Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Protomotive Air Intake Install

If anyone is considering doing this yourself, I just completed the install and took a lot of pictures along the way. The Greddy EBC and upgraded MAF were previously installed, so installation of these two items are not documented in the pictures, although the MAF is simply connecting 4 wires... Todd quoted about 6-8 hours for this job, but he has jigs for everything (and a lot of experience with this kit) vs. the "measure and test fit everything first" method that I used. I have to tell you, I thought this project would be pretty quick and I could not have been more wrong. I have about 60 hours into it. I still have to upload the proper software, then fine tune it via email, but I fired it up today and it started immediately and sounded good. This was a great learning experience, seeing how the OEM air intake, DV's, F-hose, etc. work and eliminating a lot of it and relocating/re-directing other parts....here are pictures of the completed engine bay and IC/air intake/DV's.

Two pages of detailed pictures can be seen here:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/...System-Install

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 02-23-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that sure unclutters the engine compartment. If you made a trap door in the inner fender well plastic, could you access the filter element to service it?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John,

Looks awesome!!!!

Got a couple of questions:

Would that design hinder air flow to the IC's and make them less efficient?

Would the filters get dirtier faster being down low to the ground or will that not matter?

Either way it looks really cool
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

john, great work! what is the benefit of this intake? looks like alot of work just to relocate intake. is the intake track longer than stock?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Porschedude, the air filter(s) - one per side are serviced by removing the bumper cover. This is a very easy 5 minute job.

The air filters hug the inside wall and the IC's are pretty wide open. It may possibly hinder flow a bit, but the Protomotive cars have proven to go pretty good with this system. I suspect the filters may get dirtier a little easier, but I am not sure. Time will tell...

Oak, Thanks - this was a lot of fun!

No the intake track is much shorter, about 18" per side from filter to turbo. Also, each turbo has it's own filter with a 75MM feed. The benefit is more air being readily available due to the short run combined with larger piping and increased filter surface area per turbo. I previously had the V-Flow (one of your favorite mods, Oak) with the Protomotive MAF. The Protomotive MAF was never happy with the V-flow and even after a lot of work shaping the "venturi" to improve the idle - I still had hunting at most stops for 3-10 seconds before settling down. This bothered me and Todd told me that he doesn't use the V-Flow (which I knew and tried it anyhow) and with his intake and MAF located just before the throttle body...there are no idle problems. That is what spurred me to do this conversion. The side benefit is Todd has dyno tuned both intakes on this package and has documented better throttle response, and more mid to top end power with this intake vs. the V-Flow, so it should improve performance a bit. Another advantage for my application is that I had the 75mm throttle body/plenum, but all the plumbing leading up to it was 68mm or smaller. This intake removes all the restrictions and runs a consistent 75mm all the way from the turbo, through the intercoolers and up to the throttle body. It will be interesting to see what difference it makes in performance. I have 1/4 mile runs of 11.01 to 11.2 with traps of 131-133MPH on stock tires with the previous set-up. I am hoping to gain the 2/100 neccessary to break into the 10's on street tires. If I can do this or increase the trap to 134-135, I will consider the intake upgrade a performance success. If it cures the hunting idle, which I fully expect it to - it will be a success, as well.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice.

I note that the IC brackets need to be trimmed... it seems like a slightly altered tubing geometry could 'tip' the cone filters up at the end and allow the filter to fit and not require cutting of this bracket... any thoughts? Also a flange on the tube would allow you to bolt the flange to the bracket instead of welding it on. (Did that require welding SS tubing to steel IC brackets?)

Thanks for the very detailed pics. I did note some dirt on the floor in one of those pictures...

Adam
Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John, WOW!!! your continued car improvements are amazing!!! Good luck!!!!

tom
Old 02-18-2008, 01:30 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Adam,

I did consider your ideas and it would be possible. I ended up going the Protomotive recommended route because it keeps the tubing all the way to the inside (the hole saw cut is deep into the upper inside corner of the IC bracket), which is necessary for proper wheel clearance. Also, the welded SS piece becomes the major mounting point for the intake pipes, as it firmly secures their position. For this reason the weld is a better and stronger solution. You also want to get the filter all the way to the inside, so that it does not obstruct the air flow to the intercooler...Adam, my garage has been used mostly for detailing until this winter :-)

Tom, thanks for the well wishes and best of luck to you, too - with your new upgrades...
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John: that looked like a lot of work. I can understand now why the 60 hours. I think you also did good in reinstalling the shroud around the ic to provide direct air flow to them. hopefully the results are worth your time and money...was the kit a complete kit or did you have to buy additional items? were your intercoolers already up-grades or were they the stock units?

good job and keep us posted on the results.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:16 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Is that stock intercooler? Or an x50?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Manny,

Yea - it was more than I expected, but I truly enjoyed every bit of it.

This was a complete kit with all parts and accessories included - just add labor.

Shant, Those are the Blown 6 intercoolers and were previously upgraded, although I did have to re-fab the end tank OEM style connectors to the larger Protomotive straight pipe.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally Posted by John D II
Manny,

Yea - it was more than I expected, but I truly enjoyed every bit of it.

This was a complete kit with all parts and accessories included - just add labor.

Shant, Those are the Blown 6 intercoolers and were previously upgraded, although I did have to re-fab the end tank OEM style connectors to the larger Protomotive straight pipe.
Thanks, i know you said it was previosly upgraded but do you happen to know how much they cost? I remember when i upgraded the IC on my VW TDI it made a difference.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Shant, I think they were about $1,700 when I bought them. Here is a link to the web page - they are $1,950 delivered now...

http://www.blownsixdesign.com/996.htm
Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent work!
Mine has a roof scoop and uses that as an intake for a FVD air intake system.
I love the setup & IC's, just what I want to do next.
Would like to know how much the kit is from promotive...

Cheers
Miles
Old 02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Miles,

Here is the contact info for Protomotive - http://www.protomotive.com/contact.html

Quick Reply: Protomotive Air Intake Install