Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Okay some seem to think 10 yrs is okay, and other say some like to waste other peoples money. I guess they have an opiniion but if you are traveling at over 100 or high double digits do youe really want to be on 9 year old tires? You really want to take the chance?

Here is a tidbit of info:
"Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year. The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire.

Heat: NHTSA research has found that tires age more quickly in warmer climates. NHTSA also found that environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates can hasten the aging process. People who live in warm weather and coastal states should keep this in mind when deciding whether they should retire a tire."

So why chance it? Life and your car is more important than those who have opinions that doin't reflect safety!
I'm guessing that ' 10 Yrs old tires ' comment was directed at me. Keep in mind that I didn't encourage him to do the same as I did,I was just sharing my experience.
You don't really inspire safety either when you're talking about 3 digits speeds.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm guessing that ' 10 Yrs old tires ' comment was directed at me. Keep in mind that I didn't encourage him to do the same as I did,I was just sharing my experience.
You don't really inspire safety either when you're talking about 3 digits speeds.
Ditto for me. All I am saying is that his tires are probably in the same shape as others that are four-five years old.

The key is, as I do with my tires, is to inspect them. I inspect all the tires on all my cars several times a year and it has save my butt a few times. You would be amazed as the stuff you find jammed in them.

Age is only one aspect. The key is to inspect them. You can clearly see if a tire is dry rotting you just have to look.

And the tire manufacturer themselves said his tires were fine. How much more do you want?

If you want to be safe inspect them don't just though them away and waste them. And if safety is such an issue then I guess none of us should go racing or DEing or even drive anywhere because there is far greater risk of death and injury from those activities than a tire blow out.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toss 'em. They'll be hard and produce both a harsh ride and poor adhesion!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my car came with brand new PS2s and I have driven it a few thousand miles the last couple of months. I installed the new wheels and old tires (Michelin Pilots) and have driven a few hundred miles. I notice no difference so far. Ride quality is the same and I don't notice any more slipping than before with my new PS2s. Again, for those late to this thread, the tires were stored in an office (no sun or severe temperature changes). The rubber on the new and old tires appears the same under close inspection; no cracks or appearance of dryness. I am used to closely watching my tires from 10+ years of track driving where tires last two weekends (1 weekend of racing, next weekend practice, then trash). I agree I need to watch the tires but with Michelin telling me there are not concerns until 10+ years from date of manufacture and know how they have been stored I am not too concerned. Michelin information learned after I started this post.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
Toss 'em. They'll be hard and produce both a harsh ride and poor adhesion!
What information are you basing this opinion on?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Close-up of tire - purposely uploaded a large picture.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Picture of 3 month old PS2 tire
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When are you going to post pics of the lowered car?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
When are you going to post pics of the lowered car?
I am in SoCal with the family on vacation and won't pickup the car until this Saturday.

On another note, it does appear the car is sitting higher with the GT2/GT3 wheels if you compare the pictures. I had driven the car many miles before the picture was taken so it is not due to the suspension not settling. I wonder if Michelin changed the actual diameter of the tire with the new model?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
SSST
Drifting

I was thinking the Sport Technos looked taller. I think it is probably all perception. The GT3s look great and I suspect with a little lowering with the PSS10s it is going to look and and drive fantastic.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet everyone on this board has taken their TT Pcar to triple digit speeds that's a given! So if it's a practice then safety = good rubber. So its not me advocating triple digit speeds, it is what it is! BTW an outside inspection is just that, the outside only. The inside is another consideration! Rubber can become defective inside and out!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I bet everyone on this board has taken their TT Pcar to triple digit speeds that's a given! So if it's a practice then safety = good rubber. So its not me advocating triple digit speeds, it is what it is! BTW an outside inspection is just that, the outside only. The inside is another consideration! Rubber can become defective inside and out!
i agree, but also run the older n rated ( albeit newly mounted ) ps2's. i'm going to be pissed if i have to buy again at tirerack retail prices, but will if i must.

i like some folks skimp on stuff from time to time. but anything involving rubber, and esp my tires at *potentially* triple digit speeds, i think of in very prophylactic terms.

it can be said: rubber saves lives. don't cheap out
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

I just picked up my car Saturday after having the PSS10s installed. The car is slightly lower than GT2 spec and the alignment is GT2 spec. I went ahead and added my factory 17mm spacers to the front as the wheels were sitting in too much. I drove the car to Evergreen yesterday and pushed it pretty hard and it is so much better than before - unbelievable. The ride is actually better over the rough stuff but it handles much closer to my former race car; very crisp turn-in. I apologize for the crappy iPhone pictures. It is very rainy in Denver so I will post some good shots later this week.
Attached Images     
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM
SSST
Drifting

Looks great. Dammit.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great! Did you do any other suspension parts, such as toe links, control arms, etc?

Quick Reply: 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?