Sponsored by:

Bad misfire on 02 turbo for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad misfire on 02 turbo for a newbie

I am new to the Porshe world - 2 weeks, and my 02 turbo developed a bad misfire under 80%+ acceleration provoking the CES light. I have reviewed this forum for many hours and found many possible ideas for the cause.
The dealership, Leith, in Raleigh wants to start with the plugs and coils. This seems like a costly way to throw parts at it to diagnose.

Any ideas of qualified technicians who would diagnose methods other than costly parts replacements?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be:

1- spark plugs
2- ignition coils
3- MAF sensor
4- boost leak
5- other items that I'm not aware of

How many miiles and when were the spark plugs changed? If it's been over 30k miles since the last spark plug change, then I would start there. Have them inspect the ignition coils for cracks and if there are any, then replace them.

///Michael
Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Letme welcome to Rennlist and your new car..

You are getting the CEL telling us that you are getting a misfire.. Post the CODES and the Porsche service diagnostic sheet will "make" suggestions..

Buying a "used" 996TT will require monies spent. I can tell you that IF you are feeling a shutter above 4000RPM's or a distinct miss. The odd are 90% your plugs AND coil packs PLEASE REPLACE all your coil pack with the new 997TT units. PLEASE hand carry BOSCH FR6 LDC plug into your repair shop. The dealer will only use BERU.. Do NOT install the Beru's.. Install the Bosch..

I would also replace the MAF and air filter (replace with the stock paper/fiber filter)..

Goodluck..
Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

had the same issue as you describe and replaced all plugs + coils and all issues went away, dont go to a dealer, find an indy and buy the parts yourself online, thats the cheapest way. If you feel comfortable you could replace everything yourself in your garage and save big $$
Old 03-03-2010, 03:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Gus.....being from the area and know Leith very well I can tell you they don't just throw parts at the problem. What makes you not trust them?

You said you just got your Turbo correct?
Where did you get it form?
Did it not indicate these conditions prior to purchase?
Do you have a full history on the car?
How many miles?
When was the last time plugs and/or coils were replaced?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Letmebegus
Advanced

It initially pulled a code, which I don't recall the exact wording but variable misfires and a bank 1 problem with 14% rich fuel on bank 1. I initially searched the forums for information regarding that wording and came up with vario cam problems and tappet valve/tappet valve bracket problems. Foolishly, after posting, I searched "misfire" and found several posts stating the exact problem I am having with plugs/coils being the fix. I really have no reason not to trust Leith, actually I am very happy with the way Wayne has been communicating with me. I have just had poor experiences with other dealership service depts. on my M5.
Just got the turbo 2 weeks ago from a dealer in Charlotte. I do not have a full history of the car, but quite a bit of the history. I am waiting to see if the previous owner ever changed the plugs. Currently 49k miles. The dealer was, in hindsight, reluctant to let me properly drive the car, which did not allow the car to reveal some of its issues until after trailering it home. - Live and learn right?
I really appreciate the insight gained from this forum.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Letmebegus
I really appreciate the insight gained from this forum.
Always listen to Kevin ...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

First off, sorry that the dealer was so "decpetive" in their test drive. That's crap. Anyway, live and learn like you said. Second, POST A PICTURE OF YOUR CAR!!!!! We love pics

Go through the history and check for plugs and/or coils. It's almost due for it's major service (60K) which includes this. If it was not done at the 30K major service (or at all or very early on) then this could very well be the culprit.

Where abouts are you at? I'm in Cary. There is a large group of us that meet up on Saturday mornings for coffee and a drive EVERY saturday.....you are very welcome to come join us....we meet up starting at about 7am when the coffee shop opens and head out about 10 for the drive. It's not a PCA thing but just a group of Porsche guys that met here on Rennlist.

Check out the 996 fourm thread LINK to check it out. It's over 2K posts so you can see how popular it is!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

LETMEBEGUS,
I got a 2004 TT i with 30K after about 2k miles I had same symptoms. Coil pack #2 and plugs were the problem. Mechanic put in beru plugs like the ones in there but then there was a bumping and uneven RPMs only at idle. My inde replaced with Bosch 6's and all is good, . he said he never saw anything like that. I cleaned maf sensor as suggested by fellow member with electral cleaner just to make sure. Porsche dealer where i bought it showed 30k service was done as well. Bottom line these cars cost money to maintain and run, but nothing else comes close.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Thanks to all for your input, old silver is in the shop getting the work done. Also, there were some shifting issues, so they are going to look into the synchros, fortunately that may be under warranty. So... no pics for a while, and I can't wait to get it back and continue the enjoyment process.

I will let you all (y'all) know how things turn out.

LVDell, thanks for the invite If I see you there, it will not be in the Porsche, maybe something Japanese, or if the weather supports, maybe Italian?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

No worries. A Porsche is not a requirement to come to coffee. Check out the thread and you will see we frequently drive our "other" cars to meet up. The place is called Wake Zone in Apex. LINK

Hope to see you out there one day! This weekend several of us are heading to CMP for a DE driving event.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

hey if your having problems shifting or popping out of second like i did check out Erik from Gbox posts on a new detent that is an easy fix
Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Letmebegus
Advanced

Yeah, I looked at that, and may do that as prev maint. but the service shop sees that the damage is done and it needs synchros. 34 hrs lab + 2g's in parts.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 AM
brooklynkid
Instructor

yeah my mech. said if the actual gear is torn up its gonna be expensive

Quick Reply: Bad misfire on 02 turbo for a newbie