Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the itch for new wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Getting the itch for new wheels...

Not a big fan of the hollow spoke Turbo wheels. Their look is to me a bit dated.

I read a post by someone who commented favorably on OZ wheels, 18" wheels. (I have no desire to go bigger in diameter.)

I looked and found OZ wheels -- one piece wheels and not the racing wheels that are 3 piece -- for around $400/each in a size that my Turbo (2003) requires.

Tempting.

But I'm cautious about moving to a different wheel on the Turbo.

How do the OZ wheels stack up against the stock wheels?

I do not want to mount heavier wheels than stock. I would of course accepte lighte weight wheels if they will hold up well and not go all out of round and wobbly on me the first time some rough road is encountered. I'm not a curb basher or pothole smasher and watch road conditions carefully but my car is driven quite a bit (not quite a daily driver cause I got another Porsche I like to drive too) and on regular roads. Some of them "rough".

In short I want the same quality of wheel as the stock wheels but I want something that looks different and to my eye better than the stock wheels. (Besides, replacement stock wheels cost $1800+. I don't need a replacement wheel but just knowing the cost...)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the the Alleggaritas{spelling} are lighter than stock and that a few guys are tracking them, but as far as long term reports of dependability, I think it's too early to tell. If you are not tracking your car I think they will probably be fine, as OZ has a good reputation and supposedly has done the research for their casting process. As you know, most of the proven wheels that are associated with Porsche don't come cheap.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the OZ Superleggera III's for a couple of years. Mine are 19", they look fantastic. Very strong, not much lighter than stock (27 lbs front/ 28 lbs rear).
Very well-made. These are the wheels Ruf uses on their Rgt-12 cars, and they know a thing or two about wheels.
Not cheap, at around $900/wheel, but worth every penny. You won't be dissapointed.
The Ultraleggera HLT's are significantly lighter (18/20 lbs) and cheaper too (around $450/wheel).
The Alleggerita HLT's are even lighter, and cheaper.
Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I've had the OZ Superleggera III's for a couple of years. Mine are 19", they look fantastic. Very strong, not much lighter than stock (27 lbs front/ 28 lbs rear).
Very well-made. These are the wheels Ruf uses on their Rgt-12 cars, and they know a thing or two about wheels.
Not cheap, at around $900/wheel, but worth every penny. You won't be dissapointed.
The Ultraleggera HLT's are significantly lighter (18/20 lbs) and cheaper too (around $450/wheel).
The Alleggerita HLT's are even lighter, and cheaper.
Good Luck!
Thanks.

Question: why would the lighter wheels be cheaper? Generally lighter in weight costs more not less.

I searched and found pics of the Alleggerita HLT 18" wheel and believe Anthracite Painted the right color for my Arctic Silver car. They are $375/each. Add another $38/each if I want Porsche center caps. (Wonder if the center caps from my current stock wheels will fit?)

Let's see, these OZ wheels are lighter than stock. Cheaper. Even better looking and I assume are the same offset, width, etc. as stock?...

Great. Just great. I was hoping someone would provide info that would discourage me from the OZ wheel idea, but all everyone has done is to provide me with every reason to proceed...

Sigh.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Good luck, let us know how they work out.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the Superleggera's are 3-piece, forged wheels, more costly to make and put together, torque, etc.
The others are 1-piece, cast wheels. Lighter, yet probably not as structurally strong.
I have my stock, painted crest centers on mine. They fit OK, not perfect, a bit proud, but they fit. So far they've stayed put, and at very high speeds!
Good luck, post some pics with the new wheels!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Champion wheels are the best, esp on a 996tt.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

The RG-5's are beautiful, light, and strong, but they aren't cheap.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Land Jet
The RG-5's are beautiful, light, and strong, but they aren't cheap.
Yes, I knew someone who had a set on his Boxster S and they wheels looked real good. But I priced a set and hoo boy... ain't cheap is an understatement.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Forgeline
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Forgeline
They're a nice looking wheel but gosh they're also expensive.

I think if I go with any aftermarket wheels they'll be those OZ thingies. I think I'll wait until the Turbo needs new tires then order the wheels and have them fitted with new tires.

I'll store the original Turbo wheels (sans tires).

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

Macster,

Any interest in a set of 18" Kinesis K59Rs with 95% tread on MPSC?

Edwin
Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 AM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you find the OZ in a 8 x 11" wheel?

All I see are 10" and 12" on the Alleggerita HLT.

Originally Posted by Macster
Thanks.

Question: why would the lighter wheels be cheaper? Generally lighter in weight costs more not less.

I searched and found pics of the Alleggerita HLT 18" wheel and believe Anthracite Painted the right color for my Arctic Silver car. They are $375/each. Add another $38/each if I want Porsche center caps. (Wonder if the center caps from my current stock wheels will fit?)

Let's see, these OZ wheels are lighter than stock. Cheaper. Even better looking and I assume are the same offset, width, etc. as stock?...

Great. Just great. I was hoping someone would provide info that would discourage me from the OZ wheel idea, but all everyone has done is to provide me with every reason to proceed...

Sigh.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Szpet
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, here in Sweden we have 11" available so I´m sure they are in US to.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Can't go wrong with OZs.

Quick Reply: Getting the itch for new wheels...