Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone near West Palm Beach for inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anyone near West Palm Beach for inspection?

I'm in the negeotiating process with a seller of an '05 Turbo S Cab and before I pay for a PPI, I'd like to have someone that has experience with Porsches have a quick look over.

I'd be very greatful if someone closeby would have a look and give me their impression. Also any recommendation for a PPI except Braman Porsche?

TIA
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Being I am not available for awhile many trips for work. I can recommend a shop that all they do is Porsches. It's called Orbit Racing off of Haverhill Road and Beeline Hwy. Thier website is http://www.orbitracing.com/, Rodger is the owner, and has done work for me on a few ocassions. I trust this guy! He is extremley fair. His shop is impeccable, you can eat off the floor.
Their number is 561-840-2109

Hope this helps!

Sorry I cannot be around to take a look.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest asking in the RL Florida forum

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...rnational-148/

I am sure you will find someone to help
Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
kezcapt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 30 minute drive but Gulf performance in Pompano is an excellent shop. Call Vinnie and set something up. I have used him for years and he is extremely knowledgeable. He is also one of the few that has the latest Piwis and other factory computers so you know the job is done right. You won't be disappointed.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 250 Posts

+996 on Orbit Racing. I bought my '01TT in West Palm Beach and took it to Orbit as part of my PPI. They were great and very reasonable. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Orbit or Tuners Mall...

Both are nice places and know the cars.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
nick49
Drifting

Thanks for your help guys!

This car seems to have some exposure damage from the sun possibly salt? and high humidity. The owner lives next to the ocean, but isn't volunteering any info except he had the headlight lenses polished out at his body shop and they look 95% new, (WTF?). He also wants to sell it himself but run it as a trade thru a dealer for a tax advantage on a new car purchase. Dealer wants to charge the P buyer nearly $1800 in misc fees beyond the agreed sales price. I decided to run away.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick49
Thanks for your help guys!

This car seems to have some exposure damage from the sun possibly salt? and high humidity. The owner lives next to the ocean, but isn't volunteering any info except he had the headlight lenses polished out at his body shop and they look 95% new, (WTF?). He also wants to sell it himself but run it as a trade thru a dealer for a tax advantage on a new car purchase. Dealer wants to charge the P buyer nearly $1800 in misc fees beyond the agreed sales price. I decided to run away.
Good idea.

Were you going to use the P dealer for the PPI??? Not recommended- some of the shoddiest PPIs I've heard of come from P dealers. The really have no set inspection plan when they do them.

Owner sounds like a flake too.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
nick49
Drifting

Actually the owner called me back a couple of times and is trying to work with me. The good is that he bought it brand new, is elderly, has all the books, records, receipts, keys, window sticker, etc.

So if any one is available for a look, it would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
YZWILLY
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this the one where the guy bought it in Atlantic City, Nj with a couple of accidents maybe 50k miles?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick49
Actually the owner called me back a couple of times and is trying to work with me. The good is that he bought it brand new, is elderly, has all the books, records, receipts, keys, window sticker, etc.

So if any one is available for a look, it would be appreciated.
Records and history can be valuable... knowing how the car was treated is something that cannot be "PPI'd in"

Love to help, but 3k miles away. Chose a shop to do the PPI carefully, make sure you know what they will inspect- I suggest the CPO checklist- same items, same criteria, in writing...and add a dump of the DME for all errors and over-rev data.

GL

A
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
nick49
Drifting

Rodger at Orbit Racing did a PPi for me. Checked out the car thoroughly and paid particular attention to things that I had outlined. He wrote a report and faxed it to me and the owner with his findings. He then followed up with a phone call and we discussed further and in more detail some issues outlined in the report. Very professional, knew what I wanted, what was important and what was not.

Highly recommended, prompt service, very reasonable!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He is great! If you ever make a trip, go see his shop, you can eat off the floor, and see all the Porshces he has and is working on! He is very passionate about Porsche, that's all he does! I would trust him over just about anybody!

So what did Rodger find???
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
nick49
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
He is great! If you ever make a trip, go see his shop, you can eat off the floor, and see all the Porshces he has and is working on! He is very passionate about Porsche, that's all he does! I would trust him over just about anybody!

So what did Rodger find???
He found the car overall in good mechanical condition and a good driver with everything working and no immediate mechanical issues. The interior was dirty and not kept up, scuffs and abraisions on the soft top, rust and salt corrosion on the undercarriage. Lots and lots of minor nit picky issues. The car was a daily beater that the owner would drive and park anywhere. A good car if you're looking for exotic transportation. Rodger said it best that $15k spent on this car will not make it look like a garage queen.

Not what I want.

Quick Reply: Anyone near West Palm Beach for inspection?