rear spoiler rams leaking...both of them

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by 928drvr86.5
Cost effective for who ? That's the real question.

It Seems to me this is pretty cost effective for Porsche @ $1300 replacement cost provided the failures occured outsiide the warranty period.
Right...a grand cabal.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
I am no mechanic BUT you would think that Porsche would have provided a more reliable....
More reliable? What's the failure rate out of the total 996 Turbo production run?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by 928drvr86.5
Cost effective for who ? That's the real question.

It Seems to me this is pretty cost effective for Porsche @ $1300 replacement cost provided the failures occured outsiide the warranty period.
Yeh............ spot on
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just as an update, I have done nothing to address the problem and everything is still working normally. 38.5k miles now
Old 11-03-2012, 01:29 AM
MasonWilson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
I will most likely do this. does this fix keep the light from showing up on the dash?
Hi Judd,
I did the fixed wing set up on mine, you can check it out at the next cars and coffee. No lights if you trick the micro switches.
Mason
Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonWilson
Hi Judd,
I did the fixed wing set up on mine, you can check it out at the next cars and coffee. No lights if you trick the micro switches.
Mason
What did you do with the switches? With my wing removed I was fine for months then started getting the failure light at 75mph.

The first failure on my car was with the PO at about 12k miles, the whole system, rams and pump were replaced, I have the receipt. Then <19K miles the system failed again. I took the pump apart and found a wad of broken plastic that ties the 2 cylinders together. I removed everything.

My brother's '04 Turbo failed within 2 months of his purchasing the car. He had around 36K miles on it. It was CPO so he got the fix for free.

Looking at the motor and pump inside, it is overly complex, with lots of fragile components ready and waiting to fail. I'd be amazed to see a spoiler work for 100k - 150K miles without issues. I'm sure they are out there but most likely somewhat rare.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (06-09-2024)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM
crazyfrog
Instructor

by the way guys can I put some lubricant on the 2 arms lifting the wing up and down. If yes which one ?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crazyfrog
by the way guys can I put some lubricant on the 2 arms lifting the wing up and down. If yes which one ?
Sure it's possible to put lubrication on the spoiler arms, though I personally wouldn't. I have never applied any lubricant to the hydraulic arms on my Turbo, and have never had any spoiler operation issues.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
More reliable? What's the failure rate out of the total 996 Turbo production run?
no one knows for sure, but it's surely enough for the problem to be well known in 996tt circles and 996tt internet forums and even referred to as "common". i'm just thinking you don't get out much. as for me, i've only had two porsche 996 turbo's and yet, oddly, spoiler issues have cropped up ( or down ) on both. just lucky i guess but we've had this conversation before. so, no matter.

though i am happy to report that a simple re-bleed of my hydraulics has proven to be trouble free to date, and they again work as they should. now 25k miles and counting. which for me is much better than the many stopgap or workaround solutions of failed or failing ( ahem ) 996t spoilers. but for those with leaking rams, or uneven deployment, there IS help and we salute you
Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
no one knows for sure, but it's surely enough for the problem to be well known in 996tt circles and 996tt internet forums and even referred to as "common".
So "No one knows for sure". That's what I thought.

And has it been established that what problems have occurred with the system were the result of one or more design failures? Or have any of the issues been the result of external factors?

Or maybe, as several have alluded to here in this thread, it's a grand scheme by those brilliant Porsche engineers to build a system that is very likely ([sic] "common") to fail JUST outside the factory warranty.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't Extend the rams when washing and was the outside chrome part of the rams, and then dry.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

So "No one knows for sure". That's what I thought.

And has it been established that what problems have occurred with the system were the result of one or more design failures? Or have any of the issues been the result of external factors?

Or maybe, as several have alluded to here in this thread, it's a grand scheme by those brilliant Porsche engineers to build a system that is very likely ([sic] "common") to fail JUST outside the factory warranty.
it certainly wouldn't qualify as a "conspiracy" in my book. i just think they're "finicky", to use a technical term, and like any moving parts combining rubber/fluid and pumps, will be prone to issues over time. it's interesting in that porsche doesn't recommend any "maintenance" for them, per se. yet, they are filled with pentosin, which is not a "lifetime" fill i wouldn't think? so any porsche recommended fix, involves replacing the entire assembly, which is not always necessary. that kit isn't cheap, i think it was around 1700 when my first set was replaced under warranty.

any problems i've had seem to be brought about by cold weather, or low fluid, meaning a leak usually from the banjo bolt. even a banjo bolt on these left loose can leak the fluid, obviously. perhaps the seals don't like cold either. i seem to remember morton-thiokol(sp?) having trouble with an "o-ring" at low temps too. but to much greater effect, than a leaking ram

so, yeah, i'd say external factors can definitely impact the reliability and operation of our spoilers. coupled with an imperfect design, and some folks find their spoilers stop working properly. yes, it is true.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (06-09-2024)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
so, yeah, i'd say external factors can definitely impact the reliability and operation of our spoilers. coupled with an imperfect design, and some folks find their spoilers stop working properly. yes, it is true.
I don't know of any mechanical designs that can be labeled "perfect", as the physics of friction are a fact of life here on Earth. So of course the spoiler system falls under that ubiquitous "imperfect design" banner.

Of course there have been problems with the spoiler system on some Turbos. The issue is about defining those problems as "common".

I have no idea why some spoiler systems have problems and others (like mine) do not. Maybe some owners apply too much downward pressure on an extended wing when cleaning the car, or maybe their nice looking wife/girlfriend sat on it when posing for a picture with the car ( ). Maybe some owners use solvent/lube/soap on the extended arms and that is causing some of the problems. Maybe some owners keep the wing extended for long periods of time (while driving or while sitting in the garage...you know, the "it looks cool" approach to cars).
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

I have no idea why some spoiler systems have problems and others (like mine) do not.
me either! i advise anyone that has recently become acquainted with the 996tt to be very judicious in their use of the spoiler beyond its activation at speed per its design and intended use. personally, i never even touch that manual switch, for fear it will precipitate some kind of problem. i also chuckle in dismay when seeing or hearing of anyone leaving theirs extended manually for any period of time. i know what the outcome of that will be over time. i think we can agree, they are not designed to stay "up".

i will confess, though that years ago i would sometimes drive with the older ( non hydraulically assisted? ) 993 iteration of the rear spoiler in the up position and even park it "up" for years with impunity plus it was a relatively new gimmick in the mid 90's lol.. but then i was young and foolhardy and its mechanics weren't nearly as "delicate"

i am fully confident with this re-bleed of my hydraulics though.. just not quite confident enough to part with my "fixed wing kit" from ebay yet.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM
MasonWilson
6th Gear

The switches on the passenger side of the car, mounted to the ram were removed from the ram and I covered them in a balloon and zipp tied up to the engine cover.

Quick Reply: rear spoiler rams leaking...both of them