Yokohama tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Yokohama tires

Does anyone have current experience with Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 tires in OEM sizes:

1. Noise
2. Wet/dry performance for street driving
3. Any other pros and/or cons and considerations
Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just put a set on my Turbo. 235/40/18 front and 295/30/18 rear. 36/40 PSI.

So far, I am very pleased. Slightly better than my Kumho SPT in the same sizes.

1) My exhaust is pretty loud, so, not too concerned about tire noise.
2) I don't drive in the rain. Other Rennlisters I know run these for autocross and experienced D.E.'s
3) Cost more than Kumho but less than Michelins.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have always been pleased with Yoko's since the 008 series. Unfortunately the neovas are not available in my size, but I am using the advan sports and am pleased with them.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Darth GF
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them on my Lotus Elise (oem tires) and were great tires!

So when the piece of crap Sumimotos I had on my car needed replacement I went for the Neovas.

Noise is not bad. Probably a bit more noisy than less aggressive thread design, but it is not concern for at all. My stock exhaust covers the sound of the tires... so for me, not a problem.

In terms of outright grip, it is as high as any street tire need to be. If you need more grip than this tire can give you on the street, then you are a very aggressive driver and will probably find yourself in prison for reckless driving. On the track, well, this is a street tire, so it won't last. It will overheat and chunk. For the track get slicks or at the very least semi-slicks.

Rain, I tested my new UWM X50 tune for the first time in the rain at 5C. About the worst conditions for a high performance tire. It was very stable and had very surprising good grip. The only thing is my tires were new when I tested it in the rain. I know from experience with the Elise that wet grip will be average to poor when the tires have less than 50% life in them. But It might be different with the Porsche...

Anything I would add? Well, for the price, in the stock size, I don't think anything beats it. But, it depends on your expectations. If you want to do 200mph in your car, I don't think these are rated for that. Forget about winter driving (duh).
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have them...have not DE'd them....

see: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...xperience.html

Love them. Sticky, seem to wear well, very predictable....good in rain so far (awd helps too...). I have about 2000 miles on them, so take the rain data with a grain of salt.

For routine stuff, I liked my sumi's...but these have such a stiff sidewall that I'll probably never be able to go back. Just love them. Only tire I wish I could get is the Micheline super sport...but not sure that is actually better.

These have a low temp warning....you need to keep them over, I think, about 18F or 14F or they'll get damaged. I could be wrong on the temp....just fyi. Plan to keep buying them unless some new uber tire comes out. Also, would love if Michelin matched pricing with others.....it will never happen, but one can always hope.

Mine are OEM size on painted hollow spoke OEM rims.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Default Yokohamas great tires

Originally Posted by Dock
Does anyone have current experience with Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 tires in OEM sizes:

1. Noise
2. Wet/dry performance for street driving
3. Any other pros and/or cons and considerations
Excellent tires, my favorite, and the rear can be rotated left to right on rear to get even more use out of them, as good camber wears the inside more
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth GF
I had them on my Lotus Elise (oem tires) and were great tires!

Some when the piece of crap Sumimotos).
Why do you consider the Sumis crap?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Love mine, use for DE and to get to/fro in and out of town events. They last long, don't hear much noise, they feel good in the wet. I run them 30 ft 30 rear cold for DE and 34 ft 39 rear for street. Almost done with my first set but actually prefer these over MPSC r compounds. They communicate very well at the limit and break slowly.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

BTW I run them on a 996 tt in stock sizes on stock rims. The fronts are pretty meaty ie wide, they square up to the rim and I could not imagine what a 235 would do.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Love mine, use for DE and to get to/fro in and out of town events. They last long, don't hear much noise, they feel good in the wet. I run them 30 ft 30 rear cold for DE and 34 ft 39 rear for street. Almost done with my first set but actually prefer these over MPSC r compounds. They communicate very well at the limit and break slowly.
More good info. Thanks.

I'm going to order a set tomorrow...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Darth GF
Track Day

Originally Posted by Lance 4c
Why do you consider the Sumis crap?
Well the grip was crap. I would power-oversteer easily in 2nd gear on on-ramps getting on the highway where the Neovas just grip grip grip.

The Sumis are great if you want a cheap tire and don't worry about grip to much. Like someone that uses their car for commuting. But with 500+hp and 550lbs.ft, I don't want a tire that slips every time I hit the throttle. And I'm very aggressive in the turns (former F2000 racer and BMWCCA instructor) so I want a very predictable tire I can push safely. Though drifting the Sumis was fun...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth GF
Well the grip was crap. I would power-oversteer easily in 2nd gear on on-ramps getting on the highway where the Neovas just grip grip grip.

The Sumis are great if you want a cheap tire and don't worry about grip to much. Like someone that uses their car for commuting. But with 500+hp and 550lbs.ft, I don't want a tire that slips every time I hit the throttle. And I'm very aggressive in the turns (former F2000 racer and BMWCCA instructor) so I want a very predictable tire I can push safely. Though drifting the Sumis was fun...
The tread on my Sumitomos wasn't straight- resulting in a vibration at speed.

On a tire balancer, you could see the tread pattern move back and forth slightly...

Much happier with my PS2s. Only wish the PSS was available in 315 30 18...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have ADVAN Sports, 315's in the rear and I think 235's in front. I think they're good. Quiet, smooth and grip pretty well though I have not put them to the limit.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:26 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Taken from our test on the tire:

* What We Liked: Laser-sharp steering response and balance of dry and wet traction
* What We'd Improve: A modest reduction in tire impact noise
* Conclusion: Race tire-like handling and traction for the street

Extreme Performance Summer tires are not ordinary by any standards. Designed to bring race tire-like performance to the street, today's Extreme Performance Summer tires are capable of delivering ultimate dry traction levels on par with yesterday's dedicated track tires. All this while still providing longer treadwear and more reasonable road manners than any track tire could ever deliver.

This year there is a bumper crop of new Extreme Performance Summer tires with new products from Bridgestone, Kumho and Yokohama. To find out how these new tires perform, the Tire Rack team conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive comparing the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Kumho Ecsta XS and Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 with the winner of our last Extreme Performance Summer tire test, the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. Our evaluation used 2008 BMW E92 328i coupes with new, full tread depth 225/45R17 tires mounted on 17x8.0" wheels.

What We Learned on the Road

Our 6.6-mile loop of expressway, state highway and county roads provides a great variety of road conditions that include city and highway speeds, smooth and coarse concrete, as well as new and patched asphalt. This route allows our team to experience noise comfort, ride quality and everyday handling, just as you would during your drive to school or work.

Our team found the entire group displayed excellent handling and nimble responsiveness, hallmarks of the Extreme Performance Summer category. The Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 delivered the most responsive steering of the group, reacting immediately to driver inputs. The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec was right behind, also feeling crisp and responsive. Turning the steering wheel with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires required a little more effort, but gave a reassuring feel to the driver. The Kumho Ecsta XS was also well liked, but displayed a small dead spot on center then responded quickly as more steering input was put in by the driver.

The Potenza RE-11 showed a clear advantage over the other three tires in the test for overall ride quality, doing a surprisingly good job (for an Extreme Performance Summer tire) rounding over the sharper bumps and expansion joints along the route. The ride quality of the ADVAN Neova AD08 was 2nd best in the group, noticeably better than its predecessor the ADVAN Neova AD07. Our team did notice this tire produced lots of impact noise creating the impression that its ride was rougher than it actually was if you were to factor out the impact sound. The ride quality of the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec was found to be slightly firmer than the RE-11 and AD08 with modest harshness felt when driving over sharper impacts. The Ecsta XS proved to have ride comfort appropriate for the category, but was the firmest of the group.

All four tires in this test did produce noticeable tread pattern noise volume and none would be confused for the quiet ride of a touring tire. But the Potenza RE-11 and ADVAN Neova AD08 both did a good job hiding their tread noise levels by generating a broad, white noise that often disappeared into the background of surrounding traffic and wind noise as speeds increased. The Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and Ecsta XS tires both produced several distinct tones or growls at certain speeds making their tread noise more apparent than the others.

What We Learned on the Test Track

Our 1/3-mile per lap test track course includes 90-degree street corners, lane changes and simulated expressway ramps. Run in both dry and wet conditions, the test track allows our team to experience the traction, responsiveness, handling and drivability normally only encountered during abrupt emergency avoidance maneuvers or competition events.

Our team always looks forward to testing Extreme Performance Summer tires under dry track conditions and this group did not disappoint. The Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08's steering response was quick and precise, braking was sure-footed and overall handling felt well-balanced which combined to help this tire deliver the fastest overall lap time of the test. The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec was close behind, also aided by responsive handling and excellent traction during transitions, cornering and braking. The Kumho Ecsta XS provided exceptional ultimate grip around our skidpad breaking the 1.0g barrier for the first time in our product test history. What this tire gained in ultimate grip was given back in a lack of precision, however, as vehicle transitions felt somewhat less in phase with driver inputs than the others, making it harder to maximize the tire's performance during rapid transitions. Rounding out the group just 2/10ths second behind the first place Yokohama was the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. This tire proved to be a favorite for many of our team thanks to its confidence-inspiring handling that allowed drivers of varied skill levels to comfortably explore the limits and maximize tire performance.

Things were just as close in the wet, too, with the Potenza RE-11 edging out the others by the slimmest of margins. In addition to the fastest lap time, the RE-11 was able to generate the highest average g forces and the fastest slalom segment time of this test thanks to its high level of wet grip and predictable handling. The steering response and overall handling of the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec felt comfortably in harmony, providing driver confidence and quick lap times. The quick steering response of the ADVAN Neova AD08 in the dry made this tire feel a little nervous and edgy in the wet requiring smooth inputs. In the end, the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec and ADVAN Neova AD08 lapped our track with identical average times despite the noticeable difference in subjective feel. Rounding out the group was the Ecsta XS which displayed noticeably less overall wet traction than the other three tires. The lack of precision felt in the dry carried over more noticeably to the wet making this tire a bit hard to control at the limit.

Quick Reply: Yokohama tires