Sponsored by:

finally went to look at GTR at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM
polar3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally went to look at GTR at dealership

When the new GTR was first released, I was excited but that feeling quickly went away when I saw how it looked. I never really thought much of it since then. Recently though, I've been reading the crazy hp#'s being produced by tuning companys and it got my attention again. I went to go see one in person at the local nissan dealership today. I couldn't believe how big the car looked. I sat inside and the interior didn't do anything for me either. I walked away disappointed. It's ashame b/c the performance potential is unreal. Anyone else with a 996tt look to jump ship? What were your thoughts of the GTR?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

It's as ugly as it is fast.

I just can't do it!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 178 Posts

I thought about looking at them used before I got my 996TT, but at the time the prices were hovering easily 10k over the Turbos, and I had reservations about a car with paddle shifters and unknowns about servicing such a transmission if it were to have issues.

I don't mind the look of the car inside or out, but there are going to be some tradeoffs when you get performance like that for such a bargain. It certainly won't be as classy on the inside as a Porsche, but you either pick a Porsche at a similar price point and have comparatively pathetic performance, or you buy a new Turbo and are out an extra 50-60k.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by polar3
When the new GTR was first released, I was excited but that feeling quickly went away when I saw how it looked. I never really thought much of it since then. Recently though, I've been reading the crazy hp#'s being produced by tuning companys and it got my attention again. I went to go see one in person at the local nissan dealership today. I couldn't believe how big the car looked. I sat inside and the interior didn't do anything for me either. I walked away disappointed. It's ashame b/c the performance potential is unreal. Anyone else with a 996tt look to jump ship? What were your thoughts of the GTR?
And how does this have to do anything with the 996TT???
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I think they are a great car!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

They are not for everyone but are fast as hell, handle great even though they are heavy but the auto kills it for me. My buddy has one and purely stock it went 10.97 at 124, unreal fast. NO MODS
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
It's as ugly as it is fast.

I just can't do it!!!
^^^^
That pretty well sums it up right here!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want 'bang for the buck', buy the new Camaro ZL1.
My friend has a deposit on one and should have it delivered in June.
By all the reviews and data I've seen, it's a pretty good value.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The GTR if you launch without launch control you can void the warranty. Seems I have read many places that without launch control, these cars have a tendancy to break the drive train.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 03-30-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 PM
polar3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
The GTR if you launch without launch control you can void the warranty. Seems I have read many places that without launch control, these cars have a tendancy to break the drive train.
That was another issue that plagued the GTR at first release. All this talk about transmission failure and voided warranties. I've read that the transmission has been beefed up in the 2012 model. Along with other upgrades.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

any and all issues with the GTR transmission were fixed long ago through dealer updates. Now you can L/C to your hearts content..

As for a Camaro Zl-1.. there was a recent magazine compro between it and a GTR.. The GTR didnt beat it, it obliterated it.. Personally I had a new Camaro as a rental once, if were 1000hp and 20K I wouldnt want it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by polar3
That was another issue that plagued the GTR at first release. All this talk about transmission failure and voided warranties. I've read that the transmission has been beefed up in the 2012 model. Along with other upgrades.
Looks like you're a big fan of the GTR. You should definitely get one. They are faster than Porsches,have better handling,better looking,better,better...better....most importantly CHEAPER. So what's your struggle about...go for it! And once you do,there's a forum for them...I believe it's called Nissan.
IMO most people here know all these things about the GTR,yet they choose Porsche.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 PM
polar3
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
Looks like you're a big fan of the GTR. You should definitely get one. They are faster than Porsches,have better handling,better looking,better,better...better....most importantly CHEAPER. So what's your struggle about...go for it! And once you do,there's a forum for them...I believe it's called Nissan.
IMO most people here know all these things about the GTR,yet they choose Porsche.
Yikes, you totally missed my point. I'm not a GTR cheerleader at all. Guess I'll keep it strictly porsche chat from now on
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take one for sure. I'm sure some day I will.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't deny what those cars can do. I hate how they look and how they are automatic and anybody's grandma can drive them fast. Takes away from the driving experience when it is not a challenge. That said, they are amazing cars with great abilities. It all comes to personal tastes. Many people eat them up for their status, popularity and performance statistics before their own tastes. All in all if you like them, you can't go wrong buying one.

Quick Reply: finally went to look at GTR at dealership