Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you plan to do (or have done) with exhaust(s)...check as many as apply.
I have a stock exhaust and don't know what to do (am unhappy, no plans yet).
9.09%
I have a stock exhaust and plan to keep it (am happy).
21.82%
I have a stock exhaust and plan to upgrade soon.
12.73%
I have a Europipe and am happy.
21.82%
I have a Europipe and am not happy (call me ).
0%
I have an older Fabspeed and am happy.
3.64%
I have an older Fabspeed and am unhappy.
1.82%
I have an AWE and am happy.
7.27%
I have an AWE and am unhappy.
0%
I have a newer (gen3?) Fabspeed and am happy (no drone).
7.27%
I have a newer (gen3?) Fabspeed and am unhappy (drones).
3.64%
I have another exhaust and am happy (Ruf, FVD, gembella, Billy Boat).
14.55%
I have anohter and am unhappy (from option 12).
0%
I have a Ztek and am happy (least expensive).
0%
I have a Ztek and am unhappy/returned it/it drones.
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Absolutely unpopular poll....how do you like to let your hot gas out? :-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Europipe is a work of art!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedude996TT
$5,200 is way too much for any exhaust system.
Stef advertises $5085 shipped, and that price isn't so high when you consider the exchange rate. $5085 is 3760 euro, and you could subtract shipping out of that if you lived in Europe and drove to Belgium to pick it up.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have a link to the Imagine Auto shootout data/thread? TIA.

Also, are Fabspeed and Ztek products made in the same Asian factory? A thread in the 996NA forum suggests as much. Both are awesome companies, that is not the issue. I am wondering if the source of manufacture is the same.....and if there are issues that will be common to both.

TIA>

FOR THE RECORD, I am still saving up for the EP2L.

PS: I love Zippy's system...that is probably way over my budget and noise level.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 05-17-2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Duane993
Racer

Techarts and Supersprint are the same?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Zippy you sure know how to throw salt in the wounds don't you.. (smile) No crate motor for you... I don't know how many exhaust that I have sold for EP in referrals and outright sales and I don't get one, where the irony in that.. So rub it in some more!!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
Stef advertises $5085 shipped, and that price isn't so high when you consider the exchange rate. $5085 is 3760 euro, and you could subtract shipping out of that if you lived in Europe and drove to Belgium to pick it up.
Hi Doc, with all due respect, I get paid in USD not Euros, so the exchange rate has nothing to do with the dollars in and out of my pocket. I am a design engineer in the aerospace biz. I have also worked in the aircraft industry and understand jigs and fixtures. The first one you make is very time consuming and expensive. I know the market is limited, only so many cars of a certain model were produced and only a certain amount of people are going to purchase an after market exhaust. I also understand that there are a good dozen manufacturers’ out there competing for the sales. But, come on, make a good product and sell the hell out of it with volume, not this slow roasting of the consumer... I don't mean to sound like I'm taking this out on you or anyone in the group; I just feel and can't justify the expense of a simple piece of sheet metal and tubing. This isn't rocket science, believe me, I know...
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Doc, with all due respect, I get paid in USD not Euros, so the exchange rate has nothing to do with the dollars in and out of my pocket. I am a design engineer in the aerospace biz. I have also worked in the aircraft industry and understand jigs and fixtures. The first one you make is very time consuming and expensive. I know the market is limited, only so many cars of a certain model were produced and only a certain amount of people are going to purchase an after market exhaust. I also understand that there are a good dozen manufacturers’ out there competing for the sales. But, come on, make a good product and sell the hell out of it with volume, not this slow roasting of the consumer... I don't mean to sound like I'm taking this out on you or anyone in the group; I just feel and can't justify the expense of a simple piece of sheet metal and tubing. This isn't rocket science, believe me, I know...
OTOH, my fabricator buddy and I have priced out the materials to clone the system in post #5. Granted we are planning to start with 2 mufflers per bank, and will use at least one section of flex pipe to handle expansion, but the materials came in at $2000. The 100 cell cats are pretty hard to purchase, and expensive when you find them. We're using donuts for the bends due to the tight radius, and they cost more than the more common j-bends. Etc. Highly engineered systems like the EP probably cost more in materials than you're estimating.

Some of the simpler systems do seem excessively expensive, though. Those that use US-spec cats ($100 vs $500 or more for the 100 cell race cats) and no balance pipe could be copied for a few hundred $ in materials. Corvette C5 mufflers look like they might fit.

BTW, I worked for Hughes Space and Comm back in the day, then went to ESL in Sunnyvale right after Richard Wade Farley shot up the place. I worked for his boss. Spook stuff was fun back then. But now I'm design medical widgets. Traded NRO for FDA.

Jeff
Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 AM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by MidnighTT
OTOH, my fabricator buddy and I have priced out the materials to clone the system in post #5. Granted we are planning to start with 2 mufflers per bank, and will use at least one section of flex pipe to handle expansion, but the materials came in at $2000. The 100 cell cats are pretty hard to purchase, and expensive when you find them. We're using donuts for the bends due to the tight radius, and they cost more than the more common j-bends. Etc. Highly engineered systems like the EP probably cost more in materials than you're estimating.

Some of the simpler systems do seem excessively expensive, though. Those that use US-spec cats ($100 vs $500 or more for the 100 cell race cats) and no balance pipe could be copied for a few hundred $ in materials. Corvette C5 mufflers look like they might fit.

BTW, I worked for Hughes Space and Comm back in the day, then went to ESL in Sunnyvale right after Richard Wade Farley shot up the place. I worked for his boss. Spook stuff was fun back then. But now I'm design medical widgets. Traded NRO for FDA.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, maybe you're right, if you don't make the cats, then there is another level of profit for that I hadn't accounted for. If you make all the subassemblies in-house you can keep the costs down and control the final price better. I assumed that these manufacturers’ were making all there own parts. If you sub out the work, the cost goes out of control. Enough said, I'll climb down from my little soap box now...
Old 05-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what's the price on the EP Custom? $10,000USD?
It was very well priced.

Could be pricey if I every sold it though.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Zippy you sure know how to throw salt in the wounds don't you.. (smile) No crate motor for you... I don't know how many exhaust that I have sold for EP in referrals and outright sales and I don't get one, where the irony in that.. So rub it in some more!!
You must have forgot to send a Christmas card this year.

Last edited by Zippy; 05-26-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:30 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

This poll started while my Europipe St 2 Q was in the air. I just finished putting it where it belongs - and I am HAPPY.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:11 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone out there with one of the Asian systems by Ztech/Maxspeed/etc.

Thanks.

JB

Quick Reply: Absolutely unpopular poll....how do you like to let your hot gas out? :-)