Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD USA is Proud to be a New Rennlist Board Sponsor - 996TT Flash Load Programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM
calturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
When you load our tuned software it does not advance the “counter” as seen on the dealer PWIS tester in the DME C.U. under vehicle data. This is also true when the file is flashed back to stock with our software as the number is also not advanced.

However, a warranty claim submitted to Porsche for an engine or emissions fault (Check Engine Light), a vehicle analysis log is generated and submitted for review with the claim. This is an extended read out of the DME, all faults stored in the control unit as well as detailed information about the ECU. All Porsche has to do is dig a little deeper under the surface of the DME and look at certain values in the coding to tell if it has been modified. It just depends on how deep they want to dig to find what they need. We do ensure whatever programming we extract gets put back bit by bit exactly as if programmed at the factory.

I hope this answers your question, thanks for the inquiry.

5% OFF for all Rennlist Members

Toll Free: 1-800-274-2220
Fax: 954-977-7650
Email: info@fvd.us

Visit the WORLDS LARGEST Porsche Online Shop at www.fvd.us for over 35,000 parts!!

US DISTRIBUTOR for Fuch's Premium Exhausts, and Trickstuff Brake Pads!
You are the first Tunner that admits that Porsche can see ECU flashes eveny when you reload the stock program back before servicing.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I can get this 5% off the lowered price of $1,595, or $1,515?

I'll be back at you after I recover from the exhaust system I just purchased.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Flo@FVD

Rennlist Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mpclimber
I looked over your installation procedure on 6 speed and I had a question. I don't have access to either a batter charger or internet in my garage (I live in a highrise and my wifi doesn't reach). How do you propose I complete the install?

Best Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael,

unfortunately internet is necessary to either read or write a car. Would it be possible for you to go to a friends house where you either have W-LAN or LAN ? I did have the same issue on one point. I connected my blackberry RIM device to my laptop and since the readout of your car is only 65kb it shouldn't take longer than 4 minutes when you have a really slow connection. You can still download the file to your computer thru the connection at your highrise however you need to validate the cable with our server which needs just a short second of internet before you can write the software to your car.

Since you deal with the brain of your car you want to make sure that you have enough power. Every electronic device only works as long as the power is available. If you loose the power while writing the first memory bank it would be possible that you set the ECU into an inactive status which means you are no longer able to access the ECU. We never run into this issue however we literally test fried ECU's to see how the brain behaves in an emergency situation. You have 7 banks as long as you fail writing in a bank bigger than 1 you are fine. If this happens while writing bank 1 the ECU has to be sent to our headquarter in Germany. Again, we fortunately never had this problem but we just want to make sure that you know about everything what can happen.

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Thanks, Flo

Last edited by Flo@FVD; 09-04-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Flo@FVD

Rennlist Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by C DeVito
Is it the same price without the max RPM bump? Based on new information about the possible cause of Type 2 Over Rev counts, I'd rather keep the rev limiter stock.

The torque curve modification looks excellent for the K16 and in a very usable range for street work. I like the numbers for the X50 as well. Can you send me a graph for the X50?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flo@FVD
Hi Michael,

unfortunately internet is necessary to either read or write a car. Would it be possible for you to go to a friends house where you either have W-LAN or LAN ? I did have the same issue on one point. I connected my blackberry RIM device to my laptop and since the readout of your car is only 65kb it shouldn't take longer than 4 minutes when you have a really slow connection. You can still download the file to your computer thru the connection at your highrise however you need to validate the cable with our server which needs just a short second of internet before you can write the software to your car.

Since you deal with the brain of your car you want to make sure that you have enough power. Every electronic device only works as long as the power is available. If you loose the power while writing the first memory bank it would be possible that you set the ECU into an inactive status which means you are no longer able to access the ECU. We never run into this issue however we literally test fried ECU's to see how the brain behaves in an emergency situation. You have 7 banks as long as you fail writing in a bank bigger than 1 you are fine. If this happens while writing bank 1 the ECU has to be sent to our headquarter in Germany. Again, we fortunately never had this problem but we just want to make sure that you know about everything what can happen.

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Thanks, Flo
Thank you for your extremely thorough answer Flo.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Shift-Tech
Intermediate

Man am I glad to see that you are only 20min. away from me
Guess I can stop by and you load it for me?
I see everything liste for a 6speed, any problem with a tip?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Shift-Tech
Man am I glad to see that you are only 20min. away from me
Guess I can stop by and you load it for me?
I see everything liste for a 6speed, any problem with a tip?
Not a problem on the Tiptronic, please give us a call we would be happy to help you load the program. The beauty is that you don't even have to leave Hollywood!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

FVD is the real deal !
I have it and love it
Elliot
Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
scoobyc
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by manny_g
I'm still confused...are you saying that Porsche can still find out if the DME has been modified even though you re-install the factory program? How about buying a spare DME with a performance software and removing the stock DME. If you ever need to go back to the dealership for warranty repairs you can go back and install the factory originall DME. If the DME is ever removed from the car does that trigger any code to let the factory know that the DME was removed?

I am interested in a performance software, but am extremely weary about the potential of future denial of warranty repairs because of modifying the DME.

Can you please elaborate further....
sorry if i missed the answer here but if the dme is bought from fvd (rather than flashing the original)and something goes wrong can you reinstall the original and therfore "cover up" your tracks and leave porsche with no way of knowing if its been tampered wiith? Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Your hr counter (ECU vs cloned ECU) doesn't match your odometer..
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM
scoobyc
AutoX

is that the only give away? Just i'd imagine theres a huge variation on these recordings on every car so if you didn't do a huge mileage with it fitted it would still be about right or within tolerances (don't know if there is any so please forgive me!) Is there an easy way of checking your running hours? Many thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Are we talking about the 996TT or 997TT?

If you have driven 10K miles difference between the original ECU and the performance one Porsche will know.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
scoobyc
AutoX

996tt and i'd probably be doing 4-5k over next year at a guess.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM
vyper340
Pro

How is the day to day drivability with this mod? Could it be considered too agressive??
Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vyper340
How is the day to day drivability with this mod? Could it be considered too agressive??
vyper340, This may help in your quest for a program that suits your needs. This is from a High Horsepower Twin Turbo Shootout published in the February 2005 Excellence Magazine:

Driveability
Winner: FVD-USA

While the points system clearly favors speed over streetability, Tim Pratt and David Ray wanted to make sure these 911s are usable on the street. Those two plus van Overbeek, Law, and myself drove all of the cars on the road to determine just how "usable" they really are. Our primary areas of concern were ride quality, engine tractability, NVH (noise-vibration-harshness), ease of use for the shifter and clutch, and other factors of criticism left up to each judge. The clear winner was FVD-USA’s simple black Turbo. Smartly set up for track work with what were easily the best racing seats of the bunch, this 996 was mild in every other way. Its racy Recaros did not aid ingress or egress, but once you were in, they were supremely comfortable and supportive. Change the seats and this car would feel like a stock 996 Turbo - albeit a much faster one. The FVD car had no squeaks, rattles, or fault codes, which were all issues that afflicted several of the other rides here. Heading back to the driving loop’s starting point, I felt this would be the easiest Turbo of his bunch to live with. But I wasn’t alone, as the other panelists gave FVD’s 996 Twin a total of 77 points to the next closest car’s 65. That car was Mark Biestman’s sinister black S-Car-Go 911 GT2. And when a modified GT2 is rated as more driveable then the rest of the 911 Turbos, you know those Turbos where pretty, uh, extreme. Interestingly, Frederick’s Evolution GT700 nabbed third place despite its huge lag and multiple fault codes. Up and onramp, this 996 surprised me with how much lag there was before the boost kicked in; it was like driving a 930 all over again. And while this turbo was running fine, cycling through four major fault warnings on the dash didn’t inspire confidence. In fairness, Evolution’s GT700 wasn’t alone in this regard. Both ImagineAuto’s IA800RR and Akkurat’s Turbo Tiptronic displayed dashboard warnings. The former also got marked down for NVH due to a fire extinguisher that rattled incessantly. That’s a petty criticism, especially since Kaspar had the cage and fire-prevention device installed just for this test. But more than one driver complained about this - and details matter. Before we forget: Internet chatter predicted that the Akkuurat Turbo Tip would win this contest because of it’s automatic transmission. But this 996 rode like a boxcar and had frightening clunks emanating from its front strut tops. In Akkurat’s defense, the car’s odometer has logged well over 30,000 miles. Many of those have been very hard miles according to owner Alex Ross, who routinely dragraces the car. Too bad it feels like a 1986 Camry with 300,000 miles... In all, this was the area that caused a few of the tuners to stumble the hardest. But with just 10 points up for grabs here, we can’t exactly blame them for bringing race-oriented setups.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Quick Reply: FVD USA is Proud to be a New Rennlist Board Sponsor - 996TT Flash Load Programming