Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2002 RUF R Turbo

? Thanks!!!

Last edited by Kerrage; 07-25-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: errors
Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

It should not do it all the time, but a little chatter now and then is not uncommon with the Sachs racing clutch.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrage
I am told this can be noraml due to the high HP and light weight aluminum flywheel?

I also heard maybe previous owner may have been letting clutch out too late and may have worn the flywheel and that proper driving may smooth it out in time?
Told by the seller?

DO NOT TRUST A WORD THE SELLING DEALER SAYS- they will lead you to believe whatever you need to believe to close the deal.

Get a pre-purchase inspection from an independent mechanic, with a defined set of inspection items.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site as I am just in the process of buying a 02 R turbot (550 package) with 37 (KMs). after PPI it was noted the car chatters in first and reverse with taking off. I am told this can be noraml due to the high HP and light weight aluminum flywheel? I also heard maybe previous owner may have been letting clutch out too late and may have worn the flywheel and that proper driving may smooth it out in time? Any input from you experts? Thanks!!!
Agree with adam_. To state it another way: Everything a dealer tells you is intended to get you to pay as much for the car as possible and to buy the car right now.

Even stock with the Turbo's HP/torque the clutch needs to be quite robust. If you can find no reason to reject the car you should budget/allow for a clutch job and probably a new flywheel just to be safe and adjust your offer accordingly.

You'll probably have to go aftermarket to find one that can handle the hp/torque -- I assume the "550 package" refers to hp/torque gain and not something else?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Yes 550 means its at 550hp/575ftlbs. I took it to an independent Porsche dealer. They confirmed that there may be some "flat spots" on the flywheel and that regular proper driving should smooth it out.....They also new the previous owner and said he was a maintenance freak so nothing alarming has come from the previous owner. thanks guys
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you from Vancouver? Did you buy this car from Ferrari? Which shop did your PPI?

The Ruf 550 does not have a lightweight flywheel, but there are Ruf specific parts in that clutch kit.

If you need the part numbers for the Ruf clutch kit let me know.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Yes 550 means its at 550hp/575ftlbs. I took it to an independent Porsche dealer. They confirmed that there may be some "flat spots" on the flywheel and that regular proper driving should smooth it out.....They also new the previous owner and said he was a maintenance freak so nothing alarming has come from the previous owner. thanks guys
Well, not to put to fine a point on it, but in "confirming" there may be some "flat spots" on the flywheel and that with regular driving should smooth out, also confirms there may not "flat spots" but something else going on that accounts for the symptom you notice and the flywheel may not recover.

It also suggests this condition arose from receiving irregular driving...which sort of calls into question the comment the previous owner a maintenance freak and nothing alarming has come from the previous owner. He may be a maintenance freak, but the clutch's behavior I assume arose during his ownership and driving of the car.

I repeat, everything a dealer tells you is intended to get you to pay as much for the car as possible and to buy the car as soon as possible.

Blowing off some abnormal clutch judder as flat spots on the flywheel (the whole flywheel's active surface is flat, or should be) is just another variation of the attempt to get you to pay as much for the car as possible and to buy the car as soon as possible.

Will the independent Porsche dealer stand behind its claim and give you a warranty on the clutch/flywheel that with regular driving the operation of the clutch will improve and if it doesn't replace the clutch/flywheel?

Not saying the car's not worth owning. Not saying the symptoms you've encountered won't improve with use. Sometimes a clutch's action does improve but most often the condition just worsens.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 05-18-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Changed "owing" to "owning".
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 PM
unterbergamotten3
Advanced

You can you ask the seller to warranty the clutch for x mls.
If they dont want to, one more indicator for you. You could also ask for them to take care of the issue as a condition of sale.
Money is tight these days and you have some to spend.. and they want the purchase. Enjoy your leverage.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:58 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't a flywheel SUPPOSED to be FLAT???

That dealer will NOT pay to replace the clutch when (suprise, suprise) there is not improvement after 5k miles of 'proper breakin'.

Assume you need a new clutch, flywheel and pressure plate- and plan your purchase price accordingly.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
parsonii
Racer

"car chatters in first and reverse" and a ppi said that "proper driving will smooth it out". ummmmmmm ya. don't buy the car till the seller fixes it. there are some really great cars out there and i certainly wouldn't buy it because it's a ruf 550. have you seen the dyno on that ruf car?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Kerrage
Instructor

Hey 996 carrera. I am from Calgary but yes I am buying it from Ferrari. Any insite on that clucth would be great.

Whats up with the dyno parsonii?

I appreciate everything guys. I am flying out this weekend to testdrive....and see what that clucth is actually all about. I had it inspected by a independent Porsche and they said chatter can be ok but NO slippage so will see....I also contaced Hans RAC Center (former RUF dealer) in dallas Tx and they said chatter can sometimes occur due to the High hp and the specific clutch...but I still agree with you guys if I was buying it brand new for over 200K I would not stand for a chattery clutch!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 AM
parsonii
Racer

about the dyno --- there are a lot of claims that tuners make about the putative increase in horsepower. my point is don't take anyone's word for it, even ruf's. it's worth noting that ruf's tunning packages don't hold the same sway in the 996tt world as they do in the 993tt world.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Does RAC know this car? Ruf keeps a record of all the VINs, you should be able to get a lot of info on the car. Ruf is a manufacturer, their stated HP is spot on.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Yes spoke with RAC...They new the car very well....The seller actually had a lot of history too.....I BOUGHT IT!!!! this weekend...Everything seemed solid...chatter turned out to be quite minor...Car is super fun super fast....My first Porsche....thanks for all your input guys!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Yes spoke with RAC...They new the car very well....The seller actually had a lot of history too.....I BOUGHT IT!!!! this weekend...Everything seemed solid...chatter turned out to be quite minor...Car is super fun super fast....My first Porsche....thanks for all your input guys!!!
Ain't nothing like seeing the car in person and driving the car.

Congrats.

Now about them pics...

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Buying 2002 RUF R Turbo