Sponsored by:

Over-Rev Documentation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 PM
calturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I'm not sure about a report, but you can have them hook up their PIWIS or PST2 and just go to the ECU information screen. It will show Type I and Type II over revs...like the screen below. It is stored in the ECU and can not be erased or altered (I'm sure some could hack it, but not just anybody). Oh the screen shot is from durametric, but it will be similar (and yours will be Motronic 7.8)
The same reporting software will also show an ECU flash and re-flash. This is how Porsche engineers will know if you change the ECU mapping on your car and try to re-flash it before you bring it in for a service.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Most savy tuners will reset this to "0" everytime the ECU is flashed with a program..
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Most savy tuners will reset this to "0" everytime the ECU is flashed with a program..
Kevin,

Can you please let me know the existing stats on my car before you reset it??
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Contrary to what people have been saying. My tuning system and programmer will adjust the count to zero everytime the ECU is flashed..

Being that I can contain up to 8 different files including the stock file, once the file is loaded into the ECU the counter is reset to "0"

We are not talking about Type 1 or 2 over-revs.. On a case by case situation, I can zero and reset these if need be.

However, if you are taking your car in for service, you have to remember to load you "stock" original file back into your ECU.. If you drive the car in with the performance flash you will have to do some explaining.

This is why my system is a "Better solution" vs other flash program from other vendors. This system allows the flexability to load multiple files.. Such as a valet file or 100 octane pump gas file.. Or if someone craves upgrading to larger turbochargers the existing programming becomes the low boost file..
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
calturbo
Instructor

Contrary to what people have been saying. My tuning system and programmer will adjust the count to zero everytime the ECU is flashed..

Being that I can contain up to 8 different files including the stock file, once the file is loaded into the ECU the counter is reset to "0"

We are not talking about Type 1 or 2 over-revs.. On a case by case situation, I can zero and reset these if need be.

However, if you are taking your car in for service, you have to remember to load you "stock" original file back into your ECU.. If you drive the car in with the performance flash you will have to do some explaining.

This is why my system is a "Better solution" vs other flash program from other vendors. This system allows the flexability to load multiple files.. Such as a valet file or 100 octane pump gas file.. Or if someone craves upgrading to larger turbochargers the existing programming becomes the low boost file..
What would the dealership suspect if the counter is back to zero? Does that mean that the car will start logging data from that reflash date forward? If so, on a car that has several thousand miles on it, would this look funny to a dealership? For example, if you compare two cars with equal mileage (2000 miles on the odometer). The flashed car that has its old program reinstalled should have fewer entries than a non flashed car. And therefore, look suspicious to a trained service technician.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Robert the counter needs to be ZERO period.. That's the default.. It cannot be more..

Just to make sure we are clear, this has nothing to do with Type 1 and Type 2 over Rev counts..

My programming will return it to Zero every flash..
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
calturbo
Instructor

Robert the counter needs to be ZERO period.. That's the default.. It cannot be more..

Just to make sure we are clear, this has nothing to do with Type 1 and Type 2 over Rev counts..

My programming will return it to Zero every flash..
How will that keep the dealership from not knowing? The dealership will know that something is going on, but they will not be able to prove it, right?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How is the tech going to know if it's ZERO.. They aren't interested. They get paid to look at the screen. The screw says "0" As long as the owner of the vehicle installs my programmer and load the first file which is always the original "stock" file the entire file gets re-written.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM
calturbo
Instructor

How is the tech going to know if it's ZERO.. They aren't interested. They get paid to look at the screen. The screw says "0" As long as the owner of the vehicle installs my programmer and load the first file which is always the original "stock" file the entire file gets re-written.
Kevin, I like your style and dedication. You are making it very difficult for me not to show you the money.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by calturbo
Kevin, I like your style and dedication. You are making it very difficult for me not to show you the money.
This is what you are waiting for...come on get with the program (UMW program that is). Just go for it! You won't regret it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM
iman11348
Advanced

So does all this mean that if you get this ECU flash from Kevin that it will NOT void the warranty?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It will not void the warranty if you remember to flash in your stock file..

Hear are a few warranty stories..

One customer (a Rennlister) had purchased my programming, 6 later under his CPO warranty his vario cam module went. He flashed in his stock file took the car in to the dealer and had the engine repaired under his CPO warranty.

Another customer had a cylinder head spring a leak. Casting flaw in the aluminum exhaust port. The customer flashed in his stock file, drove the car into the dealer and drove it out with a new cylinder head..

I can't stress enough that you have to remember to flash the stock file in..
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 PM
iman11348
Advanced

Is it complicated/difficult/time consuming to flash back to stock program?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

15 seconds.. Insert programmer into OBD2 port under your left dashboard. Turn the key to the 1 o clock position.. Press toggle button for 3 seconds and watch for the green (pass) LED light.

On the same note, when you take you car into the tire shop you can load in the Valet file (another 15 seconds).. You can also use this file when you leave your car in the garage and go on vacation. Your brother in law that comes over to take your car for a spin will have a "rude awakening" A customer did the very same thing, his brother came over and took the car for a spin, when he came home a week later his brother confessed and said that he "broke" the car because he could get past 45 MPH..

If you want to load a 100 octane race gas program, you can do so when you have filled the fuel tank. When you run out you switch back to the performance pump gas file.. Again 15 seconds to load between files.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And my experience backs up what Kevin says. It takes about 15 seconds to load a new file.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Over-Rev Documentation