Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Ultiumate Motorwerks Billet Turbochargers

It has been awhile since I have built a set of these Billet K16 hybrid turbochargers. I actually built a set for Sharky for the first 996TT Shootout years ago. His tippy cranked out a 11.13 1/4 with these turbochargers.

I have a local customer that was interested in my Stage 2A kit. After discussing his wishes and driving style "no lag" and maximum power under the curve was what he wanted. The compressor wheel that I am using is a lightweight forged billet wheel. This compressor wheel is stronger, larger, and lighter vs the stock wheel. The design of this high pressure wheel will allow very high shaft speeds. Since this is a limited production I will refer to them as K16 Billets.

These turbochargers have sucked the labor to create. My zero clearance process with my precision machine work allow the compressor wheel to run at extreme close tolerances. Infact, out of the box the compressor wheels are rubbing. I actually had to remove the passenger turbocharger to re-clearance.

To maximize airflow the compressor wheel inlets have cnc'd 75mm inlet rings. I was able to machine a perfect parabolic curve directly to the compressor wheel inducer.

On the turbine side of these turbochargers I have ported and reshaped the exhaust inlet port. This helps speed up the exhaust gases into the scroll of the turbine housing. The A/R is increased to remove some of the turbine back pressure. If we can speed up the airflow, more exhaust gas energy is available to spool the rotating assy sooner and quicker. Boost is built up sooner >> the result is more engine torque sooner and moves the torque curve to the left.

I try to develop new components for the KKK turbochargers. I have been working over the last few years engineering and testing new turbine side sealing rings to withstand the harsh exhaust condiitons. Porsche has used a oil cooled turbocharger since the 930. Oil cooled turbochargers will run hotter vs water cooled units. The 993TT has had a tough time with sealing the turbine side. When this seal fails we have oil been passed into the compressor and turbine housing. A smoke show on start up becomes the norm. 6 months ago I finished my new turbine seal. I designed a stepped GAP vs the standard straight cut gap. The stepped gap ring creates a physical barrier that will quickly carbon up and add a extra layer of protection against a breach. Exhaust gases are kept at bay. Oil migration past the sealing ring is stopped.

The stock KKK sealing ring is installed at the factory at around .005" As the turbocharger wears, the gap increases in the bearing bore. At around .008" we start to get blowbye with exhaust gases breaching this seal. The exhaust gases will push the oil that is inside the bearing housing past the compressor stage and into the intake tract. Oil in your intercoolers and intake piping is usually caused from this turbine seal failure. When the engine is shut down, and on cold startup, you will have oil passing thru the turbine side seal making small pools of oil in the turbine housing.

I went one step further and manufactured the new sealing rings out of Tungsten Alloy. I wanted the highest temperature resistant and hardest material that I could use within financial means available. From plasma heat tests that I was able to do, these new sealing rings maintained there shape alot longer vs the factory KKK high nickel rings.

For customers that might be wondering if your turbochargers have these new rings, I have installed them in every K16 and K24 over the last 5 months.

Last edited by Kevin; 07-29-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 AM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Durametric Logs ?

The hardware looks great... How about a 4th gear Durametric log on 91 octane, for the rest of us who are trying to find out the performance to $ ratio?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 AM
AeroTurbo
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These are beautiful Kevin!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

pwarnery, these turbochargers are "special" request to build. With this build monies were put on the back burner to accomplish a lag reduction program.

These turbochargers will produce 1.35 bars very quickly at 92 octane...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 AM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2A kit?

Kevin,

excellent news. When can I see a 4th gear Durametric log on 91 Octane?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Phillippe if you would like to call me and discuss my Stage 2A kit please do so. This is NOT my 2A kit. There are NO logs on 91 octane. These turbochargers are going on a larger build with injectors.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They look great Kevin!

How would these perform comparative to the 2a kit? What was the objective of the build if you dont mind? Track days? Skid pan? 1/4mile?

Cheers
Ben
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

What type of wastegates are those?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OCNY,

I manufacture the wastegate kit.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Kevin, It appears that some here don't understand that you actually have machining facilities inhouse and make most of your own stuff. You might want to educate the masses to UMW and what it is you actually do. It'll probably better explain why those of us who know are such loyal fans.

Mike

Quick Reply: Ultiumate Motorwerks Billet Turbochargers