Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best Intercoolers In The Universe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Best Intercoolers In The Universe...

These are the same intercoolers endorsed and used by The Rebel Alliance. They were fitted to the Millennium Falcon and used in countless jumps into hyperspace.

"Chewey and I were just plain sick of the Falcon's inability to reach hyperspace when we needed her to. The countless failures and excessive heat were just too much.

Since we switched to A.W.E. Tuning Intercoolers, our problems are solved!

Thanks A.W.E.!"

-Han Solo
Intergalactic Space Smuggler

Click here to visit our web site for more detail!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Quicksilver77
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is just plain funny!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Interesting self-plug
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by Quicksilver77
That is just plain funny!
Glad you thought so.

All kidding aside, we are very proud of these. They have been on the market for a few years and are a proven winner for us.

Designed and manufactured in house by our full time Mechanical Engineers using CAD and CFD, our intercoolers will yield a tangible result that will be seen both on the street and the track.

Unique Highlights of our kit design:

•Efficient bar/plate core style
•Cast and machined end tanks for optimized air flow
•Thick silicone boost hoses with proper profile where they mate to turbo
•T-bolt clamps for extreme clamping force
•Direct plug and play install that is easily reversible
•+16 crank hp dyno verified

Let me know if you have questions.

Mike@awe-tuning.com
Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Interesting self-plug
lol. Why not add some humor? Hope it made you smile.

AWE Tuning is now in our 20th year of business and I have been here for eleven years. Been making posts the entire time. Have to crack a joke every now and again to keep my sanity!

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM
avader906
Instructor

best intercoolers are mentioned in a number of threads in 997 GT2/GT3 board here - as tested in real world and in racing applications - including porsche LM teams.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by avader906
best intercoolers are mentioned in a number of threads in 997 GT2/GT3 board here - as tested in real world and in racing applications - including porsche LM teams.

Oh, dont't be such a bad sport with boring facts...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
avader906
Instructor

hahahaha was probably not the day to get that factual eeeer emotional. but it does kinda highlight how naive people are, and P universe became too easy of a target.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

hahahaha was probably not the day to get that factual eeeer emotional. but it does kinda highlight how naive people are, and P universe became too easy of a target.
Do yourself a favor and do a search on AWE Tuning and Intercoolers. You will find some very interesting info and some great back and forth between us and some notorious rennlisters.

Notice my join date? While I have not been here the longest, I have been here for a bit. We are not new here...
Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 AM
avader906
Instructor

Some very interesting info would include AWE supplying the test data for direct comparaison with guys who were testing intake temps / comparaison with rs2 oem coolers ? or contributing to numerous Toby's threads on the subject ? Just to be clear - your graph and ridiculous claim of increase in HP on a chassis (!) dyno relating to AWE coolers is to date unsupported (at best, at worst it's insulting for more technically inclined). Not to be an *** and spoil the anniversary....
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Some very interesting info would include AWE supplying the test data for direct comparaison with guys who were testing intake temps / comparaison with rs2 oem coolers ? or contributing to numerous Toby's threads on the subject ? Just to be clear - your graph and ridiculous claim of increase in HP on a chassis (!) dyno relating to AWE coolers is to date unsupported (at best, at worst it's insulting for more technically inclined). Not to be an *** and spoil the anniversary....
Good, you've been paying attention. Frankly, I have not been following much of what has been going on lately, nor do I really care. The fact that we even publish this data for the public to view is more than most do. Would you agree? Also, I am marketing these towards the 997.1TT and the 996TT crowd. Not sure who you are referring to or even what you are comparing us to.

So what exactly have we not posted or discussed that would make you happy?

Also, can you please explain in detail why our chassis dyno is incapable of showing the gains found with a set of OEM intercoolers and a set of aftermarket intercoolers. Pretty simple to me, really. If the cars makes X hp stock Y hp with our intercoolers, and Y being greated, than it is a win, correct?

Engine dyno would do the same for us, no?

Please don't confuse us. The stock wheel hp numbers and the wheel numbers after a modification are not our concern. The delta is what we focus on. Did we see a gain or not after we made certain the testing protocols were the same from start to finish.

Hope that helps clarify.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM
avader906
Instructor

There is a product for every customer. IMHO 997.1 and 996 crowd would best benefit from the revised 997.2 intercooler - comparing performance/value - thats what I originally hinted at. To your credit, you dont recommend replacing 997.2 one with AWE's per your post on the other board. I hope that you can direct dyno resources on developping products in other areas.

I dont think that you really want to know the tech side of fluid dynamics and heat management for turbocharged engines - nor that you care - as illustrated by your post - more importantly your intercooler evaluation method in it. For those who are interested, look up heat transfer coefficient, heat transfer area and log mean temp difference as a theoretical background on the subject.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

I dont think that you really want to know the tech side of fluid dynamics and heat management for turbocharged engines - nor that you care - as illustrated by your post - more importantly your intercooler evaluation method in it. For those who are interested, look up heat transfer coefficient, heat transfer area and log mean temp difference as a theoretical background on the subject.
No, you're wrong. I want to hear what you have to say. Enlighten me along with our ME's.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:41 PM
avader906
Instructor

Mike, given your product is designed using CFD - you should have all theoretical Q*A values. Given you have targeted the OEM product you should of been able to evaluate it as well. Then, as I am sure your product is engineered, you either contracted for or performed flow bench tests in-house. You should have the Q values from different runs with your CFD model indeed validated. Given you are not a one man scrap metal shop - you could spare some design and validation data with your (potential) customers. And given you've spent some serious money on the development - you would of went out and put the product out there into the racing world to test and see. Hell, you would of contracted independent flow bench tests and published the results.

Now Im gonna tell you why you wont supply any data nor why you didnt design anything from scratch.

Why you didnt go the design route ? What did you exactly do to come up with this product ? Did you ended up adding any value at all (yes you did with t-bolts vs oem) ? Why AWE ended up procuring some cores, did some in house end-tank welds and rush it to customers ?

Simply because its uneconomical for AWE to do anything close to design. You dont have the customer base to justify the development costs. These are not some wheels you can machine out or some bends you can weld. And it helps that most of customers you deal with assume it's the same process.

Just a decent fluid dynamics engineer (unless you asked some PhD students and supplied them with materials) would of cost you more than 80$ per each h in development. And you need a team. And the core design is an easy 600h-900h project - with the end result not guaranteed to be better than some engineering student's final thesis - unless you branch out - sell cores to others end re-invest into development.

Cooling is not AWE's core business. You can't compete with aerospace industry (or former SECAN or even CTR who's sole business is design of cooling solutions). Think of guys who have expertize in jet fighter cooling and are contractors for some of F1 teams. Nor you can compete with Porsche procurement process - because comparable product will always be cheaper OEM if only for the volume sold. (and this is where 997.2 / RS2 intercoolers come in). The only way you can compete is by affirming to have a par product at a lesser price or some other variation.

So you have a choice of selling something "better" than OEM for street customers and "slight" premium to OEM (with evaluation left as an exercise to customers), not doing the product at all, or re-selling something which 0.01% of your customers could afford in line with professional solutions.

Now if you need a guy to perform flow bench tests - feel free to PM me and send in your product for testing (obviously not free).
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

avader906,

I must admit, I am having a hard time understanding what your point actually is and how some of what you say is even relevant. I also found some glaring holes in your response. Please allow me some time to re-read and respond. We are having a gathering at our facility this evening so this conversation will spill over to tomorrow.

Quick Reply: The Best Intercoolers In The Universe...