Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

964-C2 If the faulty IMS gear, bearing, sprocket failure occurs you will be forced to rebuild the engine. The cost for this will set you back $15 to 20K depending on the damage. If you need a new crankshaft due to scoring and a new oil pump it is far better to buy a new factory replacement engine at around $28K..

Update: I was able to tear apart another core during the holidays. The results are showing worn sprocket teeth that drive the cam chains. It's like they were eroded away. I will stand on my soap box and preach>> Change your oil more frequent>> Check your oil filter> Increase the oil weight from 0W40 to a 5W..

I'll post a picture of the IMS with the damaged sprocket in awhile.

I'd go one step in a general recommendation for "anyone" that is wanting to purchase a second or third hand 996TT to have the tech (during the PPI) show you the oil filter. I'd actually want a car that had some miles on the oil vs getting one that has had the oil changed.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Macster it's not the oil pump bolts.. The bolts secure the IMS drive gear to the shaft.

Thinking out of the box, if non uniform wear occurs to the two IMS sprockets, this would cause a unbalance. The frequency could back out the bolt holding the gear to the shaft.

Quick Reply: Why you want to CHECK your oil filter