Sponsored by:

Update: "dry bearing noise"...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Update: "dry bearing noise"...

It was a belt roller/bearing. The cheapest one. The next cheapest is nearly $200 and the most expensive one -- part of the tensioner -- is even more money.

These more expensive ones look ok.

Non-working passenger side radiator [added] *fan*: Tech told he was unable to get the fan to blow at any of its 3 stages. (He didn't know the temp or other triggers for these stages.)

It is not the resistor. Showed me the resistor through an access panel just behind the fan. It is quite well protected from road splash. What happened is the fan [added] *hub with* blades came off the fan shaft. Every time the fan was turned on the electric motor shoved the shaft out and into the [added] *fan hub/blades which then shoved this into the* radiator.

Tech says he's never seen this before. New fan. New radiator.

More bad news. 6-speed transmission has a pretty good leak.

This is a very new leak because I had car in this dealer for an oil/filter service under 4K miles ago (which wasn't that long ago) and underside of car was dry then.

Tech tells me he's not sure if this leak can be fixed by a transmission rebuild or if the transmission requires replacement. Porsche will tell him.

Leak on passenger side of transmission maybe around some shifter linkage shafts. I will try to get better pics as soon as I can. My camera was acting up and wouldn't fire all the time.

Now the good news.... Wait, more bad news: The rear tires are worn too far worn to leave them on the car. No way they'll cover the 4K+ miles I'll put on the car during road trip I have (had) scheduled shortly.

So new rear tires will be installed. Have maybe 15K miles on the tires now. Replaced last November. Just a hint of wear on the inside edges of the rear tires. Fronts are ok and have covered around 24.5K miles.

*Now* the good news. All items but the tires covered by CPO warranty.

A bit of background: I've put around 24.5K miles on car since I bought it with 9500 miles last June. Car has just under 34K miles.

Thank goodness for the CPO warranty. Otherwise this would be an expensive visit to the dealer.

Car will be out of service 7 to 10 days while transmission issue dealt with and parts or new transmission ordered.

As best I can I'll take whatever pics I can so I can record what goes on.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 06-01-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Macster. Take a look at the price for example at Pelican. The deflection rollers are $144 and the tensioning roller $211.50.... Good thing you got a warranty!

Last edited by jpflip; 06-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go Mac, glad it's under warranty. People, never jump to the conclusion that these noises are coming from the power steering pump before you check this much cheaper belt tensioner possibility.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpflip
Macster. Take a look at the price for example at Pelican. The deflection rollers are $144 and the tensioning roller $211.50.... Good thing you got a warranty!
Good thing indeed.

When I bought the car I felt a paid a bit more than I could have, should have, but I consoled myself by reminding myself of the CPO warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great news!

This could get ulgy if having to pay out of pocket.

What kind of job do you have to be able to drive nearly 25k miles in just less than a year? And I'm sure you must have put a few miles on the Boxster too. Or are you retired?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got an aftermarket warranty...same deal....new tranny for 2nd gear pop out...now it is perfect....a/c coontroller unit (LCD) went up..no problem...etc.

Warranties are good things....these are are super reliable, but if they go bad....ouch.

Jeff
Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by nick49
Great news!

This could get ulgy if having to pay out of pocket.

What kind of job do you have to be able to drive nearly 25k miles in just less than a year? And I'm sure you must have put a few miles on the Boxster too. Or are you retired?
No, not retired. I'm a senior firmware engineer and write firmware for automobile test equipment for retail and commerical products. I do not use my cars for work. I am not required to travel for work other than once in a very great while (like to Europe 2 years ago to test European cars).

Once in awhile I manage to get some time off -- most of the time a week at best -- and drive 4K to 5K miles in a week. Haven't had any time off though since last November. I was supposed to be off this week but car trouble caused me to abort the trip before even reaching Mojave CA (I live in Livermore CA) and turn around and come back home. That was around 750 miles there and back in one day.

Most recently with my other car in the shop off and on -- fuel pump this last time -- the Turbo has been my only car and gets used for daily driving. I commute 60 miles a day and sometimes have to drive that far or more for family reasons.

Oh, the Boxster has over 231K miles on it, accumulated since I bought the car new in Jan '02.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
No, not retired. I'm a senior firmware engineer and write firmware for automobile test equipment for retail and commerical products. I do not use my cars for work. I am not required to travel for work other than once in a very great while (like to Europe 2 years ago to test European cars).

Once in awhile I manage to get some time off -- most of the time a week at best -- and drive 4K to 5K miles in a week. Haven't had any time off though since last November. I was supposed to be off this week but car trouble caused me to abort the trip before even reaching Mojave CA (I live in Livermore CA) and turn around and come back home. That was around 750 miles there and back in one day.

Most recently with my other car in the shop off and on -- fuel pump this last time -- the Turbo has been my only car and gets used for daily driving. I commute 60 miles a day and sometimes have to drive that far or more for family reasons.

Oh, the Boxster has over 231K miles on it, accumulated since I bought the car new in Jan '02.

Sincerely,

Macster.
You remind me of someone that used to post on PPBB years back. (Boxster site)
Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by nick49
You remind me of someone that used to post on PPBB years back. (Boxster site)
I still post there when I think I have something of value to post. I have covered alot of miles in my Boxster and have no little experience with some aspects of it. And I still have the Boxster. I'm driving it while my Turbo's in the shop.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster glad it won't cost you very much because of the CPO. Does anyone have an estimate and what it might have costed with no CPO?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rob993
Macster glad it won't cost you very much because of the CPO. Does anyone have an estimate and what it might have costed with no CPO?
Based on some info I have gathered prior to this roughly the cost would over $10K. A bit over $9K for the new transmission and labor to remove the engine/transmission then seperate the two and bolt the new transmission to the engine and then install the engine/new tansmission back in the car.

If the transmission were to be "rebuilt" to fix the leak the new transmission cost comes out but then labor for the transmission rebuild gets added in. I believe a rebuild would be less costly but how much I can't say.

The cost to address the other issues I don't know for sure but probably all added together would come to somewhere between $1500 and $2000.

All I can say is when I bought the car I was feeling a bit like I paid too much, not that much too much but some. But I told myself at least it had a CPO warranty though my research of these cars found they're pretty reliable and trouble free, especially the engine which of course the other models with the different engine design have issues with which we read about every once in awhile.

That the 1st owner had the car in early for some noises (turned out to sun roof rattling) and a malfunctioning spoiler all covered under a new car warranty and the car as in pristine condition essentially a new car other than the odometer had 9500 miles on vs. say 9.5 miles a new car might have I was under the impression all the possible problems a new car can have were taken care of and the CPO warranty would go unused.

Well, I'm feeling just a bit better now about that CPO warranty and the premium price I paid for the car. I don't think I'll ever own another used Porsche without a CPO warranty unless of course I buy a new Porsche with a factory warranty.

Which I'm thinking of doing. Yes, I'm thinking of after I get the Turbo back and after living with it for a while longer, mainly to be sure all issues have been taken care of, that I'll put the car on the market and once sold shop for and buy a new Porsche. I sort of have my eye on so to speak a new Cayman S with the new DFI engine, PDK, sports chrono, autoclimate control, on-board computer, and PCCB brakes.

While the Turbo is a fantastic car and one I could enjoy for years to come I really miss the Cayman S experience (I owned an 08 Cayman S for a few weeks a year ago and lost it to an accident -- the Turbo is what I replaced the Cayman with) and I'm just going to see what happens and if I can get back into another new Cayman S albeit a couple of years newer than the 08 I was in then I will.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a Cayman S and it felt gutless to me after having a boosted car. I love the Cayman but don't think I could give up the sling shot.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I drove a Cayman S and it felt gutless to me after having a boosted car. I love the Cayman but don't think I could give up the sling shot.
I agree the slingshot feeling very addictive. But I find the longer I'm out of a slingshot car and back in another car the mind forgets.

When I drove my 06 GTO then went back to the Boxster at first there was quite a difference. But the Boxster surprisingly with its very quick shifting 5-speed seemed to feel quicker than it was compared to the rather slow deliberate shifting the GTO required. And the Turbo requires much the same shifting technique.

Another thing driving my considering moving from the Turbo to the Cayman S is the switch from the manual 6-speed transmission to the 7 speed PDK. I'm having pain in my left foot quite often that makes walking a bit difficult and shfiting the car, having to work the clutch pedal with my left foot is also painful. And I worry when I'm on a long trip of getting to the point I might not able to to press the clutch pedal down at all and could end up stranded or having to seek medical attention in case my medicine doesn't work.

While I could of course get the PDK in a Carrera or even a Turbo they're a bit beyond my affordably comfort index right now. Plus I really like the Cayman S's feel. That mid-engine location is sweet.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Update: "dry bearing noise"...