Sponsored by:

Bad Experience with Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, you conveniently ignored the point that the oil was approved for use at one time and yet is no longer. Does this mean the years it was approved for use that this was a mistake on Porsche's part and it was recommending the wrong oil be used? If so how can one believe this time Porsche got it right?
Although this is pertains to Ferrari, it may provide some insight as to why Porsche updates their oil weight specifications/recommendations. This is a quote from AE Haas' oil "book":

Let us go back to the Ferrari manual. My older 550 Maranello only specified 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra as the oil to use in all conditions. This car was designed for racing. As it turns out Ferrari now recognizes that not every owner races their cars. The newer 575 manual now states to use 0W-40 for around town situations even though Shell does not make this oil in the Helix Ultra formulation at this writing. They also recommend the 5W-40 by Shell if you insist on the Shell product. It is also the recommended oil for most racing conditions.
Also consider that the M96 in your Boxster is different than the M96 in your Turbo, and as such, may have different oil requirements or requirement range.

From what I gather from Doug Hillary's posts, Porsche works closely w/ ExxonMobil to select the proper oil weight. Could it be that EM changed the formulation of M1 15W-50 that it no longer satisfied Porsche's requirements? Could it be that now that the NA M96 has aged, Porsche finally has a data sample large enough to narrow down oil weight requirements?

///Michael
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
Carmelo,

sorry to hear you went thru this stuff..
but i bought many cars from Carlsen and they have taken care
of all my issues, if not the cpo did...
I bought cars from private owners as well and had them cpo'd it, they found problems with some cars
and took care of them prior to selling to me..
that's the reason why i forwarded you that listing...
also they are modification friendly service dept..if that helps
well i do hope all your problems are solved...
Alex911s,

Unfortunatley, these things happen. It was not a pleasant experience but it could have been worst. As you say above, the CPO justifies the purchase. It all worked out. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have this great car. I am absolutely happy with it. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I missed something after going thru this entire thread....but did Carlsen actually refuse to rectify any of the problems you cited? Usually on a CPO, they'll run the car on the PIWIS or PST2 and get a readout of the various functions like door locks, alarms, lights,any history of codes, Type I and II over revs etc. If the hydraulic pistons on the rear spoiler were faulty, it should have showed.

I guess I am an advocate for trying to keep from polarizing my relationship with the dealership and doing my best to stay on an even keel in order to get things fixed. Sort of like Carmelo said in his previous post. I'm not saying you didn't...it's just that I didn't see any reference to their out-and-out refusal to offer some PR through customer relations or the service manager. Especially these days with car sales sagging....most of the dealerships are making a good part of their "rent" through the service departments, so they try to entice folks to bring their cars in....and in your case, a happy customer would be a repeat customer. It would pay them to suck up a bit.

Did I miss that part?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:37 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Maybe I missed something after going thru this entire thread....but did Carlsen actually refuse to rectify any of the problems you cited? Usually on a CPO, they'll run the car on the PIWIS or PST2 and get a readout of the various functions like door locks, alarms, lights,any history of codes, Type I and II over revs etc. If the hydraulic pistons on the rear spoiler were faulty, it should have showed.

I guess I am an advocate for trying to keep from polarizing my relationship with the dealership and doing my best to stay on an even keel in order to get things fixed. Sort of like Carmelo said in his previous post. I'm not saying you didn't...it's just that I didn't see any reference to their out-and-out refusal to offer some PR through customer relations or the service manager. Especially these days with car sales sagging....most of the dealerships are making a good part of their "rent" through the service departments, so they try to entice folks to bring their cars in....and in your case, a happy customer would be a repeat customer. It would pay them to suck up a bit.

Did I miss that part?
Chuck,

It never got to the point that I asked them to fix the spolier. Since they ( I should say the Salesman) was poor to respond to my initial requests (owners manual and replacing porsche emblem) and since they are located in Redwood City (an hour away), I went to my local Porsche dealer. I had a CPO vehicle, therefore, why not go local. I did call the General Manager and expressed my complaints and he actually go the issue resolved. My complaint is why didn't Carlsen find the spoiler issue during the PPI? With the initial problems and the spoiler issue, that was enough justification for me to stay away.

Carmelo
Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 PM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R5 Turbo 2
You are a spaz and should have bought a Toyota.
Yah, my wife's 2007 RAV4 sure smokes my 996TT in the corners and the straights...LOL

Quick Reply: Bad Experience with Dealer