Fuel pump issues? replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,559 Posts
Default Fuel pump issues? replacement?

My '10 TT is cranking for while before it fires and the fuel pump is whining loudly even with a full tank so I am think the pump is getting ready to call it quits.

I will check the voltages to be sure but I think I will be replacing the pump soon.

My question is, is the pump in the tank? and accessible by unscrewing the big pickle jar lid under the rectangular cover held down by 4 caps screws?

And described in this thread for a 996: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...placement.html

thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
My '10 TT is cranking for while before it fires and the fuel pump is whining loudly even with a full tank so I am think the pump is getting ready to call it quits.

I will check the voltages to be sure but I think I will be replacing the pump soon.

My question is, is the pump in the tank? and accessible by unscrewing the big pickle jar lid under the rectangular cover held down by 4 caps screws?

And described in this thread for a 996: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...placement.html

thanks.
Near as I can tell the fuel pump is in the tank. The description of the cover held down by 4 screws and the pickle jar lid describes to a T the look of my Boxster's fuel pump access cover and the collar nut/threaded ring that holds the pump down and in the tank and seals the tank.

I checked my 996 Turbo factory manual for a fuel pump R&R chapter but the fuel pump R&R is in the Carrera 4S factory manuals which I do not have.

Be very aware that when you loosen that threaded collar and open the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump volumes of gas vapor can be released into the air around where you are working. Be careful of any static electricity.

Check for leaks after you get everything back together again. I have a pic of my Boxster's fuel pump area after over 220K miles of use and there was absolutely no signs of any fluid leak at any time. There was no signs of gas stain and the dust looked to be orignal Porsche factory dust. Dry. Dry. Dry.

The fuel pump is held in place by something on the floor of the tank. The fuel pump needs to be twisted one way or the the other (counter clockwise, I suspect, well, guess) to loosen the pump from what holds it down to the floor of the gas tank. If you have a new pump you can tell which direction to turn the pump to secure it to the floor of the tank by looking at the bottom of the pump.

In fact, I just looked at my Boxster's old fuel pump and the direction to loosen it counterclockwise. Clockwise (or course) to tighten. Not too many degrees either. Roughly I'd say about 15 degrees.

At least one seal (maybe the one of the threaded collar?) or the fuel level sensor seal/gasket needs to be replaced, that is can't be reused.

If you buy the fuel pump from a knowledgeable source he should know this, or know what is needed besides the fuel pump, if anything.

Of course the new pump needs to be installed and twisted just so to properly secure the new pump to the floor of the tank.

Take pics *before* you remove the pump to remember exactly the orientation of the old pump so you can duplicate it with the new one. Also to have on record -- never trust your memory -- of the fuel line and power/ground wiring routing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Forum member PUMA has a good thread about his fuel pump failure. He has picture of the assy and some good assembly steps..

Yes, it's in the fuel cell under the cover. You have to pull out the fuel gauge sending unit, and then remove the venturi pumps (2 each) and then twist the swirlpot to remove the pump.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

Here is Alex )Puma) post: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-pictures.html
Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know if you have questions about the install
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word of warning.

I had a loudly whining fuel pump last year. I had it replaced as part of my major service - and one month later, I had a loudly whining fuel pump again.

The mechanics found that in addition to the normal fuel filter (which has obviously been regularly replaced, including at that major service) there is also a filter in the fuel level sender unit. And they guessed this was blocked - and that was what was causing my pump to work so much harder.

A second new pump - and a new fuel level sender unit (obviously you wouldn't be able to buy just the filter.....) and the problem did not return. Hopefully, yours is just a matter of age - but beware, there could be a reason it's started working so hard.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,559 Posts

So a strange turn events has occurred.

My long cranking and whining pump started after I had removed the upper dash to run some power wires for a GPS and a radar detector. When I reconnected the instruments the gas level in the tank was below where the gauge can read so I was getting notices to check the fuel level. I knew there was plenty in there so I just drove for few days and then noticed the whine of the pump.

When I finally filled the tank I noticed the gauge went to 4/4 full which it had never done in the past it always came up short of full. So I figured something had changed but the pump was still whining.

I heard that Porsche computer systems sometime lose their place and that if you turn the key to "on" position but not start the car and leave it in the "on" position for a couple of minutes the electronics "reset". I did this last night and today the car now fires right up and the pump doesn't whine.

Weird, eh?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issues? replacement?