Sponsored by:

Yokohama tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

One of my concerns is that the Yokohama AD08 tires are "R" rated (106 mph). There are times when it is appropriate for the car to exceed 106 mph; not for prolonged periods, so it may not be an issue in terms of safety. But if average speeds had been above 70-80 mph for some time, a run above 106 mph may be something to think about in terms of tire safety.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Darth GF
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
One of my concerns is that the Yokohama AD08 tires are "R" rated (106 mph). There are times when it is appropriate for the car to exceed 106 mph; not for prolonged periods, so it may not be an issue in terms of safety. But if average speeds had been above 70-80 mph for some time, a run above 106 mph may be something to think about in terms of tire safety.
That is incorrect.

The AD08 are ZR W= 168mph or 270kmh. Which can be too low for some, but probably enough for most. Even though a tire has been rated to 270kmh doesn't mean you can't go 280kmh, just that the manufacturer doesn't recommend the tires for those kind of speed. They could overheat and fail. But for a short amount of time, I wouldn't mind going over the designed limit.

The Porsche OEM tires are rated (99Y) meaning no speed limit (excess of 300kmh). You do pay a hefty premium for that rating and it's only relevant if you do 300kmh+ for sustained period of time. Like the lucky few that live close to the Autobahn. Not worth paying more for (99Y) tires for the speed rating alone unless you need it.

Maybe the mile/high speed racers could chime in with their thoughts.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Darth GF...for USA street use and perhaps even track they are fine. It was a rare person going over 160 at VIR....and tires heat up for a host of other reason on a DE day.

I really like the Sumi's for what they offer in terms of price point. But these are just way better and I have moved along to using them as my main tire now - in very cold weather, I drive another vehicle now (used to commute in snow...not with the Porsche now....). These are just wonderful tires. Michelin should be ashamed they don't offer their top of the line tires in our size now.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
thomapa1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity - what's the main reason to look at the AD08s vs the PS/2? Something you did not care for with the PS/2s? cost savings? just looking to try something else?

I recently went with the Sumimotos all around - while inexpensive and OK for commutes, I don't know that I will be happy with them for aggressive driving. PS/2s appear to be the most popular performance street tire. While expensive is 'only' +$270 over the Yokos (if replacing all 4).

Just curious.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Just out of curiosity - what's the main reason to look at the AD08s vs the PS/2? Something you did not care for with the PS/2s? cost savings? just looking to try something else?

I recently went with the Sumimotos all around - while inexpensive and OK for commutes, I don't know that I will be happy with them for aggressive driving. PS/2s appear to be the most popular performance street tire. While expensive is 'only' +$270 over the Yokos (if replacing all 4).

Just curious.
Good questions. For me, it was:

1) I love PS2's, have 'em on my Boxster
2) Did not want to spend "Michelin money"
3) Super Sports not in my size yet (295/30/18 and 235/40/18)
4) Wanted to try a "better" tire than the current Kumhos (the Kumhos have been really GREAT)
5) Did NOT want to try another "value" tire like the Kumhos, so I did not consider the Sumis or Hankooks
6) Things like wet traction (I don't take the toys out on rainy days) and road noise (I have bypass on the Turbo) are a non issue for me
7) I know guys who Autocross and DE (fast run groups) the AD08's

These are the thoughts that come to my mind first. Very happy with them so far. I only have about 800 miles on them, with only one spirited drive (120 miles worth) so I am looking forward to another run this weekend if the +102 temps start to moderate.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Delete

Last edited by Dock; 07-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomapa1
Just out of curiosity - what's the main reason to look at the AD08s vs the PS/2? Something you did not care for with the PS/2s?
Cost isn't a factor.

The AD08's appear to have stiffer sidewalls than the PS2s, and although I like everything else about the PS2s, the sidewall stiffness falls short for me.

Another VERY, VERY slight disadvantage of the AD08s vs the PS2s is that the AD08s weight about 2 lbs more/tire. In terms of steering feel I doubt I'd ever notice (the stiffer sidewall advantage might make up for the weight disadvantage).
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the stiff sidewall a lot...a lot.

On the weight..did not know that...the tread is very big blocked, so there is also very little tread squirm...none really. To me, the AD08's feel like rails. I don't have the experience to say if it is tread/sidewall/other.

Ultimately, I am happy. My next tire might be the supersports if they ever come in our size(s).....Michelin once said it would in the future and that future may never happen....the worldwide economic issues cannot be good for them and 295/30/18 is not a big seller I suspect.

jb
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad i found this thread. Ive been contemplating the O8s for some time. 180 tread wear rating is unique and if you are not trailoring to DE events this seems like a great option. Anyone have any data in comparison to NT01s? The nitto has been my preferred tire but the 2.5 hr. drive to sebring on nt01 could turn into a nightmare with heavy rains.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hardback
Glad i found this thread. Ive been contemplating the O8s for some time.
I still haven't had these tires put on yet as I've been out of town for over three weeks, but hopefully I'll be able to have them mounted soon and I'll report back on my impressions when I've driven them.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may never need to go 190, but it's nice to know the tires are up to it just in case.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
You may never need to go 190, but it's nice to know the tires are up to it just in case.
Given the right conditions, I'd easily let my designated performance driver take the Yokos up to 190 mph for a brief period.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Given the right conditions, I'd easily let my designated performance driver take the Yokos up to 190 mph for a brief period.
Actually I'm not sure my Hankooks are rated that high either. They are great every day tires. They ride great, are quiet, and have excellent wet and dry traction, but they are vague when you push them hard.

I'll probably go back to PS2, but will be interested in your long term impressions of the Yokos.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
I'll probably go back to PS2, but will be interested in your long term impressions of the Yokos.
I've had one set of Pirellis, and two sets of Michelins. I'm looking forward to the change.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

change for the sake of change!? from oem pirelli's, to ps2's, to ad08's. that doesn't sound like forward progress to me. i mean, why on tires? stiffer sidewall on the ad08's from the ps2's?! i can't imagine. but you'd know better than i.

i do hope you like them, and would really like to know of viable alternatives to pirelli's or ps2's ( the two best choices i think, and NOT surprised you ran them both ). what confuses me is you're willing to put tires on your car that the mfg does not certify at speeds your car is capable of out of the box. forgive my presumption, but it seems so out of character. i would feel safe at top speed in either pirelli's or michelin's but i have not had another tire i could say the same about. again, i hope they work well for you and would like to hear of your impressions. good luck with them.

Quick Reply: Yokohama tires