Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Looks great! Did you do any other suspension parts, such as toe links, control arms, etc?
No, I spoke to my mechanic and he said most of that "stuff" is not as good as the factory. He works on GT3 cups, RSRs and really knows his stuff so I trust him 100%. it was tempting but I am now considering a Europipe loud so I will be saving my pennies.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No mods huh? LOL. It's addictive isn't it? Whatever you do, don't get one of Kevin's tunes.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
No mods huh? LOL. It's addictive isn't it? Whatever you do, don't get one of Kevin's tunes.
I am not really modding so much as correcting what Porsche delivered. I think I read in one of LVDell's posts this doesn't count as a mod. The factory struts were almost dangerous in their wandering nature. Now the exhaust may be counted as a mod but after listening to the clips on Europipes' website I am not sure I can resist. I loved the straight pipes on my former 911 and the killer rumble. In the end, I am just opening up the soundstage a bit to hear the fine music the motor can create. Finally, I am embarrassed to admit I have already corresponded with Kevin but with 21 months left on my CPO he suggested waiting. So, in the end I guess you are correct, this is addictive. This is how I went from buying my first stock Porsche in 1999 and club racing in less than 1 year; not that I would consider ever racing my TT but I am enjoying the drive so much more now with the PSS10s. I learned it is always better to buy a built race car that do it from scratch.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
I am not really modding so much as correcting what Porsche delivered.
That was exactly my approach.

Modifications aren't a hobby of mine, and I'm not into "customization". I liked a lot about my Turbo in its stock form, but it was lacking in several areas; mainly it was too "GT'ish" and didn't represent what I thought the Turbo should be in terms of "Porsche sports car".

After getting the car on-target for what I wanted I haven't done a thing to it.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am under a CPO as well, but Kevin preserved my stock tune in case I ever need to reload it for warranty work. Once the CPO is expired, I plan to do the stage 2a thing. 490 HP and 500+ lb/ft or torque is starting to feel a bit sluggish.

Where will it end?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i was in a similar position in my last tt, vis a vis the warranty, so i didn't mod, and waited it out in my "sluggish" x50 car. i'm not sure i could or would justify buying all the stuff i have on my current car ( a bunch of bolt on's, no small change for the previous owner! ), without seriously considering going into a 997.2 or at least 997.1.

in spite of how insanely fast and even reliable my car is for an old bitch. it's still gettin "up there". how are ya gonna put $20k worth of mods to a 10 year old car. i just don't see it. too many great 996t examples with existing mods already out there. my 02.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
No, I spoke to my mechanic and he said most of that "stuff" is not as good as the factory. He works on GT3 cups, RSRs and really knows his stuff so I trust him 100%. it was tempting but I am now considering a Europipe loud so I will be saving my pennies.
I've heard that rationale as well. At least go with the PMNA parts is what I hear.

Did he steer you toward the PSS10 over the KWV3s?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Where will it end?
For me it ended with the inability to practically use more power because of current state laws (speed limits) and traction issues.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I've heard that rationale as well. At least go with the PMNA parts is what I hear.

Did he steer you toward the PSS10 over the KWV3s?
No, we really only discussed the PSS10s or HDs. I didn't research much before buying the PSS10s but I know many people who use them or the 9s. I basically decided on a whim to change the suspension after installing new wheels. I have spent big money on suspension in the past (Motons, spherical bearings, etc.) but since I plan to drive the TT 95% on the street I just wanted something that would lower the car and firm up the ride when desired.

Quick Reply: 9 year old Michelin Pilots - use or toss?