and hurt you if you have a blow out and ruin one of those wheels. Seriously, I really wouldn't risk it.

As for the suspension, the best option is X73. I love mine. The only problem is they stopped making it. PSS10 is the next best option
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
If you are going to risk those wheels with 9 year old tires, I suggest you sell them to me to keep them safe . I will hunt you down and hurt you if you have a blow out and ruin one of those wheels. Seriously, I really wouldn't risk it.

As for the suspension, the best option is X73. I love mine. The only problem is they stopped making it. PSS10 is the next best option
Now that I bolted the wheels on my car it somehow looks like it is sitting higher than with my sport technos - obviously an illusion. It is really bothering me though so I am either going to change the suspension or sell the wheels..... SSST, you absolutely get first right of refusal. I was really planning to keep the car 100% stock but the ride height is triggering my OCD something awful.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 AM
SSST
Drifting

You're right. They do look like crap on your car. LOL!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Now that I bolted the wheels on my car it somehow looks like it is sitting higher than with my sport technos - obviously an illusion. It is really bothering me though so I am either going to change the suspension or sell the wheels..... SSST, you absolutely get first right of refusal. I was really planning to keep the car 100% stock but the ride height is triggering my OCD something awful.
if i may? if you'd like to lower your car without incurring costly parts, lowering springs might do the trick. h&r springs are about $350.00 frt/r and will provide a wicked 1 inch drop all around. the difference in the stance as well as handling, particularly through fast corners will astound you. stock height is ridiculous ( imo ).

of course that *should* eventually lead you to h&r or gt3 sway bars, alignment, even wider wheels/tires etc etc etc..it begins with one seemingly innocent purchase....

back OT.. i run new ( but old ) N rated ps2's that i get off ebay for nearly half price. they look and perform as if new. near as i can tell!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

This is completely normal. The suspension just needs to settle. Go take it for a short drive and it will be back to normal.

Dan
Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I originally used RUF lowering springs only to lower my car. Was a cheap fix relatively. Then I found the ride was way to hard for street use so went back and did it right with PSS10's. Ride is better and height still at the right level.

John in Vancouver
Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toss any tire older than six years.

Quick Reply: 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?