Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the X50 really as fast as 997TT??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am afraid not. 996tt, 1530kg and 997.1tt 1580kg. DIN. Direct from car manuals.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

[quote=Y65MPH;8999256]
Originally Posted by SimonK
Sorry Kevin but the boost question was a trick question, I am not as dim-witted you take me for... QUOTE]

OK!!!

Wow..You Tube, that is a great source.

A wise man once said, "Never argue with ignorance. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
When someone doesn't believe his eyes, it seems any further discussion is truly pointless.

And the quote is actualy "never argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience". You can't even get the quote right, never mind car facts!

When you have something valuable and constructive to add to this debate (which Kevin actualy is) rather than talking the 996tt down in the 996tt section be my guest but until then do please restrain yourself from unproductive statements and check out
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Now what I do agree with is the fact that the 996TT is the most cost effective turbo Porsche. It offers better performance value vs the 997TT platform. However, I think that the crown jewel for the GT1 engine is in the 997GT2 and 997GT2RS engine.

Interesting enough neither has the 996TT or 997TT received all the "go fast" performance parts that Porsche could have given us.. The perfect engine would be similar to the 993GT1... We would actually have to borrow 959 and GT3 parts to add to "our" engines such as the intermediate shaft, GT3 crankshaft and rods.. I would also borrow the early GT1 valvetrain >>more similar to the GT3..
Huh, I will take that single agreement thank you. I also agree on many points you make. I still maintain however that the real-world difference between the two cars really isn't as much as the techno talk and marketing points suggest. Anyway, good discussion, we are here to learn and share...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My X50 is really fast since Kevin's tuning breathed on it
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

[quote=SimonK;8999852]
Originally Posted by Y65MPH

When someone doesn't believe his eyes, it seems any further discussion is truly pointless.

And the quote is actualy "never argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience". You can't even get the quote right, never mind car facts!

When you have something valuable and constructive to add to this debate (which Kevin actualy is) rather than talking the 996tt down in the 996tt section be my guest but until then do please restrain yourself from unproductive statements and check out
I am sorry, next time I will drink the 996tt cool aid before contributing on this forum. The thread starter asked a very valid question which I answered with TRUE working knowledge. You may feel otherwise, but filling the thread with boy racer references and silly videos does not add one bit of credibility to your argument. As I have said several times the driving dynamics of the cars are very different and Darth will have to make his own decision. Kevin was even kind enough to say my comments were spot on. Currently in my collection is a 911 turbo of every model produced including a k16 996tt, x50 aero 996tt, and a 996 GT2. That being said, Porsche has never "devolved" in performance when it comes to their turbo cars. The next generation has always been better then the prior in the performance department. If this wasn't the case Porsche would loose is brand image pretty quickly. Plus out of all the Turbo cars produced the 996tt has been the by far the worst in the resale department. This makes them the best value in the "good, cheap, and fast" area but hurtful on the wallet. My 996 GT2 is a 2002 with 9000 miles and was bought for 200k new its worth 70 if I am lucky.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

[quote=Y65MPH;9000044]

I am sorry, next time I will drink the 996tt cool aid before contributing on this forum. The thread starter asked a very valid question which I answered with TRUE working knowledge. You may feel otherwise, but filling the thread with boy racer references and silly videos does not add one bit of credibility to your argument. As I have said several times the driving dynamics of the cars are very different and Darth will have to make his own decision. Kevin was even kind enough to say my comments were spot on. Currently in my collection is a 911 turbo of every model produced including a k16 996tt, x50 aero 996tt, and a 996 GT2. That being said, Porsche has never "devolved" in performance when it comes to their turbo cars. The next generation has always been better then the prior in the performance department. If this wasn't the case Porsche would loose is brand image pretty quickly. Plus out of all the Turbo cars produced the 996tt has been the by far the worst in the resale department. This makes them the best value in the "good, cheap, and fast" area but hurtful on the wallet. My 996 GT2 is a 2002 with 9000 miles and was bought for 200k new its worth 70 if I am lucky.
You truly puzzle me. I really don't get your comments. What exactly is so silly about that YouTube video? What exactly is your working knowledge? Why am I a boy racer? What do you base this statement on? Listen, why don't we meet on the Nordschleife bring your 997tt tuned or not, I will bring my 996tt let's put a wager on it and you can prove that your 997tt is vastly superior because it has totally different engine. And don't worry about me recognising you, I am sure I will clock you by the yellow anorak you will be wearing. Ps. BTW my "boy racer" ring time is a modest 8.13.03 so my old dog should be an easy meal for your 997tt.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts

I am afraid not. 996tt, 1530kg and 997.1tt 1580kg. DIN. Direct from car manuals.
996 x50
Weight
1579 kg / 3480 lbs
Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just bought a new popcorn popper and my beer is cold.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

[quote=Y65MPH;9000044]

sorry but slapping on better tires and recording lap times does not make a better car just better tires.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JG 996T
996 x50
Weight
1579 kg / 3480 lbs
There are two approaches to data analysis; I think, and I know – the solid facts... .
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

X50's have some history of Transmission weakness.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Angelus
Instructor

Originally Posted by MK19
Hi MK19, what history of weakness do they have? I've just bought one and thought I'd done my research, but never found any issues over the transmission here in the UK.

Thank you,

Lee.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Gentlemen please let's keep the discussion civil and courteous.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I see that Kevin already gave some info on the 997 engine changes vs the 996TT one.

Here are the full 997TT engine specs with more details:

Engine, M97/70

General

The engine of the new 911 Turbo, with its 3.6-litre displacement, is a further development based on the 911 Turbo (996). A variable-geometry turbocharger is used for the first time with this engine. This technology permits extremely fast boost pressure build-up with good response characteristics, high torque values even at low engine speeds and over a wide rev range, as well as high maximum power combined with low fuel consumption.

Summary of modifications
• Variable-geometry turbocharger
• Higher power and torque values
• Component reinforcement
• Overboost function in conjunction with the "Sport Chrono Package Turbo" option
• Advanced VarioCam Plus
• Enhanced dry sump lubrication with 9 oil pumps
• Increased cooling performance, including 2-stage oil cooling
• Enhanced charge air cooling

The most important data at a glance:
Displacement 3,600 cm3
Bore 100 mm
Stroke 76.4 mm
Power output 353 kW (480 bhp)
At engine speed 6,000 rpm 1/min
Max. torque 620 Nm
At engine speed 1,950 - 5,000 rpm 1/min
Max. torque (Overboost) 680 Nm
At engine speed 2,100 - 4,000 rpm 1/min
Compression ratio 9.0 : 1
Governed speed 6,750 rpm 1/min (6th gear 6,800 rpm 1/min)
Idle speed 740 +/- 40 rpm 1/min

Crankshaft
A reduction in weight was achieved through a deeper central bore in the crankshaft on the pulley side.

Connecting-rod bearings
"Sputtered bearings" are mounted on the rod side as connecting-rod bearings.
Sputtered bearings are high-performance bearings.
Higher engine output powers require materials with a significantly higher fatigue strength, lower wearing rate, and good corrosion resistance at high temperatures, particularly for the connecting-rod bearings. These complex requirements are met by means of cathode sputtering. Micro-particles are ejected from a donor material in a high vacuum. These particles are applied uniformly to the part which is to be coated using electromagnetic fields. These magnetron layers are characterised by extremely fine distribution of the individual structural constituents. The basis is the already known three-component bearing. The basic design has been preserved. The plated lining at risk of fatigue has been replaced by a sputtered lining.

Information
Two lugs are provided for the twist lock in order to ensure that the sputtered bearings are mounted on the rod side. In addition, the identification "Sputter" is provided on the rear of the bearing.

Connecting rods
The connecting rods have been left practically unchanged, apart from the fact that two grooves have been incorporated on the rod side for the sputtered bearing.

Pistons
The pistons are realised in a symmetrical design; arrows are provided on the piston crown to indicate the installation position. When installing the pistons, it must be ensured that these arrows point in driving direction.

Piston rings
Three-part rail rings are used as oil scraper rings on the new 911 Turbo in order to reduce the "blow by" gases and therefore also further reduce oil consumption. These very thin rings are able to adapt themselves optimally to the cylinder shape, thereby optimising sealing quality.

Cylinder base seal
A three-part cylinder base seal is used here in order to improve the sealing quality between the crankcase and the cylinder housing. The seal of the new 911 Turbo is 0.3 mm thicker than the seal used in the past.

Cylinder housing
The cylinder housing and cylinder sleeves have been shortened by 0.3 mm in order to maintain the same overall cylinder height and compression ratio.

Valve drive

The new 911 Turbo uses a rotary-vane actuator, familiar from the 911 Carrera, for continuous adjustment of the intake camshaft. The adjustment range of the actuator is 40° crank angle.
The small valve lift was increased from 3.0 mm to 3.6 mm in order to make more efficient use of the advantages of VarioCam Plus with continuous camshaft adjustment and a larger adjustment range compared with the 911 Turbo (996) with respect to consumption, output and exhaust emissions. The large valve lift was left at 10.0 mm.

Valve springs
The exhaust backpressure is also increased as a result of the increase in the boost pressure in order to achieve higher torque and power output in the middle rev range. The valve spring assembly has been modified in order to ensure that the exhaust valves close reliably.
This was achieved by a progressive design without increasing the friction losses or producing excessive pressure at the contact point between the cam and tappet.

Flat-base tappets
The shape of the hydraulic tappets on the exhaust side has been optimised by providing them with a reinforced base while leaving the overall weight unchanged in order to guarantee the service life of the tappets.

Camshafts
The timing and therefore also the camshafts have been adjusted for the new engine.

Timing in retarded setting at 1 mm valve lift and zero play:
Intake opens, large stroke 20° before TDC
Intake closes, large stroke 50° after BDC
Intake opens, small stroke 30° after TDC
Intake closes, small stroke 30° before BDC
Exhaust opens 40° before BDC
Exhaust closes 9° before TDC

Chain drive
The timing chains have been lengthened by two chain links compared with the predecessor engine in order to compensate for the thermal expansion of the engine. As a result, it was also necessary to adapt the guide rails and chain tensioners.

Vacuum pump
Like the current 911 generation, the new 911 Turbo also has a mechanically driven vacuum pump that uses rotary vane technology. This replaces the conventional sucking jet pump to provide the vacuum for the brake booster and for activating various switching valves. It is located on the cylinder head of cylinder bank 1 - 3 and is driven by the corresponding exhaust camshaft.

Oil supply
The oil supply of the new 911 Turbo is provided by means of the familiar and proven dry sump lubrication. An additional oil extraction pump is installed in the front area of the crankcase since extreme deceleration values can be achieved with this vehicle, with the result that oil collects in this area.

Cooling

In order to take into account the higher cooling requirement of the engine oil on the new 911 Turbo, the waste heat is now dissipated into the coolant by means of two oil-water heat exchangers instead of one (996 Turbo). As a result, it was possible to increase the cooling performance by more than 15 %. The second heat exchanger is located in the return line to the oil tank. This arrangement means that the oil supply line is not loaded with the increased resistance from the heat exchanger, and ensures that the engine is adequately supplied with oil. In addition, heat transfer to the coolant and therefore also the cooling performance is increased since the temperature in the return line is higher than in the oil pressure line. Adapted routing of the coolant lines ensures optimum distribution to the heat exchangers and other fluid-cooled components.
The heat from the coolant is dissipated to the environment by means of side radiator modules located on the left and right in front of the front wheels in each case, as well as by means of a centre radiator in the front end.
During aerodynamic development of the front end, particular attention was paid to increasing the cooling air throughput in order to permit dissipation of the additional heat produced by the increased engine power while keeping the radiator dimensions unchanged.
On the new 911 Turbo, the bearing housings of the turbochargers are additionally cooled with coolant for the first time. This takes place by means of a separate electrically operated pump which is mounted on the engine behind the secondary air pump, (see illustration 1_07_07, legend -P- ). This increases coolant throughput at low engine speeds in accordance with the cooling requirement, and also permits efficient cooling of the highly loaded turbochargers when the engine is stopped after the vehicle has been driven with high power demands.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MK19
I've never seen anything specific to the X50, we've read about turbos K16 and K24 eating the syncros and cogs in 2nd. It's believed this is as a result of rushed changes from 1st to 2nd resulting in incomplete engagement causing damage.

Quick Reply: Is the X50 really as fast as 997TT??