Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UMW Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's good to know becasue the general consensus is that although this does give you a better spool up, it is beset with issues that cause you to stall out unless you reve the rpm's up before taking off. So you're saying you compensate for the stalling issue by programming a solution into your tune?

If someone had already purchased your tune, then a year later bought your LWFW kit...would you have to retune their ECU?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Chuck, Kevin gave you the reasons to go for the LWFW. I have his programming so no stalling issue. Let's see it took about 1 drive to get used to it....I have had much more difficult-to-drive clutch packages in the past. And yes I did replace the DM when I had the clutch upgraded. The chatter, which is only audible to me when at idle and the clutch engaged (not pushed in) does not bother me. I often have the stereo louder than the chatter.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Boss 351: Like Adam, I too have the UMW tune, DV's, Kevin's wastegate kit....and the stock clutch. I have had no problems with the clutch except for one time when I slipped it a bit in 6th and hit the gas and the rpm's took off like a banshee....had to let off the gas to let the clutch engage....then smelled clutch for a few miles. That was operator error and it's never happened again. I imagine I glazed the plates a bit, but I've had no problems with it properly engaging in lower gears even with some quick off-the-line starts. I have 32K miles on it and eventually I imagine I'll be looking for a clutch...but treat it right and it should last a reasonably long time. How long is reasonably long? Dunno...but I most likely won't be going for the lightweight version becasue the actual difference in spool-up time isn't that critical for me.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

I precision grind the dual mass flywheels and can offer new dual mass units. The Sach's Motorsports pressure plate will bolt right up and we can use the GT2 clutch disk.. It's either or..
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Geez Kevin....I can't seem to get away from you can I? You're just chock full of solutions....
Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 PM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I precision grind the dual mass flywheels and can offer new dual mass units. The Sach's Motorsports pressure plate will bolt right up and we can use the GT2 clutch disk.. It's either or..
Kevin, can you compare one vs other (clutch setups that you offer) for us not familiar with them? For someone that tracks quite a bit but still uses the car as a daily driver which is the most liveable? Are both setups noisy?

Also, does the tune/wastegate create more heat that would need to be dealt with in a track scenario or would an X50 car be capable to keep things cool?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It is foolish to lash 28lbs of flywheel to a crankshaft and put it thru the rigger of a road course. Look at what Porsche has done in history and present with there RS car starting with the 964.. I look at the performance end and impact on your crankshaft and rear main/thrust bearing.

Divide the subject matter into what is best for your engine at the track vs what is "better" for your person taste. If the noise is a issue, stick with the dual mass setup. The new 997GT3RS comes with the lightweight setup. Hell open up the up and coming November Excellence article page 142 has my good friend Gunter Mandl telling Ian Kuah "If you ditch the heavy dual-mass flywheel for the single-mass RS type, the motor has less inertia and the turbochargers will spool up even faster"

A re-ground dual flywheel fitted with the Motorsports pressure plate will offer the same results but with a more sluggish RPM response. The clutch will be as quiet as your stock unit.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

boss, a free flowing exhaust with free flowing cats will reduce the heat. Adding the wastegate kit will actually funnel more exhaust energy to the turbine wheel. Adding a more efficient exhaust such as a Europipe will reduce the exhaust back pressure. The result is less heat build up from your exhaust valves to tailpipe.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 AM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answers. I think I am beginning to get it..

Quick Reply: UMW Tune