Sponsored by:

Can we lay all the cards on the table with 996TT engine concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

You're reading way too much into my posts.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
You're reading way too much into my posts.
That may be. And if so I appologize.

What would you suggest we do to get the facts all covered in this thread so that their is a good engine thread that is packed with info that will also avoid making people paranoid? Do you think it would be better to just deny any issues occure and just chock them up to bad luck? I just don't know how to help people in this case? I thought a helpful informative thread would be a good contribution and that seems to be proven wrong so what is your solution? Just say **** it? I honestly have no clue how else I can contribute to this thread.

Or maybe the members here could start a thread of what they want to hear in a thread and we can post that and the mods can delete everything else.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
What would you suggest we do to get the facts all covered in this thread so that their is a good engine thread that is packed with info that will also avoid making people paranoid?
I'm not sure any of that is possible. It's nothing personal, I just don't think it can be done.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm not sure any of that is possible. It's nothing personal, I just don't think it can be done.
I am agreeing with this point. But I have to ask... Why do you not think it is not possible?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because it would take a consistently accurate data stream, and that stream doesn't exist.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to add this bit of info I read about IMS failure. I can't remember where I read it because it was some time ago but the gist of it was that Porsche concluded that the IMS failure was due to running the car while not keeping the engine oil to full capacity. I know that when my car drops 2 lines below full, engine clatter begins to increase, and filling to the top causes it to decrease. Since reading the article I always make sure I am up to the top line. Of course be careful not to over fill.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I'd like to add this bit of info I read about IMS failure. I can't remember where I read it because it was some time ago but the gist of it was that Porsche concluded that the IMS failure was due to running the car while not keeping the engine oil to full capacity. I know that when my car drops 2 lines below full, engine clatter begins to increase, and filling to the top causes it to decrease. Since reading the article I always make sure I am up to the top line. Of course be careful not to over fill.
That's a good observation! I thought a dry sump system would not need to be completely full to work properly. I always keep mine at least two from the top, but can someone explain dry sump a little to me on how it would be circulating 8qts of oil and not have enough to pump?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
...but the gist of it was that Porsche concluded that the IMS failure was due to running the car while not keeping the engine oil to full capacity.
I find it hard to believe that the oil quantity available to be pumped through the engine is in any way affected by where the oil quantity is, as long as it is above the minimum quantity line on the oil measuring system display. I similarly find it hard to believe that oil pressure would be affected in any way given the same situation.

As an additional data point, I wait until I am 1 quart low on the display before adding a full new quart, and I never hear any difference in the engine noise between the 1 quart low and full indications.

Last edited by Dock; 04-21-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't believe it either. These are true dry sump engines. As long as you have sufficient quantity in the tank, within the marks, your engine is getting enough volume since that is based on pump capacity and rpm. I doubt very much anything within the arrow range will effect the longevity of the engine.
Some get mixed up reading about IMS failures when they are actually related to the M96 engines, which according to Porsche is a semi dry sump, but in actuality they act like wet sumps. If the oil is low in these and you do some hard cornering than yes it could be determental to the engine since the pickups can run dry.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Because this forum can't discuss the 996TT engine and their issues here I am not going to participate any further here. I can't contribute to a forum that insists on living in the dark and only insists on listening to one engine builders input without discussing and clearing up the issues. The only way for people to not be paranoid about their cars is to know the facts.....

Mods can delete this thread. Nothing here is being accomplished...
Since you are still actively participating in this thread, can I safely assume you no longer wish for this thread to be deleted?

Quick Reply: Can we lay all the cards on the table with 996TT engine concerns