Sponsored by:

finally went to look at GTR at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by polar3
Yikes, you totally missed my point. I'm not a GTR cheerleader at all. Guess I'll keep it strictly porsche chat from now on
Don't get me wrong,you can write about anything you want and you can have your own opinions in the matter.
I guess I see too many comparisons like this all the time.
Like others have stated here,if you decide to get a GTR and you like it,you can't really go wrong.
Speaking for myself,after reading your post,I can't be convinced that the GTR will bring me the joy and thrills of my 996TT. And I did test drive a GTR. But maybe it's just me...
Good luck and enjoy it in good health!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:41 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Now let me put it this way...I might consider changing my 996TT soon. For around 100K,I could get a brand new better performing GTR...,or I could get me a 997.2 GT3 with around 5-6K miles on it and remaining warranty,possibly CPO from a Porsche dealer with good ownership history. Which one would you get? Which one is a more exciting car? Which one gives you more thrills,looks? Which one is more of a DRIVER's car? No doubt the GT3 IMO.
And all this madness about the new GTR these days,compared with a base 991 or 991S???!!! Come on people!!! Let me remind you that the 2009 GTR model was smashed by the Porsche Turbo at that time. And now we want to compare the 2013 GTR model as they call it,which packs a 3.8 Twin Turbo V6 making almost 550HP with a 991S of 400HP!!!
I can't wait for Porsche to come with the 991 Turbo,the GT versions etc and then we will see how far the GTR can be seen through a magnifying glass.
In the meantime,all you GTR fans out there,be very careful...and let me remind you NOT to turn off the traction control on your cars or launch the car WITHOUT launch control,as the onboard computer will register this sort of events and VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the GTR... Hell, my daily driver these days is an Evo which is like the GTRs long lost cousin from the ghetto...

That said, the sales #s kind of tell the tale. Even at HALF the price and arguably BETTER overall performance, Nissan sells fewer GTRs than Porsche sells *supercars* (much less base 911s) Its a tough sell for me because of the styling and, hate to say it, the branding. I lived with the same thing through 3 NSXs over the past 13 years. Having a $100K Japanese car is just an odd experience. The dealers completely suck and are not equipped *at all* to handle the level of customer they are getting, friends and family are extremely confused by the car, and you end up being the pied piper for legions of 17 year old boys.

Every time I consider what might be my next "big" car (Im between "big" cars right now), I come down to this same choice... An older 911 turbo, or a newer, quicker, GTR. What sort of answers it for me is given *unlimited* funds, I'd immediately put an order in for a 991 turbo S. That kind of says it all.

A 996TT isnt exactly a poor performer and, having owned a 996 C2 and having been in *many* GTRs, I can say that the 911 is, IMO, a nicer place to be. The GTR feels big and heavy (and is really) and, to me at least, moves much much closer to "big GT" (in terms of subjective driver feel) than the 911 which, again IMO, slides far closer to "true sports car". Not saying the 911 is an Elise or S2000, but its a hell of a lot closer to that than the GTR is.

In some ways the GTR almost reminds me of the Viper SRT-10 or the Vette Z06 in terms of that cabin feel. I prefer cars that are quick, but also *feel* small and light and "connected".

Im sure Ill get into a GTR at some point so I can check it off my bucket list, and because it *is* an amazing technical achievement and I am an absolute tech fanatic, but I do feel that the #s really dont tell the full tale on this one (makes it tough for the bench racing crowd)
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Someone mentioned the Camaro zl1 and yes it's a fast car but at the same time at what point will the American car maker stop showing v16's with 12L engine and blower on them to make them faster and actually take some weight out of these pigs, work out the interior a bit better and suspension. The zl1 is some 4100lbs +, that's HUGE. How long you think tires and brakes will last on these bad boys when someone brings them to the track and isn't a professional?
Gtr is heavy yes but with a few things done power wise I recall Mr. Keen aka Brumos driver take the GTR around daytona and come within a few seconds of the DP cars lasp times, on all season tires and stock suspension.
I do like the new Shelby with the Bilsteins, lighter weight, sticker price less then a vette yet 200+ top speed and just a better overall car.
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=35567
Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, the ZL1 is heavy, but modern Porsche Turbos are not exactly svelte.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
...Let me remind you that the 2009 GTR model was smashed by the Porsche Turbo at that time...
Can you point me at that comparison/reference?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The looks of the GTR just don't do it for me either and that's what keeps me fairly disinterested. But, if that is ever fixed I might just start saving my pennies...

I'm also a big Corvette fan and I love the looks of them but the interior just kills it for me. I bought a new 1986 Vette with the 4+3 transmission and back in the day that car was just amazing to drive, but talk about a GROSS interior - looked like the interior was crafted entirely from those plastic 6-slot cassette holders...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

LTC yes the new TT's aren't lite but they don't feel it when you drive them.
Corvette interior...uhmm hmmm ya no comment.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at acceleration times, the first GTRs run pretty much even with 996tt X50. Around 11.9sec to 120mph in the 1/4. The new GTRs are indeed a bit faster (low 11s).

The new GTRs are also faster around tracks, but unless you make a living going in circles, what does it matter really? You will lose pub bragging rights, but in the end, I'd rather go home in a 996tt than a GTR.

I just bought a 996tt and really considered a GTR, but the looks, size and lack of a manual transmission killed it for me. They are great cars, but I agree with the 100k$ japanese cars comments and being every 17yo boy wet dream.

On pure bragging rights the GTR wins easily. But since I actually have to live with and drive the car for real, I'd rather keep my 996tt.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I need a car that a can take to the track 2 or 3 times a month and not have to worry about or require new pads, rotors and tires after every track day. The GTR is very fast and could make your grandma look like a pro driver. But it's a 4000 lbs tank and takes away from any real driving enjoyment.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

I want to add, I have two friends who owns GTR. Both have limited track experience and are not very skilled drivers.

They both had high hp rwd cars that scared the bejesus out of them. They both are very happy with their choice. I think, for them, to have a car that can save their *** and allow them to be safer when going fast is a big plus.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f
I want to add, I have two friends who owns GTR. Both have limited track experience and are not very skilled drivers.

They both had high hp rwd cars that scared the bejesus out of them. They both are very happy with their choice. I think, for them, to have a car that can save their *** and allow them to be safer when going fast is a big plus.
Well if what makes a person happy is having the car do all the work then that's great for them. The GTR will make any Zero into a Hero. If they ever get into another car and don't have the computer to keep it on the track they will kill them selves.

I personally like learning and doing it all myself including with a manual transmission and I don't care if I am not the fastest car. Though it's a pleasure when I can pass cars on HP tracks like GT3's, TT's that have over 100 hp on me.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Well if what makes a person happy is having the car do all the work then that's great for them. The GTR will make any Zero into a Hero. If they ever get into another car and don't have the computer to keep it on the track they will kill them selves.

I personally like learning and doing it all myself including with a manual transmission and I don't care if I am not the fastest car. Though it's a pleasure when I can pass cars on HP tracks like GT3's, TT's that have over 100 hp on me.
I totally agree! And I'm completely puzzled by some comments I read here and 6speed when people comment how their 996tt scare the crap out of them but still chase more power.

No one should turn up the power on a car they're already afraid of. Just like no one should drive over their limit, in a GTR or any other car. I'm afraid the feeling of control given by the GTR's computers might just make some people push way over their limits because of that. The day the GTR's ECU has a hiccup could be very dangerous for its driver...

I'm a BMWCCA instructor and the recent hp wars has brought a new generation of high power cars driven by drivers with asolutely no experience or skills. They do the right thing by coming to our events and learning how to drive. But I believe people should get the skills first and then buy the car. It's very rarely the case.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

MLambert - I too came from an NSX. I adored my modded CTSCd 02. It was fast(ish), fun as hell, beautiful...but my 996TT is a better car in every way and its cheaper to run too. Rear tire wear on the NSX was brutal by itself - 2500km per set. Brutal.

The 996TT doesnt look as beautiful to me, but the whole package is superior IMO.

Quick Reply: finally went to look at GTR at dealership