Sponsored by:

wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont stay running

Guys any help would be greatly appreciated. I live about an hour tow truck drive to my mechanic so any help to avoid that flat bed charge would be appreciated.
The problem: car wont stay cranked. It starts idles for about 2 seconds then dies. If I apply light throttle I can keep light pressure on the accelerator I can keep the car revved in the mid rev range. If I try to apply throttle abruptly while I have it in that range it dies. If I try to let the idle settle it dies.
The car: 2001 Turbo. 6 speed, mods lwfw and clutch, ImagineAuto stage 4 car, Evo 5 intake (no MAF issues), EVO DV, upgraded turbos, silicon hoses, yada yada yada, 62K miles, did all new COPS and plugs at 45K.
TIA

Lane
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

My guess: Fuel pump problem. There is a weakness with our fuel pump which is a rubber hose with a sharp loop that failed after a certain times. It leak and prevent proper fuel pressure to the engine....See links....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...fuel-pump.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...fuel-pump.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ally-dove.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-pictures.html
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

If you can get access to a fuel pressure gauge, you can connect it to the fuel filter (engine compartment left side) and select ignition without starting the car and the gauge should indicate 3.8 bars or 55 pounds.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Fuel pump > one of the octopus fuel lines have cracked.

Intake leak, boost hose has undone, this includes a "F" tube split

MAF failure.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i'm going with jpflip. fuel pump. dollars to doughnuts.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

My first gut reaction was something fuel related. I can hear the pump when I turn the ignition to on. Possibly a hose off, unlikely a split given all the hoses (f included) were changed out to silicon. No warning light on dash which generally equate into a MAF. I had a MAF go right after I bought the car back in 03 and the dash lite up like a christmas tree.
I recently had the seal around the fuel pump replaced as I was getting a check engine light. Guess its time to haul her into the shop. I forgot I had breakdown towing through my insurance so I guess a call will be in order to my shop to get her in.
Thanks for all the replies, and I will update once I get the repair started.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

last note on bad fuel pump. it usually allows you to start the car. maybe even idle. but any pressure will usually stall the car. but again, based on what you're said, and what those here also sense fuel and pump related is the place to begin. fuel pump failures happen commonly, and much like you've described.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Check for a leaks in the turbo charge piping.

Try disconnecting the maf and see if that helps, if it stays running its a maf, car will run fine without a maf...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM
rocketrider2
Racer

last note on bad fuel pump. it usually allows you to start the car. maybe even idle. but any pressure will usually stall the car

The above is exactly what is happening with my car. I looked and found the pump at Pelican for like $645. I use a shop called Abacus here in Norfolk Va and they are a race shop and fabricator. I have to believe they could fab up whats seems to be the weak link on the pump, the rubber hose at the top of the pump.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Just check fuel pressure and see what it does, that will answer if its the pump...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketrider2
last note on bad fuel pump. it usually allows you to start the car. maybe even idle. but any pressure will usually stall the car

The above is exactly what is happening with my car. I looked and found the pump at Pelican for like $645. I use a shop called Abacus here in Norfolk Va and they are a race shop and fabricator. I have to believe they could fab up whats seems to be the weak link on the pump, the rubber hose at the top of the pump.
No fab work necessary, buy the gates submersible fuel hose, cut it to length, then replace your existing split one.

Just make sure the new hose is not in the way of the fuel float... ask me how I figured that one out...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
rocketrider2
Racer

I will remember to check, or have them check for the float clearance. What tools were necessary for getting into the fuel pump and replacing the hose? I wonder if this is something I can do here at home.
Anyone near Norfolk/Virginia Beach that would want to give it a go with me
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I vote MAF sensor very typical of a car to run when above idle once down to idle stall. My only question is if the fuel pump is supplying fuel at upper rpms why would it be bad at idle? Usually fuel
pumps will not let the car run or not allow higher rpm. If you hear it before starting then stop, then pressure is built up.
Just a question on why a bad fuel pump will allow the car to run but stall at idle.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketrider2
I will remember to check, or have them check for the float clearance. What tools were necessary for getting into the fuel pump and replacing the hose? I wonder if this is something I can do here at home.
Anyone near Norfolk/Virginia Beach that would want to give it a go with me
There is a special VW tool to remove the pump, but a hammer and a flat head screw driver seems to work well.

Quick Reply: wont stay running