Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spot the source of the "dry bearing noise" and win...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Spot the source of the "dry bearing noise" and win...

Nothing.

Just thought some would be interested in seeing a bit of the Turbo's engine exposed.

Oh and I have included a pic of the tranny's side wet with oil from a leak.

And as bonus a pic of a Carrera 4S's coolant tank exposed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Attached Images    
Old 06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

My bet is the idle pulley right below the A/C compressor.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's *just* what I was going to say....

(right, and I know all the answers to Jeopardy too )
Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Poor Macster. Your engine is out ! Take a good look at the coolant lines fittings on the alternator bracket under the oil filter and around the water pump. It is a good time to get it welded instead of glued!!! see link: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...top-motor.html

But of course you are at the dealer and I doubt they are aware of this weakness....
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jpflip, you read Mac's post wrong. The picture of the engine out is not Mac's car..
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

OOPS! I'm sorry Thanks Landjet for the wake up call!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
OOPS! I'm sorry Thanks Landjet for the wake up call!
You want to see a Turbo engine out of the car? (Not my car! One I came across months ago that was in for what proved to be severe rodent (rats!) damage. Engine out cause rats gnawed engine wiring harness and even some hoses and of course alot of the interior of the car.)

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Rats damage!!!
My heart stop beating this winter when I found out something similar. Last fall I left a bag (25 pounds) of bird seeds inside the small shed in the backyard. About a month later I got back in the shed and there was bird seeds everywhere. I took the most stupid decision you can take, I decided to put the bag in the garage, which is detach from the house. Two weeks later, because in winter I start the car every two weeks, I've found bird seeds inside the car, none in the trunk, lots in the engine compartment, lots in the scoop around the expansion tank cap ???? They were taking the seeds from the bag and complete their lunch in the Porsche!!!! But probably because they had something to eat they did not eat any german food, rubber, wires, upholstery etc.... The bag is back in the shed inside a locked container..... May be I got one over one of the cylinder, "well done".....
I should stop feeding birds, after all this trouble and expenses they **** all over my old BMW.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
Rats damage!!!
My heart stop beating this winter when I found out something similar. Last fall I left a bag (25 pounds) of bird seeds inside the small shed in the backyard. About a month later I got back in the shed and there was bird seeds everywhere. I took the most stupid decision you can take, I decided to put the bag in the garage, which is detach from the house. Two weeks later, because in winter I start the car every two weeks, I've found bird seeds inside the car, none in the trunk, lots in the engine compartment, lots in the scoop around the expansion tank cap ???? They were taking the seeds from the bag and complete their lunch in the Porsche!!!! But probably because they had something to eat they did not eat any german food, rubber, wires, upholstery etc.... The bag is back in the shed inside a locked container..... May be I got one over one of the cylinder, "well done".....
I should stop feeding birds, after all this trouble and expenses they **** all over my old BMW.
You got lucky. In the case of the car the engine pictured came out of the rats ate their way from inside the cabin through into the engine compartment along side the driver's side of the body, gnawing through anything that go in their way. They gnawed on the engine compartment wiring harness and hoses.

It was because of a check engine light and odd engine symptoms the customer brought the car in. The tech was looking over the car and spotted a bunch of what at first looked like leaves on top of the tray under the engine area. Turned out to be rodent trash maybe even the remains of a nest. I didn't see the mess but I have a pic of the top of the tray. Yuck.

The car owner had insurance that covered the damage but there was a bit of a battle in that area. The insurance adjuster was very reluctant to authorize the removal of the engine which is the only way to gain access to the engine compartment and engine wiring harness and hoses in order to give these items the close inspection they require to determine if there is any damage.

Based on the errors and other signs/symptoms the technician suspected the hoses/harness had been damaged. Fortunately the adjuster relented helped by a tech who made a good case for removing the engine/transmisison.

Sure enough more damage was found. The engine wiring harness and some hoses had to be replaced.

Also, a lot of interior cabin stuff had to be replaced: seats (the rats gnawed through the seat covers and once inside through cushion material); tore up carpet material (probably for lining the nest) and gnawed through sound deadening material, etc.

I was not told how much the repair cost exactly but the impression I gathered was it came to over $20K.

And it didn't take long either for the rats to set up housekeeping. The car was left garaged unused for just a few weeks. If some neighbor tears down a shed, or clears away some brush on some nearby property, or a vacate lot is cleared to build upon, this can put otherwise happily housed rodents out on the street so to speak and in the market for a new home. A Porsche is better than a wood pile or a leaking old shed any day.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Spot the source of the "dry bearing noise" and win...