Sponsored by:

Installed UMW Stage2A.. the fun has begun

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Seattle996
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Installed UMW Stage2A.. the fun has begun

It all started with an ECU tune. I was going to keep it simple. I didn’t want to go down that same slippery slope all my cars are victim of. But things don’t always go to plan. When Kevin from UMW sold me his ECU tune.. he said, “enjoy the appetizer!”

Knowing that every call, email and text are responded to immediately at ALL hours of the day and night is a service that is hard to explain and impossible to duplicate.

I ended up with his Stage 2a package. In short, it’s a K16/997GT2 Hybrid Zero Clearance turbo. Through the help of my great friend Eric, we lifted the car up on jack stands and did the install in my garage within a day. FYI.. once you get that rear bumper off, this car is relatively easy to work on. This is coming from a guy that didn’t know a wrench from a ratchet.. Ask Kevin.. he swung by and I could tell he was nervous I was doing the install. Priceless moment!

So after the repulsive and agonizing break in period of 250 miles.. the car just rips! I’m talking about 1st gear is useless, 2nd gear smokes up the tires/oh **** watch out your gonna hit the rev limiter, 3rd gear pull is unreal, 4th gear your trying to remember if the volume is up on the radar detector and why do these brakes suck *** all of a sudden. It is an experience I have never had in another car before. Unbelievable power.. torque at all revs.. It rips from 2K and upwards. There is no comparison from an ECU tune to a Turbo upgrade.

I took my brother in law out for a spin.. hearing him squeal in the passenger seat is a precious moment I will never forget. It’s the true indicator of your car being bad ***. This package is awesome. The ride is as smooth as stock., idle is perfect. I’m also equipped with a Europipe Loud exhaust…. The sound is nasty!!! Intoxicating..

I drive my car in the rain.. hell I’d drive it in the snow if my tires allowed. Its got 67,000 miles and counting.. and it drives better now than it did before. Awesome stuff to anyone that is on the fence.

I will post some 60-130 stats soon..

Last edited by Seattle996; 12-22-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: exhaust name
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
akfalar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nasty and Intoxicating! Love It! I just ordered the Stage 2 for mine.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle996
It all started with an ECU tune. I was going to keep it simple. I didn’t want to go down that same slippery slope all my cars are victim of. But things don’t always go to plan.
We all started that way

For me, I haven't been down that path yet and while my wallet dreads that call, I can't wait to hook up with Kevin and **** off my wallet
Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM
polar3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered my ECU tune from Kevin. I am also planning on keeping it "simple". Reading this thread makes my wallet nervous lol
Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

I can't wait for Dell to finally drive mine, so I can help him **** his wallet off...

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

My wife just said you are banned from any further contact.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good to hear seattle996, I can't wait! what is the breakin period max boost? do you slowly build up over the miles or just keep it under a certain boost?
Did you do a clutch?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm buying Kevins ECU tune, wastegate kit and diverter valve upgrade in the spring (I'm in Canada--the baby is asleep in storage until April). Prices he quoted me are excellent. I'm really looking forward to the extra boost.
Just so I know how much I'm in for ahead of time-what is the stage 2 turbo upgrade gonna set me back? (I know myself enough to say that it will be ordered sooner or later...)
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Seattle996
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
Thats good to hear seattle996, I can't wait! what is the breakin period max boost? do you slowly build up over the miles or just keep it under a certain boost?
Did you do a clutch?
He has an elaborate break in period.. yes you do build up boost with mileage but its agonizing.. When 250 hits.. its erotic.

Originally Posted by Fastboy
I'm buying Kevins ECU tune, wastegate kit and diverter valve upgrade in the spring (I'm in Canada--the baby is asleep in storage until April). Prices he quoted me are excellent. I'm really looking forward to the extra boost.
Just so I know how much I'm in for ahead of time-what is the stage 2 turbo upgrade gonna set me back? (I know myself enough to say that it will be ordered sooner or later...)
Send him a PM about price. Power/Dollar ratio is one of the best out there for any tuner IMO.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

These should look familiar..

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...otorwerks.html

Pricing for the Stage 2A is $5,895.00
Old 12-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Dell, I can't wait...

Park, you'll get thru the break in period with no problem.. If you can't keep your foot out of it I can write you a break-in file. With Seattle (Bojan) he just couldn't get out and drive the car, we had snow, and then rain/flooding.

Fastboy, call me anytime. If the car is laid up, you can remove your actuators and get the wastegate kit installed.

Polar (Steven) Thanks for the call today!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevin
Dell, I can't wait...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am willing to make a ruling on the field and declare that anything Dell buys from Kevin is classified as 996Turbo "jewelry" and is therefore considered cosmedic and therefore a 'non mod'.

Dell's wallet is therefore placed on the 1 yard line, first and goal to go.

Signed,
Santa
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

In related news......

An unidentified man getting out of a slate grey non-modded Turbo was spotted climbing in to the cockpit of a F-14 and could be heard saying "Santa must die........"
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Resistance is futile. Surely you knew this going in.

It takes a rare breed of individual to actually own a non mod garage queen ... OK perhaps an odd individual

Go ahead, go for the Kevin 'bling'

Quick Reply: Installed UMW Stage2A.. the fun has begun