Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we lay all the cards on the table with 996TT engine concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take this issue very seriosly too, I traded my 02 996 for a 996TT because I was told that these "GT1" engines were bullet-proof, my old 996 had an engine failure and that was not fun at all, thank God it was still under warranty! I change my oil very frequently and now use Motul 3000v 5w-40, still my car makes "the noise"
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen guys, this thread has been completely taken out of context and wrecked. Not every rattle this car makes is a problem. My car rattles and I am not worried. But I also watch for metal in the filter and change oil every 3000 miles with 5w40 Turbo Diesel.

Most if not all of the failures this engine encounters are due to outside influences like oil types, change intervals, overrevs and other outside influences. The fact remains that if you go past 5k with your oil changes you are increasing the risk of premature wear and other failures. If you use 0w40 you will see more wear. Read some of Kevins threads and posts on the shear factors of 0w oil. I was wanting to see Kevin and other builders air out all of the causes for the problems. When people read how many can be avoided by simple changes the paranoia of this forum will be much reduced. Let's face it if you are thinking that your engine is just going to fail because it is gonna fail then it is a worrying thought. If you know the outside causes their is none of the pointless paranoia. If only facts that answered the questions I posted in the start of this thread it wouldn't have been such a big drama. But this thread had to get turned into an "everyone elses issues" thread that basically let the air out of it before it even started. I started this to help not be a drama fest. It wasn't a complete failure because now I know what to discuss here and what not to.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Listen guys, this thread has been completely taken out of context and wrecked. Not every rattle this car makes is a problem. My car rattles and I am not worried. But I also watch for metal in the filter and change oil every 3000 miles with 5w40 Turbo Diesel.

Most if not all of the failures this engine encounters are due to outside influences like oil types, change intervals, overrevs and other outside influences. The fact remains that if you go past 5k with your oil changes you are increasing the risk of premature wear and other failures. If you use 0w40 you will see more wear. Read some of Kevins threads and posts on the shear factors of 0w oil. I was wanting to see Kevin and other builders air out all of the causes for the problems. When people read how many can be avoided by simple changes the paranoia of this forum will be much reduced. Let's face it if you are thinking that your engine is just going to fail because it is gonna fail then it is a worrying thought. If you know the outside causes their is none of the pointless paranoia. If only facts that answered the questions I posted in the start of this thread it wouldn't have been such a big drama. But this thread had to get turned into an "everyone elses issues" thread that basically let the air out of it before it even started. I started this to help not be a drama fest. It wasn't a complete failure because now I know what to discuss here and what not to.
I applaud your attemp, but I just have to chuckle. Pretty much all internet discussion boards are like this. You should read the thread where I asked about shift points a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had stumbled into government employee forum with all the evasive responses I got. But there were 2 or 3 useful posts. If you care to read carefully, there are some good nuggets of information.

I thought all 911's rattled and ticked. That's what makes them 911's

If I wanted quiet I would have bought a MB.

I do realize there are good and bad noises, and I did learn a little.

Nice job.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also heard not to get into boost or over 4k RPMs until engine oil warms up. Not sure if that will play into any of the issues listed or more for general turbocharger care and feeding. Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 AM
SSST
Drifting

Originally Posted by raineycd
I have also heard not to get into boost or over 4k RPMs until engine oil warms up. Not sure if that will play into any of the issues listed or more for general turbocharger care and feeding. Thoughts?
I believe that mostly has to do with oil temperature. Hot oil flows easier and more evenly than cold oil.

So yes, hammering your motor before the oil gets up to temp would cause accelerated wear and tear on the motor.

That would be true for NA as well as turbos.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Most if not all of the failures this engine encounters are due to outside influences like oil types, change intervals...
Data for these two influences??

I specifically asked Kevin about oil change intervals on the engines he has seen with major problems, and he said there was no data trail. Here's his response...

"...they weren't engines owned or serviced by me. Most were engines that failed where no history was given for previous service records. 2nd and 3rd owner cars."

What hard data do you have to support that oil type or change intervals are two of four influences that have contributed to most if not all of the failures?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
I believe that mostly has to do with oil temperature. Hot oil flows easier and more evenly than cold oil.

So yes, hammering your motor before the oil gets up to temp would cause accelerated wear and tear on the motor.

That would be true for NA as well as turbos.
There was a Turbo owner on 6-speed years ago who collected data from his car and did research on oil temperatures and the chemical properties of the oil with regard to its temperature. His conclusion was something on the order of this (I don't have exactly what he said available, but I think what follows is close) ...the minimum oil temperature required before max performing the engine is reached after approximately 15 minuets of engine operation at 60 degrees ambient using a maximum RPM of 3000. His personal technique was to keep the RPM under 3000 until this gouge time/temperature had been met. Obviously it's not always 60 degrees outside, but his attempt was to establish a gouge that an owner could start with and flex with from there.

I personally keep RPM under 3000 and avoid WOT until I think the engine and transmission oil are sufficiently warmed up.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 AM
SSST
Drifting

I was wondering how long it takes the oil to get up to temp in one of these. My coolant gets up to temp in about 5 minutes.

Of course in Houston in the summer, the oil is probably at temp by the time I get to the end of the driveway
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I believe there are also some metallurgical advantages by allowing the engine to warm up prior to higher RPM exposure and/or hard pulls.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Here is a thread that was PM'd to me this evening. The new owner wants to buy this car and takes it into the dealer clear across the US.. Barrier, (in my back yard) does the PPI and discovers the camshaft sealing ring failure AND scored cam housing. They replace it and get the car shipped to the new owner. The owner receives it and quickly notices "Zero" oil pressure and a failed battery. Takes it into the local dealer to find a crumpled oil filter and the engine found strap (not tightened)...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...lf-hour-3.html

What a hit... You can see the metal transfer. What they don't show is the sealing ring cover. You get the engine fixed to find out that the tech mashed the oil filter. It is almost impossible to do. Please NOTE>>> to prevent this, place the filter in the oil console. Don't secure/place it in the cap and tighten. The new owner was banging 1.5 bars in his new ride under these conditions.

Check this video >>> A little comic relief!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUkXriHjQeI&feature=fvsr
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Originally Posted by Dock
Data for these two influences??

I specifically asked Kevin about oil change intervals on the engines he has seen with major problems, and he said there was no data trail. Here's his response...

"...they weren't engines owned or serviced by me. Most were engines that failed where no history was given for previous service records. 2nd and 3rd owner cars."

What hard data do you have to support that oil type or change intervals are two of four influences that have contributed to most if not all of the failures?
I have no data. All I have is what I have been told by people who tear them apart. I have not seen them myself. But I can't see how I would have much in the way of data to support this unless I took an engine and tore it down after various conditions and checked bearing and other wear areas then induced some of the suspected outside conditions and checked the engine after said conditions. I'll be honest, until an engine builder answers all these questions we are not gonna have that data. And Kevin isn't the only guy who builds these engines. He is the only one kind enought to share anything here for us. And I wouldn't expect any graphs to be provided. No owner/operator of these cars is gonna know the data unless they are tearing down engines on the side.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have no data. All I have is what I have been told by people who tear them apart.
Did you read Kevin's quote I posted above?

The comment you made about the influences on engine problems (see below) seems to be exactly what you were trying avoid in this thread. You statement below offers no hard data at all and therefore doesn't move us along towards nailing anything down.

Most if not all of the failures this engine encounters are due to outside influences like oil types, change intervals, overrevs and other outside influences.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this post! Plus Porsche just won top car for reliability by JD Power again...

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...ievers&p=18989
Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raineycd
See T2's same title thread here (posted today).
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Originally Posted by Dock
Did you read Kevin's quote I posted above?

The comment you made about the influences on engine problems (see below) seems to be exactly what you were trying avoid in this thread. You statement below offers no hard data at all and therefore doesn't move us along towards nailing anything down.

Listen, I spent a significant amount(2years) of time researching this car before I purchased it and I spoke to numerous people who tear these engines down frequently. They echoed what I posted above. The issues exist. But their is no reason to panic about them because most of them can be avoided. And they are not very common. I mean no offense to Kevin in the following points. I respect his input and would like more data from his as pertains to the issues. When you work in a field that Kevin does you have to consider that he sees mostly bad engines. People rarely tear down a 996TT engine for ****s and giggles. So his sample of the engines are mainly of engines with issues. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is talking about. It just means that his view of 996TT is from the perspective of somebody who fixes them, not somebody like us who just drives them. That is like asking a homocide detective what his view of civilization is.

I cannot make people contribute to this thread to back up my info. I was hoping for more of a contribution from engine builders. Especially when the thread here is already turning into a witch hunt against anyone thinks the 996TT engine isn't invinceable. Honestly, I have my issues with some of the ways Kevin presents the issues this engine has. I think his posts are sometimes perceived as a "your engine is gonna blow up" thread. I have read some and thought the same thing too. But all he does is fix ****ed up engines! Don't drop the hammer so hard on him for posting his experiences. After all his contributions are important to the community. It is his choice on what he shares and doesn't and as much as I want more input from him on the scope of these issues I can't fault him for how much he contributes when most other engine builders don't share anything. And for gods sakes lets get on with data and keep the jabs at a minimal. I will. It is obvious you have issues with this subject and some members thoughts, but I think we can move in the right direction without being so brash with your responses.

All that aside I know that a majority of 996TT owners are not tearing their engines apart for issues. And most people can expect over 100k without any major engine services.

Quick Reply: Can we lay all the cards on the table with 996TT engine concerns