Sponsored by:

New to Rennlist...looking to buy first 996 Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Hammer20001
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Rennlist...looking to buy first 996 Porsche

Hello all...I'm looking to purchase my first Porsche and a fellow member advised to join this community because of all the great info in the forums...so I signed up...I've seen an ad for a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo with 45,000 miles listed at $50,000...the car appears to be in good condition based upon the pictures I've seen. I would look to perform a pre-purchase inspection before making any decisions. What should I expect to pay for this vehicle? What other information can I provide to the forum that would help you help me..

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by Hammer20001; 03-07-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: To update title
Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer20001
Hello all...I'm looking to purchase my first Porsche and a fellow member advised to join this community because of all the great info in the forums...so I signed up...I've seen an ad for a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo with 45,000 miles listed at $50,000...the car appears to be in good condition based upon the pictures I've seen. I would look to perform a pre-purchase inspection before making any decisions. What should I expect to pay for this vehicle? What other information can I provide to the forum that would help you help me..

Thanks in advance..
Have not kept up on 996 Turbo prices but that $50K price sounds a mite high. Do your market research, though cause I've not kept current on 996 Turbo prices.

Used car pics always make a car look good, that's their job. Have you seen car in person? If you can view car in mid-day sun and of course give car a thorough going over.

IIRC there's sticky thread at top of the section that provides a good checklist for use when shopping/checking out a used 996 Turbo.

PPI by an expert on these cars a must. PPI should be able to pull overrev counts and interpret them for you. Post counts here and knowledgeable people will advise you.

You're job is to inspect the car, learn as much about it as possible, to find any reason to reject the car.

A PPI is something you should only do once, and this before you buy the car being PPI'd.

Sometimes posting more details about the car, the location, the ad, etc, can turn up someone who knows this car, has looked at it before and can shed some light on the car's condition. Or someone can go by and look at the car for you. In no way should any viewing by this "someone" mean you can skip a PPI only that this viewing can possibly turn up a reason you should reject the car and keep looking.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome

There is a recent thread discussing another X50 optioned car, 19K miles, $52,900:
http://sloancars.com/948/2002-996-tw...k-18776-miles/

Once you get comfortable with the search function, you will find all sorts of new owner/valuation threads.
It is definitely a buyer's market and the 996 Turbos have depreciated substantially.

As far as reliability, Rennlist member 'T2' holds the title AFAIK:
250K miles on his 03 X50 996 Turbo as a New England daily driver and IIRC it is still on the original clutch.
There is little question that the 996 Turbo is the world's most reliable daily driver capable supercar.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At the top of the forum is this 'sticky' thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...questions.html

In the first post, you will find 2 links to excellent discussions on PPI and first time buyers.

Recommended reading.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

I have kept up on 996 Turbo prices. The $50,000 for a 45,000 mile '03 may be a bit high, but not way high. Some cars are worth much more than "high blue." When you're staring at full documentation for every oil change and maintenance procedure the car has ever had, you've driven the beast and it both feels and looks positively new, and the Car Fax is clean as a whislte, you spend the money for the PPI and then decide what the car is worth TO YOU.

Here's my reference: 2005 Turbo S coupe, blue "retail" still over $84,000 (25,000 miles on odometer).

This economy also will pass. A good time to buy, not such a good time to sell.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

I just picked up my 2004 996 TT in Aug. the price of the one you mention may be a bit high, but i agreee with designerjeans get all the info and compare cars. I would also consider a reputable extended warranty. I used national warranty out of bend oregon the dealership sold it to me and they just paid a big chunk of the tranny repair.

Quick Reply: New to Rennlist...looking to buy first 996 Porsche