Sponsored by:

BROKE CRANK AT THE RACE TRACK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:20 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Tom,
I have never extensively tracked my Porsche, but in my road race cars I have a fair amount of experience. I tend to be conservative using the redline, as sustained revs seem to take life out of the engine. For an amateur sport, that seems like a waste. Therefore, I tend to spare the engine by upshifting about 500 rpm shy of the redline. I know I give up some speed, but Ihaven't lost a motor.
I don't know if that is reasonable in a tt where the redline seems quite low. But, I also don't think that shifting right at redline significantly improves acceleration in our cars.
Anyway, I'm posting because I would love to see you keep your enthusiasm, which will be sapped if you lunch another engine. Good luck and keep us posted!!! AS
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
calturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
All GT series cars AND turbo's received the updated reinforced engine case.. The engine case used in prior years was based off the 964 castiing. This casting had provisions for the oil drain tubes that ran from the cam housings to the engine case. With the addition to the water cooled liners and heads these drain tubes were omitted. BTW, Porsche had to install two large oil sump pumps on each side of the engine.

With the tubes removed, the engineers were able to provide a corrigated reinforced casting in the engine casting..
I believe the dual sumps are for acceleration and deceleration G - forces. Deceleration G forces are incurred during hard braking and can rob a sump of oil.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

That's incorrect.. Each turbo engine (and GT3)has sump pumps driven off each exhaust camshaft. With the addition of these sump pumps, there is no need to have oil drain tubes. With the drain tubes removed, Porsche reinforced the casting.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Tom,
I have never extensively tracked my Porsche, but in my road race cars I have a fair amount of experience. I tend to be conservative using the redline, as sustained revs seem to take life out of the engine. For an amateur sport, that seems like a waste. Therefore, I tend to spare the engine by upshifting about 500 rpm shy of the redline. I know I give up some speed, but Ihaven't lost a motor.
I don't know if that is reasonable in a tt where the redline seems quite low. But, I also don't think that shifting right at redline significantly improves acceleration in our cars.
Anyway, I'm posting because I would love to see you keep your enthusiasm, which will be sapped if you lunch another engine. Good luck and keep us posted!!! AS
Thanks AS, no loss of enthusiam by far, but I agree about the shifting and am adding a shift light as a reminder!!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
All GT series cars AND turbo's received the updated reinforced engine case.. The engine case used in prior years was based off the 964 castiing. This casting had provisions for the oil drain tubes that ran from the cam housings to the engine case. With the addition to the water cooled liners and heads these drain tubes were omitted. BTW, Porsche had to install two large oil sump pumps on each side of the engine.

With the tubes removed, the engineers were able to provide a corrigated reinforced casting in the engine casting..
Kevin, you are the engine guru and this is info I sure most of us dont know!!
thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Any chance we can get this made into a "sticky"?

Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Any chance we can get this made into a "sticky"?

Mike
I think when Kevin gets the motor and analyzes it more info will come.
Again, my initial reason for the post was to let all (esp track and drag racers) know these engines can let go. Why it happens and how to PREVENT it was the primary data I was looking for. Hopefully more will come.

I have changed my track driving habits slightly since the new engine. First I avoid type 1 over revs as they may cause more damage then I had thought.
Also dont run the gas down to empty like I used to.
In the process of adding an oil temp gauge, new boost gauge, A/F gauge, and and EGT gauge. As well as a shift light.
Although this may seem like overkill, I think we may need alittle more real time monitoring of the engine when driven hard and long on the track. Some of my sessions are an hour long and previously for me that was alot of boost and redline driving. I am now somewhat more careful.
For "people" with any mods I am "told" the car is truely not dependable in track situations. I really think that affects alot of us on this forum.
Your opinions about any of the above are as always welcome
tom
Old 08-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I have changed my track driving habits slightly since the new engine. First I avoid type 1 over revs as they may cause more damage then I had thought.
A little off topic but some relevance. When I bought my 3.8RSR motor from PMNA via Alex Jobs they had some interesting assumptions around revs and life. At 8200RPM redline and qualifying trim they ran the motor no more than 10 hours. At 7800RPM in race trim they used an engine life of 35 hours. They said if the I lowered the redline to 7400RPMs I should be good for 50-80 hours. Below 7400 it didn't run well so it was a moot point.

The tt I just bought with GIAC redlines at 7K. I short shift at 6K.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
DublinOh
Instructor

Seems I read once that the stress an engine undergoes increases as the "square" of the rpms. Any engineers who can verify?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Tom! I just happened onto this post..............what a bummer! Sounds like you got a lot of track miles on that motor though. The GT3's aren't rated for much more IIRC. No consolation I know, but at least it wasn't as bad a s wadding up the car
And hey, what an excellent series of "what not to do" additions to your instructor's collection
Old 09-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, what I plan to do from here on out is to shortshift it around 6RPMs, and to change the oil before every track weekend. I'm also debating switching to something a little heavier in the oil category... Tom's loss could be our gain...

Interestingly, the only time I've ever gotten into the rev limiter was at watkins glen after the motor started losing boost due to some CEL codes that kicked it into limp mode.

Mike
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Bump for a great thread with awesome info...anything new to add...?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Wow Tom! I just happened onto this post..............what a bummer! Sounds like you got a lot of track miles on that motor though. The GT3's aren't rated for much more IIRC. No consolation I know, but at least it wasn't as bad a s wadding up the car
And hey, what an excellent series of "what not to do" additions to your instructor's collection
Chris, thanks for visiting our forum!! And thanks again for all your help in the past. Still didnt stop me from blowing an engine!!
The old engine is soon to be on its way to Kevin at UMW's for the long awaited autopsy.
hopefully we will learn some new info to help us in the future soon!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DublinOh
Seems I read once that the stress an engine undergoes increases as the "square" of the rpms. Any engineers who can verify?
The forces that the rotating parts see is squared based on the rotational velocity omega. Acceleration is omega^2 * radius, and force = mass * acceleration. Stresses are typically linear with force, but there can be material and geometric effects which make the relationship non-linear.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM
gasman123
Intermediate

Any more info from the autopsy?

Quick Reply: BROKE CRANK AT THE RACE TRACK!!!