Change of tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Change of tune

Well,
After years of not modding, awaiting the end of warranty, I have now reached a transition point. Spoke to Stepehn at IA and anticipate delivery of a Fabspeed Gen 3 muffler, GT3 rear anti roll bar and bushings, springs (expecting Eibachs), and then a reflash for the X50.
After 6 years and 45,000 miles, I am hoping to keep my car another 6. But, with the passage of time, some of the built in features of the car are saying "time for change".
My hope is to decrease understeer, and add throttle response in the lower half of of the rev range in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. I also hope not to make the exhaust noticably louder inside the car, as it makes conversation tough and will make my wife crazy. It will remain my daily driver for foul weather.
If anybody has a different feeling about the Fabspped Gen 3, please tell me now.
I'm hoping to put my car at the performance level of the current 997ttSC.
By the way, if anyone hasn't spoken to Stepehn (pronounced Steven), he is really engaging, articulate, approachable, knowledgeable, and candid. So, that is quite a change from the usual world of car enthusiast flakes.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Unfortunately, during the process, I think I'm consigned to the A6 for daily driving as the snow here is a bit much for the new CLK BS. AS
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

So you're going with one of the GIAC Stages?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Alexander PM me for a different twist and opinion.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
...add throttle response in the lower half of of the rev range in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears.
I'm glad Kevin posted, because after reading that you want better throttle response, UMW was the first thing I thought of.

I've had GIAC software for over four years, and although it provides much better power over stock, throttle response is not it's forte.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Dock,
Thanks for your interest. I'm kicking myself right now, because that is a simple question I can't answer at the moment.
I described my goals to Stephen, and accepted his recommendation without specifically phrasing the question in that manner. My car is an X50, and the reflash is specific to that, so I don't know what Stage that comprises, but will ask.
Because I am reluctant to change things like diverter valves due to concerns about errors on the install, my goals are modest. I was very clear that I have dedicated track cars, so I don't want to compromise drivability for raw power. This car will never see a drag strip, and only rarely sees the track. So even the muffler change required a deep breath on my part. I have other cars with over 550 hp, and sometimes that makes waiting at a stoplight an agonizing experience.
Was there a point to your query, or just curiosity? All input welcome. AS
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Because I am reluctant to change things like diverter valves due to concerns about errors on the install, my goals are modest...So even the muffler change required a deep breath on my part.
My advice is to not be concerned about changing the DVs or the exhaust...or adding a tune. I modified my Turbo when it was less than two years old, and have yet to have even a single mechanical issue with the car related to the modifications.

I asked about your GIAC decision because like you, I want better throttle response. The GIAC software is good on power, but did not offer much in the way of throttle response improvements.

I've decided to switch to UMW.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

AS - Check your PM...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
KPG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I've decided to switch to UMW.
Really? What path did you decide to take? Software only or hardware as well.... Look forward to your impressions
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KPG
Really? What path did you decide to take? Software only or hardware as well.... Look forward to your impressions
It's going to be 2B with upgraded intercoolers and the UMW airbox...probably in the Spring.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
It's going to be 2B with upgraded intercoolers and the UMW airbox...probably in the Spring.
Sounds great. Make sure you get the IC shroud modification done
Old 01-30-2008, 01:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

AS, the fabspeed gen 3 is a loud exhaust, good but loud. The quiet version that they make currently is based on the gen 3 cans with fenestrated tubing and more packing, as opposed to the prev quiet cans. I have the 'quiet' version gen 3 on my car now, it sounds great, more of a moderate exhaust, certainly not quiet. Get the 'quiet' version.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 AM
MGS996
Racer

Dock.....I am considering the same path...UMW 2'B', IC & UMW Airbox.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM
johnyg
Instructor

Dock,
You will be very happy with Kevin and UMW. I recently switched to the stage 2 zc turbos and tune as I already had the intercoolers. Throttle response is SOOOOOOO much better than it was before and total power is noticably better. My old setup was PSI stage 2 and it was spunky down low by nothing compared the the new turbos and tune. The stage 2b is a different turbo with higher upgrade paths available than me but this power level feels like it is close to as far as you can go without begining to break things. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my 2 cents, which is free for you today.
both guys are great and have a lot of info. i purchased
my exhaust from stephen (milteck) and have been very happy. the fab generation 3 was not out at the time.
i decided to go with kevin's flash because of ease of use/install. there is really no install to speak of. for GIAC you have to remove your ecu, realizing that this is very easy and great instructions are on stephen's site, i did not want to do it. the UMW flash plugs into the OBDII port and you have three different programs. the other key point is that the program can still be modified should you decide to go for more power. its like 3 seconds to switch from one to the other. this is very handy when i take my car to the dealer. i have had the program for 9 months and have had no problems, so no need to speak with kevin any more (although i am sure he is available).

suspension wise i went with KW V3 which i would highly recommend.

i never thought i would do all of this but i like you have decided to keep the car and wanted a few key mods done. (2002 X50)

good luck, great to have 2 great choices.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Kevin. I have no racing experience or dedicated race cars, but I feel like I do everytime I step into Kevin's flash program. Good luck Alexander, and keep us up to date.

Quick Reply: Change of tune