Sponsored by:

Whining Noise while Cruising

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise while Cruising

Today I noticed a high pitch whining noise while driving on the highway. Not real loud but noticeable. When I depress the clutch while coming to a stop the noise stops, but when cruising again the whin continues. Again once the clutch is depressd the whin stops.

Clutch related maybe? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

See: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=92744 and https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/369344-whining-on-startup.html

Not saying it is, but my car started doing the same thing a few days ago...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justinmm2
See: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=92744 and https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369344

Not saying it is, but my car started doing the same thing a few days ago...
Justin: Did you get this repaired and if so was it the power steering oil resorvoir?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 326 Likes on 222 Posts

There is a TSB on the power steering pump.. You need to get it looked at soon, these have sprung a leak and the result is a engine compartment in flames..
Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 PM
clt8981
Track Day

I started the thread that is linked above. I dropped off my car last night at my dealer. They have had it for a day and I havent heard anything from them yet. I will keep you updated.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Originally Posted by manny_g
Today I noticed a high pitch whining noise while driving on the highway.
Wife perhaps?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpclimber
Wife perhaps?
At a cost of $900.00 to get it repaired, I wish it was the misses. At least I can get her to be quiet while in the car.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

I haven't. My dad (the Porsche guru) said not to worry about it. Not my ideal course of action, but I figured it wasn't hurting much... Just saw Kevin's message, though. May have it looked at soon

Manny: $900 = P&L for steering resevoir replacement? Just trying to see what I'm in store for.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 PM
clt8981
Track Day

Both my and Manny's car's are CPO, apparently manny's dealer isnt covering his. If I get a call back from dealer that its not covered, considering I bought the car from them 40 days ago...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justinmm2
I haven't. My dad (the Porsche guru) said not to worry about it. Not my ideal course of action, but I figured it wasn't hurting much... Just saw Kevin's message, though. May have it looked at soon

Manny: $900 = P&L for steering resevoir replacement? Just trying to see what I'm in store for.
Yes. That's for P&L. After reading the other initial posts, I was going to wait a little longer until I could not stand it any more or if it would start effecting the steering, but after reading Kevin's reply did not hesitate to take it to the dealer. My car is CPO and the dealership has told me that this was not covered. I think this is BS, and will speak with manager tomorrow and fight this one. I paid $3k more for this car to get it Certified. What ticks me off is that Porsche knows about this problem because they have issued a TSB, but will not stand up to the plate to get it fixed through a recall. I guess that's how they reward their customers....things to consider when purchasing next car.

Will keep you guys informed.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I took my turbo in twice to have them check this noise out. first time they said they couldn't reproduce the noise, second time they sat on my car for days and called me and said it's normal. knuckleheads.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by manny_g
Yes. That's for P&L. After reading the other initial posts, I was going to wait a little longer until I could not stand it any more or if it would start effecting the steering, but after reading Kevin's reply did not hesitate to take it to the dealer. My car is CPO and the dealership has told me that this was not covered. I think this is BS, and will speak with manager tomorrow and fight this one. I paid $3k more for this car to get it Certified. What ticks me off is that Porsche knows about this problem because they have issued a TSB, but will not stand up to the plate to get it fixed through a recall. I guess that's how they reward their customers....things to consider when purchasing next car.

Will keep you guys informed.

Manny, which dealer did you buy the car from ??

Theo
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Manny, which dealer did you buy the car from ??

Theo
The car was CPO'd by Porsche of Naples. I purchased the car in Naples. Porsche says that basicaly only mechanical parts are covered and the reservoirs weather being steering, water ect. are not covered by the extended warranty.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Your problem is a defective pressure control valve in the steering oil reservoir. When the hydraulic fluid rises above 100°C/212°F the valve starts vibrating so this should be covered under warranty! If they won't I would buy the new reservoir (997.314.920.30) from Sunset Imports and have an independent shop do the installation.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Update....the car was fixed today by changing the reservoir and associated valves. P&L came up to $900.00. Unfortunately the few local indy's around my area charge almost as much as the dealership. In this situation it was better for me to take the car to the dealer and get it fixed there.

Quick Reply: Whining Noise while Cruising