Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

We have a thread being posted to right now showing the lifter and variocam sealing ring failures.

My only advise is to change your engine oil. Don't let it get past 5K miles and keep a eye on your oil filter.

For those that are looking to buy a 2nd hand 996TT, try and view the car prior to the engine oil being changed. View the car with at least 2500 miles on the oil.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Posts 1 and 22 says what my goal was.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Posts 1 and 22 says what my goal was.
Good luck with this...
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ferrari and Lambo and all the others would "kill" to have a guy post about 300,000 MILES with routine oil changes....no issues...with track use.

These cars are absolute tanks. Period. In the world of super cars, they are in a league of their own. Anyone who wants a reliable car that has high HP should get a 996TT and be done with it. 100$ for a gbox mod, and away. Ferrari maintenance costs seem super scary to me. My audi's...they had a LOT of issues...all 6 of them... Mercedes and BMW have had some doosies of late..the last M3's engine....etc. GTR's....let's give them a few years after the warranties run out and see what happens to them. They might be as reliable once Nissan gets things together...but again, if you track them, the costs are astronomical.

So the PO wants data...it is few and far between. Use of some common sense, as I put forward, will likely reward the end user with hundreds of thousands of miles of fun.

To those buying these cars...they are the bargain of the century. The "new" headlights causes them to upset the old guard of the 911 world. Modern designer types actually usually think the new headlights look better, newer....once the world understands how special these cars are..they will go up in price. Right now, they are probably 40% discounted from what they are worth. No regrets on my part for buying one.

There, I said it.

T2's religion about 0w-40 oil changes is probably all that is needed. Yes, it is a machine and parts break, but at an alarmingly low rate relative to most cars...let alone "supercars." Just change the oil out before the additives wear out and you'll be superb.

My 8c.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
....To those buying these cars...they are the bargain of the century. The "new" headlights causes them to upset the old guard of the 911 world. Modern designer types actually usually think the new headlights look better, newer....once the world understands how special these cars are..they will go up in price. Right now, they are probably 40% discounted from what they are worth. No regrets on my part for buying one. ...
Not sure about the 40% part, but I have to agree that the 996tt is the supercar bargain of the century right now. I was going to buy one regardless, but once I started researching the reliability I was impressed. I've been even more impressed with how easy these cars are to work on.

I'm not sure they will ever be a true classic, but they are a fantastic car for the money.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Because this forum can't discuss the 996TT engine and their issues here I am not going to participate any further here. I can't contribute to a forum that insists on living in the dark and only insists on listening to one engine builders input without discussing and clearing up the issues. The only way for people to not be paranoid about their cars is to know the facts.....

Mods can delete this thread. Nothing here is being accomplished...

Haulinkraut, you have started one of the BEST threads I can think of and I encourage you to stay with it. I have this "noise" you are refering to and I need to hear from folks like you so I can learn more and hopefully understand whats going on? I come over from the 997 TT forum along with others searching for some answers as to why when I purchased my car in 2007 the noise did not exist? Why did the noise only become apparent at around 12k miles and became more pronounced as the miles went up? I almost have 30k miles now on my 2007 997 TT and although many have called this noise "normal" I really find it hard to believe that one would have no concerns over it? Thanks to Kevins help I was able to reduce the noise a bit by adding a thicker viscosity oil. This is a description of the noise that I refer to (I have tried to upload sound bytes of it with no success).

1. The noise occurs at idle after the car has warmed up.
2. The noise gets better after 2000 RPM (it literally disappears to a degree)
3. The noise is specific to the GT1 engine (found on Turbos, GT3's, etc)
4. The noise comes directly from the crankshaft itself
5. Pressing the clutch in or out does not change the noise or make it better
6. The metallic sound can be described as marbles churning inside the crankshaft or a chain banging against a metal surface.

This noise I am describing in its mild form (like when it first started) is not really something one would be too concerned about or something that one would obviously notice. However the noise becomes progressivly worse with time and it gets to a point where you feel that it warrants further investigation. Hopefully this thread can provide some answers. Specifically what is going on here?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi my name is M.E.
My 996TT makes "the noise" too
Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Jeff makes a very valid point. For the number of track days that Porsches do, and the beating they take from it, no other car is engineered to their standard. And T2 tracks his car along with having 300,000 miles on it. Like I said earlier, every machine made is going to have some problems along the way, but Porsches hold up to the most demanding type of service.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
hi my name is M.E.
My 996TT makes "the noise" too
You've come to the right place..."NoiseAlcoholics Anonymous" will help you through the recovery process.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 PM
raineycd
Racer

Probably would be a shorter list of cars that don't make the chain noise...

My two jap dailys make noise to!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
gradyex
Racer

Guys if you think this thread is a waste of time why not move on to another one that interests you? Thanks to Kevin and his advice I have reduced this rattle considerably. Had it not been for these discussions I would have continued to use a thinner oil (0W-40) and not help the issue at all. If you do nothing and simply ignore it thats fine too. To each his own.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 PM
raineycd
Racer

Originally Posted by gradyex
Guys if you think this thread is a waste of time why not move on to another one that interests you? Thanks to Kevin and his advice I have reduced this rattle considerably. Had it not been for these discussions I would have continued to use a thinner oil (0W-40) and not help the issue at all. If you do nothing and simply ignore it thats fine too. To each his own.
I am not ignoring the issues, but I am not going to blow them out of proportion as well... I have just seen these types of discussions before and they always go more toward freaking people out and lowering the value of our cars then doing a service...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by raineycd
I am not ignoring the issues, but I am not going to blow them out of proportion as well... I have just seen these types of discussions before and they always go more toward freaking people out and lowering the value of our cars then doing a service...
Especially when there is no "issue" other than something in the mind of a paranoid person. By the way, my car makes a funny noise when I turn the key one way and it gets quiet when I turn the key the other way. What could be wrong?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
raineycd
Racer

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Especially when there is no "issue" other than something in the mind of a paranoid person. By the way, my car makes a funny noise when I turn the key one way and it gets quiet when I turn the key the other way. What could be wrong?
lol. In all seriousness, there are some good tips and advise to care for your 996 turbo. I think Kevin and some of the other guys that have the gristly privileged of dissecting failures are the ones who know best. I take their advice seriously and apply it. I am going to enjoy the car and if it fails, it fails, but not due to my lack of attention/diligence!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11298777@N08/5633518556/http://www.flickr.com/photos/11298777@N08/5633518556/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/11298777@N08/, on Flickr
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 AM
gradyex
Racer

[QUOTE=raineycd;8481887]lol. In all seriousness, there are some good tips and advise to care for your 996 turbo. I think Kevin and some of the other guys that have the gristly privileged of dissecting failures are the ones who know best. I take their advice seriously and apply it. I am going to enjoy the car and if it fails, it fails, but not due to my lack of attention/diligence!

Well said. I totally agree with you!

Quick Reply: Can we lay all the cards on the table with 996TT engine concerns