BROKE CRANK AT THE RACE TRACK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
thanks all. the car had 7-8k track miles....guess time for a rebuild.
Way too early on a stock motor! I have had double that mileage on my air cooled engine in severe weather conditions so far. Low boost, stock revs and good mapping/tuning (especially factory) will keep them running for a VERY long time, I have many examples around me of people Club racing them in stock form for 3 years now.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

A stock engine will fail when your rod bearing fail.. Either thru detonation or lack of lubrication to cool the journals. There was bearing transfer on the journals.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

That's my point, a stock motor in good shape will not brake just like that without something else having caused a failure, an issue with the mapping, overrevs or oil starvation of some sort. Otherwise should see years of DE/track usage.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree Jean, I was talking with some cup mechanics at Spa and I mentioned about rebuild etc, they said if stock motor (minor mods) and has more than regular oil changes etc there should be no issues, car would run forever was the exact words. It's got me thinking, I might cap my boost down a little, but I usually do a mix of 109/99 (50/50) for track just to help detonation and run decent Motul racing oil, which is changed often. Off to Nurburgring on Thursday, watch this motor will proabably blow, ****!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

Stock engine means stock.. No boost change, no exhaust, no headers, no wastegate mods no shift kit, no ECU mod.. Most guys that track there cars mod there car. ECU flash, wastegate mod, exhaust, short shifters.. It can take anyone of these factors to accelerate the bearing wear. This engine has had 1200 degree of heat to transfer the bearings to the crankshaft. A missed shift, or detonation would cause it.. Changing the REV limit to above 7K or constantly kissing the REV limiter would cause these conditions.

Again, a stock engine should not fail on the track or on the street. However there are stock engines that do fail. Walk into your Porsche dealer and see Vario cam failures and cylinder head failure due to corrosion and poor castings. These cars aren't tracked. If the engine has been enhanced coupled with a missed shift the rod bearings will take the hit. The rod journal/bearing got so hot that the drag on the rotation of the crank caused it to snap in half.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 AM
rafiki
Instructor

sorry to hear about your misfortune...
hopefully a bright side will appear in the not too distant future.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Tom: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/369387-ultimate-motorwerks-new-stage-3-a-and-b-tuning-kit.html

You know you want it...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
well it is either a new motor and I leave it alone or I find a used one and with the money I save send the engine to Kevin and have it built up.
The later would be my choice, would like to get some upgrade out of this.

My reason for posting was not for sympathy but to start and have a discussion on how and why this happened so others can prevent it. Hope some good comes out of this!!

thanks all for the support!!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
KPG
Pro

well it is either a new motor and I leave it alone or I find a used one and with the money I save send the engine to Kevin and have it built up.
You will be in good hands with Kevin. His attention to detail is unmatched. He preached to Tom and I endlessly about the proper oiling ,case mods and internal hardware to make these engines last under high stress use. If we wanted to run these engines at high rpms it was his way or no way at all. Stock cranks and stock oil pumps were not an option.Granted, you may have suffered catastrophic detonation that even upgraded internals would not survive, but I would rather run with these parts than without. Strangely enough, your particular rod bearing failure that caused the crank failure has been discussed many, many times privately before this even happened. Keep us informed on the path you choose with this engine replacement. Kevin
Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

The later would be my choice, would like to get some upgrade out of this.

My reason for posting was not for sympathy but to start and have a discussion on how and why this happened so others can prevent it. Hope some good comes out of this!!

thanks all for the support!!
Tom:
Even though we have never crossed paths, I have followed your posts and your progression in the DE world. I started down the slippery slope back in 2003, modified my TT, and enjoyed many,many weekends on track. I was getting very proficient on track, moving up to the high run groups. Last year, I began doubting myself and my commitment to the track. I too was championing the idea of a dual purpose car. Always saying that the TT was just about the best dual purpose car out there! But with the changes in insurance coverage and my concern with the car's durability, I stopped tracking. Just the money I paid for a clutch ($4600), could have paid for a fully prepped track 944. I saw one for $5000.
I just could not justify putting an $80K investment at risk every weekend any more. I was just not financially able to make that commitment. I made the decision to walk away. I am still planning to get back on track with a "track car", one that I can walk away from on any given DE weekend.
Best of luck to you and whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
clt8981
Track Day

Sorry to hear about this...could I ask a few questions? sorry for being a newb..

How many total miles were on the car? Would the warranty cover a motor from a car that has been tracked..if not modified? thanks hope it works out for you.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Tom:
Even though we have never crossed paths, I have followed your posts and your progression in the DE world. I started down the slippery slope back in 2003, modified my TT, and enjoyed many,many weekends on track. I was getting very proficient on track, moving up to the high run groups. Last year, I began doubting myself and my commitment to the track. I too was championing the idea of a dual purpose car. Always saying that the TT was just about the best dual purpose car out there! But with the changes in insurance coverage and my concern with the car's durability, I stopped tracking. Just the money I paid for a clutch ($4600), could have paid for a fully prepped track 944. I saw one for $5000.
I just could not justify putting an $80K investment at risk every weekend any more. I was just not financially able to make that commitment. I made the decision to walk away. I am still planning to get back on track with a "track car", one that I can walk away from on any given DE weekend.
Best of luck to you and whatever you decide to do.
Sorry to hear that.
I run the TT at the open passing time trial level so I guess it is race conditions but I am addicted to that car. I have two 944's that I do wheel to wheel racing with and can afford to walk away from them if I crash.
Still hope to see you around RA sometime!!
tom
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom,
Obviously there is no choice but to fix it. But the question is to fix it as a street car, or as a dual purpose street and track car. I have never been convinced the latter is a good idea, especially on cars as expensive as a tt.
Would it make more sense to just move on to a dedicated high-power track car, a new GT3, or (heaven forbid) a ZO6?
I think the big problem will be a second melted motor in the tt. Nobody gives you a waranty on track motors, and as we all know, **** happens. To me, that **** is just more tolerable on a Chevy small block, as it is also cheaper.
As you know, my X50 sees only occasional track use (primarily for instruction or demonstration) when I bring doctor guests. Otherwise, I use dedicated track cars. It can be somewhat jealousy-invoking, when my buddies just drive off while I am still loading and trailering. The upside is, I always have a car to drive home.
For a prepped new motor, you will probably be looking at 50 grand, before the whole thing is over. If I am way off, I would appreciate being educated. I might put a used tt motor in, and buy another track car. I presume you are already trailering your 944's, so you also probably have the whole rig.
On the other hand, I will be very interested in your choice.

There is nothing logical about our hobby, and it remains the best known means of turning money into noise. Keep us posted. My bet is you upgrade a tt motor. Personally, if staying with Porsche, I think I would be looking at getting in line for a new GT2, and leaving that bone stock. I have a desposit on a new CLK Black, but the dealer may be getting cold feet-so I am unsure of my own car destiny. AS
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clt8981
Sorry to hear about this...could I ask a few questions? sorry for being a newb..

How many total miles were on the car? Would the warranty cover a motor from a car that has been tracked..if not modified? thanks hope it works out for you.
any questions are ok if you dont know the answer.........
car had 20k on it near 10 of which where at the track. I got the car with 9k
and no a warranty will not cover your blown engine at a track event.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Tom,
Obviously there is no choice but to fix it. But the question is to fix it as a street car, or as a dual purpose street and track car. I have never been convinced the latter is a good idea, especially on cars as expensive as a tt.
Would it make more sense to just move on to a dedicated high-power track car, a new GT3, or (heaven forbid) a ZO6?
I think the big problem will be a second melted motor in the tt. Nobody gives you a waranty on track motors, and as we all know, **** happens. To me, that **** is just more tolerable on a Chevy small block, as it is also cheaper.
As you know, my X50 sees only occasional track use (primarily for instruction or demonstration) when I bring doctor guests. Otherwise, I use dedicated track cars. It can be somewhat jealousy-invoking, when my buddies just drive off while I am still loading and trailering. The upside is, I always have a car to drive home.
For a prepped new motor, you will probably be looking at 50 grand, before the whole thing is over. If I am way off, I would appreciate being educated. I might put a used tt motor in, and buy another track car. I presume you are already trailering your 944's, so you also probably have the whole rig.
On the other hand, I will be very interested in your choice.

There is nothing logical about our hobby, and it remains the best known means of turning money into noise. Keep us posted. My bet is you upgrade a tt motor. Personally, if staying with Porsche, I think I would be looking at getting in line for a new GT2, and leaving that bone stock. I have a desposit on a new CLK Black, but the dealer may be getting cold feet-so I am unsure of my own car destiny. AS
I also trail it down, and have multiple cars, going to go with a new engine and keep tracking this car cause I am an addict!!

Quick Reply: BROKE CRANK AT THE RACE TRACK!!!