Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM
dlovell
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Thanks to some suggestions from Rennlist members and downloading a service manual from PDFTown.com I replaced the fuel pump in my 01 C2 Cab. Turned out to be a pretty easy job. I am still amazed that one minute the pump was fine the next dead. I will list the steps I used to diagnoss the bad pump. The first simptom was the car would not fire at all, but a little fuel in the throttle body and it would fire right up.

1 Make sure fuel pump fuse and relay (13) are good
2 Remove battery and battery tray exposing fuel tank access ring
3 Jumper relay 13 (fuel pump), top to bottom terminal, check for 12 volts on the electrical conection on the top of the fuel sending unit . Check the two outboard wires, the two inner ones are for the fuel level gauge. If you have 12 volts I would guess 95% bad pump
4 If you really want to be sure disconect fuel lines on top of fuel level sending unit. If you have 12 volts on your multi-meter, plug in conector. If fuel doesn't come up, bad pump. Be careful you don't have fuel shooting out

Replace Pump

1 Disconect fuel lines and electrical connections
2 Use a hammer and a block of wood and tap loose sealing ring. Left to loosen.
3 Remove ring, pull loose the fuel level sending unit, remove rubber seal
4 Disconect fuel lines and electrical connections on under side of sending unit
5 Remove sending unit and pump out fuel in tank
6 Look into tank fuel pump is left of center, Grab and turn 1/4 turn to the left to unlock from fittings. Remove from tank.

Reverse this to install new pump. Not that hard.

I picked up the OEM VDO pump (make sure the rubber seal is in good shape or replace) from Autohause for $226.00 had it in three days took about an hour to reinstall. I also down loaded the service manuals from PDFTown.com a big help. I tried to upload some pic. but I could not get the file transfer to work. If somebody can help I will add the pictures.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics would be great.

To post pics:

Use the "Go Advanced" button to reply with more features. Scrool down a bit and there is a button for "Manage Attachments" where you can upload pics.

Pics must be smaller than 1024 x 1024 and less than 146.0kb.

A quick and easy way to re size pics is to use the Microsoft PowerToys image resizer. It's free, and once you download and install it, all you have to do is select all the files you want to resize, right click, select the desired size, and you're done. It will resize the originals or create copies, whichever you choose.

Microsoft PowerToys

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement