Sponsored by:

UMW Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Gemba
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMW Tune

WoW..even on pretty wet roads today with new PZeros.. above 1.1 Bar The process is EASY and fast. Crisper throttle and more power..
otherwise bone stock 03 X5- w Tip.
I gave myself a year with the car as is..the mod slope I think will get steeper now.....next step is LOUD !
thx Kevin
Old 10-05-2008, 02:51 PM
k4site
Instructor

I have a 02 x50 with tip that has a turbo lag until 3000 rpm, does the tune help in this department?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
MGS996
Racer

Originally Posted by k4site
I have a 02 x50 with tip that has a turbo lag until 3000 rpm, does the tune help in this department?
I guess Kevin's hyflow wheel can address that.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Gemba
Intermediate

nope....but the midrange is better...dry roads today..car is much faster than me. maybe UMW wastegate kit next...

Originally Posted by k4site
Old 10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

K4 with the K24's and the testing that I have done. We have to mechanically get the K24's to start spooling quickly. A good free flow exhaust will help and my wastegate kit will drastically improve the lower RPM and midrange. Having programming to optimize these conditions is also important.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
mmmmmm
Intermediate

What does a UMW tuned X50 run in the quater mile? ET and trap speed.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmmmmm
What does a UMW tuned X50 run in the quater mile? ET and trap speed.
Depends on alot of other stuff, and driver.

Idle curiosity or is that the metric by which you would make a purchase decision?

Personally, if I was trying to compare I'd use dyno runs with AFRs; recommendations on driveability (and maybe drive someone else's) and reputation.

A

PS Wastegates on the X50 are a must.... I have a UMW tune, EP2 Loud and wastegate kit on my X50... and would unequivocally recommend this as probably the best bang for what you can get out of the K24 platform.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll be posting a little X50/GT2 special with wastegates shortly....
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
boss351
Instructor

Originally Posted by adam_
PS Wastegates on the X50 are a must.... I have a UMW tune, EP2 Loud and wastegate kit on my X50... and would unequivocally recommend this as probably the best bang for what you can get out of the K24 platform.
Has anyone made this combo (X50+wastegates+UMW tune) without a clutch upgrade to handle the extra torque?

Adam, (guessing that you upgraded), what clutch did you go with and how do you like it?

Originally Posted by kevin
I'll be posting a little X50/GT2 special with wastegates shortly....
Sounds great!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boss351
Has anyone made this combo (X50+wastegates+UMW tune) without a clutch upgrade to handle the extra torque?

Adam, (guessing that you upgraded), what clutch did you go with and how do you like it?
I have the stock clutch.

It seems that there is this notion floating about that 'the UMW tune is TOO powerful and needs a clutch'... I disagree.

Any clutch can be fried. A stock clutch is just easier to fry. And as you increase the HP the stock clutch is subjected to more potential abuse.

I have not detected the stock clutch breaking free ONCE FULLY ENGAGED under full acceleration... therefore I conclude it is still acceptable.

Any good driver can avoid burning up a clutch IF THAT IS AN OBJECTIVE. I do agree that you will not get maximum dynamic performance (ie being able to beat the car in straight line acceleration) without an upgrade.

I think the likely scenario for me will be as follows:

1. One day highly aggressive acceleration with a momentary lapse in 'right/left' coordination will cause slip at high acceleration, and glaze the disc.

2. As a result, I will then begin to feel break free under hard acceleration.

3. Call Kevin for new clutch kit.

A

PS Many years of driving a POS E39M5 clutch can 'train' you in how to be nice to a clutch...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Adam...to some extent I agree with you. I thought the stock TT clutch was excellent (compared to others I have owned)...I just took advantage of the labor when I had all the stuff installed. Been very happy that I did as the LWFW is awesome!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Stats: I have a friend who just bought Kevin's LWFW and I was wondering how essential that might be for someone who doesn't track the car....does the LWFW rattle at idle...and does it have a tendency to stall out till you get used to the fact it doesn't have the weight to keep it going that the heavier flywheel does? Do you track or attend DE days that would give you any advantage, or is this something ou did just kuz you were changing out a clutch? For a strictly street application, what's your take on going to the LWFW? Mind you, this isn't any indictment....just an inquiry into the relative advantage...if any...to be gained by going to one versus the other for street use....
Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The engine will REV alot quicker with the lightweight. Throttle response will be improved.. Turbochargers will spool quicker>building boost faster will yield more torque sooner. The clutch disk sprung disk/springs will rattle.

The clutch will engage quicker (in time) due to the added clamp force and less mass, however most master it in a day or so..
Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

what about stalling? i heard this is a problem many have after the intall..if so can get real annoying in daily traffic driving situations.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We don't have stalling issues with my kit with Ultimate Motorwerks tuning.

Quick Reply: UMW Tune