Sponsored by:

Bad Experience with Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad Experience with Dealer

So I completed the purchase of my first 996 TT from Carlsen Porsche on 10/20/09. Collected all the documentation except owner's manuals. The 996 TT is a 2003. OK, no sweat. Well, it been a month and no owners manual. In addition, during the first week of ownership, I am cleaning the vehicle and off comes the porsche crest on the front. Yes, apparantly, the painters (Had the front and back resprayed to remove chips) wedge off with some object the crest and broke it off. Now I am pissed. Called them and mentioned it. OK, just send me the owner's manual and new porsche crest and I am OK. A month later nothing. This sucks. Called the GM and complained.

Second issue. Had a PPI done by them. After driving it twice, spoiler error pops up on the onboard computer. After calming down, looked it up on the forum and found that this is a common problem. Called Walnut Creek Porsche and they recommended to replace it. And as of today it has been replaced (luckily CPO). In addition, they mentioned "wetness" on the rear main seal (not clear on this as I am new to the 996TT). Not a good sign at all. Why didn't Carlsen Porsche find these things during PPI?

Carlsen Porsche - F
Walnut Creek Porsche - A.

Comments? Think I should complained to Porsche!!

Carmelo
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your dealer woes, but I do hope you enjoy your Turbo!

If you bought it from Carlsen and had them also do the PPI, then chances are they aren't going to be thorough as they want you to buy it.

In my observation, a sales guy is a sales guy whether it's a Kia dealer, Ferrari dealer, software company, etc. At the end of the day, they're trying to make a living (honestly or unscrupulously). Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

///Michael
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Michael,

Yeah, I hear yah. Funny thing is I am a VP of Sales and Part-Owner of a company. Customer is always right. Thank God for the CPO!

Carmelo.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say that the customer is always right because unethical business practices sometimes go both ways. However, we are taught to empathize with customers... When our customers call us with a problem, they are usually upset and sometimes make unreasonable demands. Sometimes they simply want to vent and just want us to listen.

It is a shame that people are more interested in a quick buck vs creating and developing long lasting relationships these days.

Anyway, I hope this experience hasn't ruined your first Turbo experience. Owners manuals and a hood emblem are relatively cheap vs the potential lost future revenue that Carlsen has incurred over them.

///Michael
Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by carmelo
So I completed the purchase of my first 996 TT from Carlsen Porsche on 10/20/09. Collected all the documentation except owner's manuals. The 996 TT is a 2003. OK, no sweat. Well, it been a month and no owners manual. In addition, during the first week of ownership, I am cleaning the vehicle and off comes the porsche crest on the front. Yes, apparantly, the painters (Had the front and back resprayed to remove chips) wedge off with some object the crest and broke it off. Now I am pissed. Called them and mentioned it. OK, just send me the owner's manual and new porsche crest and I am OK. A month later nothing. This sucks. Called the GM and complained.

Second issue. Had a PPI done by them. After driving it twice, spoiler error pops up on the onboard computer. After calming down, looked it up on the forum and found that this is a common problem. Called Walnut Creek Porsche and they recommended to replace it. And as of today it has been replaced (luckily CPO). In addition, they mentioned "wetness" on the rear main seal (not clear on this as I am new to the 996TT). Not a good sign at all. Why didn't Carlsen Porsche find these things during PPI?

Carlsen Porsche - F

Carmelo
Remind the GM one of the primary reasons you bought the car was the presence of a CPO warranty that Porsche and this dealer has advertised heavily as being a sure indication a vehicle so classified is in tip top shape.

If you find too many more things that suggest otherwise and if the dealer balks at taking prompt care of them you'll consider filing a consumer fraud complaint against the dealer.

Likely what is done is the tech walks around the car and if he counts 4 wheels present signs off the car as a CPO car.

CPO stands for certified probably ok.

I found mine missing a battery vent hose. One was taped in place and wasn't even connected to the battery. Suggest you remove the cowl covers off the car and look at the battery. Check out for any trash in the engine air filter housing and in general just do your own CPO inspection.

BTW, I had to have my car aligned -- it was off -- and had an oil/filter change done since the last one done last October. Had the brakes fluid flushed and bleed too cause I called around and found bay area dealer that did this back in 2005 so the car was due for this service.

Oh and the brake rotor holes were filled with stuff so I washed the brake rotors real good and cleaned the holes. Be sure to drive the car and use the brakes enough to dry the brake hardware thoroughly afterwards.

The Turbo front trunk lid has holes in it for the badge. Be sure you get the right badge and know how to install it properly.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 AM
R5 Turbo 2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael,

Yeah, I hear yah. Funny thing is I am a VP of Sales and Part-Owner of a company. Customer is always right. Thank God for the CPO!

Carmelo.
You are a spaz and should have bought a Toyota.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I doubt that the rear main seal needs to be replaced.

If you have oil or wetness there I would bet that it's the SLAVE leaking or the oil water heat exchanger leaking before it's the RMS.. Regardless the CPO should take care of it.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R5 Turbo 2
Based on this and some of your other posts, you're an e-tard d|ckwad
Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by R5 Turbo 2
Wow, what brought that on? They offer decaf, ya know.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
CPO stands for certified probably ok.
I love it! How true is that!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Carlsen Porsche - F

Carmelo
My experience with Turbos not as extensive as with my Boxster but IIRC the Turbo uses a different rear main seal.

Also, the Turbo engine is a different engine than the engine used in the other 996/986 models (save the GT2/GT3) and has a much stiffer block and crank. It is believed by some that crank whip in the regular water cooled 911 and 986 engines accounts for the RMS leaks.

Drive the car a while. If you want, get car up on Rhino ramps and clean the underside of the engine, around the two oil drains -- engine block drain and oil tank drain -- and well just anywhere there's signs of any oil seepage.

I use Gunk in aerosol cans and let it soak then rinse with water from hose. You don't have to go crazy just clean the underside of the engine. Also, I learned from changing the oil in my Turbo the oil drain flow is so strong oil can splash aorund and some can get where it could look like an oil seep.

Anyhow, after cleaning engine underside drive the car and keep an eye on things. The warranty has some time to run so it is not like you have to have this taken care of right away.

Could be with some usage the engine seals becomes less prone to seepage. These engines need to be run and chances the car has sat unused for some time.

How fresh is the oil? As I mentioned I had the oil changed in my 03 Turbo right after I bought the car, at 10K miles. (I bought it with around 9500 miles.)

Went with Mobil 0w-40. The next change at around 12500 (done just before heading out on long road trip) I used Mobil 1 0w-40 then after I got back from trip (nearly 4K miles later) I again changed the oil using Mobil 1 10w-40 "high mileage" oil. The most recent oil change done just short of 20K miles I had the dealer tech fill the engine with Mobil 1 5w-50 oil (that's "5w") and tech told me that with the Turbo I really should be running 15w-50 oil ( that's "15w"). Said in the bay area with its mild winter temperatures this oil ok to use and does offer better protection under high temperature high load conditions.

I think the next oil change -- probably Dec. early after I get back from road trip next week -- will have me using Mobil 15w-50 in the both the Turbo and the Boxster. Mobil 1 15w-50 easier to find -- Mobil 1 5w-50 oil I had to order on line -- and sometimes is even offered on sale at discount.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Macster, NO WAY should you be filling your 996TT with 15W50. That is just wrong. It is NOT in the owners manual and never provided in any info given from Porsche.

In the US with mild climates 5W50 is the highest weight that we should use. BTW, there is NO Porsche approved 15W50 oil for our cars.. Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W50 are the only Porsche oils approved.

BTW, with the intermediate shaft and flat tappet vario cam issues that these engines have see, I would strongly recommend that people change there oil no later than 7500 miles. With 5000 miles being the target point. I get emails and PM's every week from folks with engine problems. One person has a oil filter packed with metal>his oil change intervals were/are 15K..
Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
It is a shame that people are more interested in a quick buck vs creating and developing long lasting relationships these days.

Anyway, I hope this experience hasn't ruined your first Turbo experience. Owners manuals and a hood emblem are relatively cheap vs the potential lost future revenue that Carlsen has incurred over them.

///Michael
Michael,

Your phrase "It is a shame that people are more interested in a quick buck vs creating and developing long lasting relationships these days." is dead on.

It hasn't. I love the car. Its just principle.

Carmelo.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Bos,

Thanks for backing me up. Ignorance.

Carmelo
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Kevin,

Just got back from Los Angeles and picked up the car. Dealer noted " minor seepage / residue at bell housing area (not leaking to drip at this time). Cleaned area to monitor with next visit". We'll see.

Carmelo

Quick Reply: Bad Experience with Dealer