Sponsored by:

Affordable exhaust(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:55 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Affordable exhaust(s)?

Just imagine you want to get an exhaust on your car and don't want to spend a billion dollars. Does anyone have a list of exhaust systems and thoughts, with an eye to the point of view of "this is not the absolute best one, but dollar for dollar it cannot be beat, and it is reliable."

While my favorite exhaust is the europipe and from a prior 993 C4 modded car there is one vendor I will not go to due to drone, does anyone know of a 1000 to 1800 dollar 996TT option? Used/new: both are options. (I am looking....)

TIA

JB
Old 04-15-2007, 06:03 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Talked to Kevin and I have decided to just save for a Europipe system. I know it is expensive, but the more I got into the data and thought about it, the more it made sense.

JB
Old 04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Jon Elliott
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good choice, I went with the Europipe Q2 from Kevin and have been very happy. It is louder at idle but no drone.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
...does anyone know of a 1000 to 1800 dollar 996TT option? Used/new: both are options. (I am looking....)

TIA

JB
I have not seen anything in that range... I am going with the new FabSpeed. There is a group buy going...
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech-Law
Pro

Effin' ridiculous that they should charge $3,500 for a few hundred dollars worth of bent tubing... Why do exhausts from the same manufacturer for OTHER (less expensive cars) that must reach from the front of the car to the rear cost a fraction of this? I guess that's what the market will bear but it pisses me off...
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, FS Gen 3. I have sold about 52 units thus far. Only one complant
Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 AM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Yes, FS Gen 3. I have sold about 52 units thus far. Only one complant
I'm not seeing any info on a current group buy. There is a 6speed thread that hasn't had a post in a few weeks, but nothing current. Whassup?

Jeff
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drop me a PM if you need info.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
jags911tt
Instructor

Im selling my fabspeed super sport with a set of new v clamps and muffler bypass pipes for $2500.

Jag
Old 04-18-2007, 08:04 AM
silvershark
Track Day

I have the europipe II loud and love it. See http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
for pics and video's. I have not seen another system that matches the quality.
Sound is definately a preferance...
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

I am saving up for the europipe...just wish it was 2000 and not 4000.... ah, the dollar and the euro...

JB
Old 04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fabspeed Gen 3

I can only tell you what I know and that I'm unbelievabley pleased w/ my Fabspeed. If you do a search, you'll see that I went through what you're going through several months ago.

I researched thoroughly, posted requests for opinions from 6speed as well as Renntech.

Bottom line, Europipe has a strong following. Apparently, they got it right the first time. Fabspeed has had a few problems in the past and while their performance was tops, they apparently had a problem w/ drone (especially using their one cannister muffler system). They then came out w/ this two cannister muffler system and it was supposed to have solved the problem.

I have never owned a Europipe, have never owned a previous Fabspeed either. I, however have just yesterday had the privilege of FINALLY driving my car w/ the new Fabspeed exhaust and I LOVE it!!!!

It sounded almost too quiet in the cockpit (I still have my hardtop on), but when you lower your window you can certainly hear the difference. We have a stretch of highway that is under construction and has the concrete barrier/dividers up and I had to have ticked off several folks running in 2nd gear reving up and down on the throttle, trying to get my exhaust to echo off the concrete dividers. I ran a redline here and there under bridges.

I also had someone drive my car while I stood in my driveway, just so I could hear my car from the outside. AWESOME. No more $150K "blow dryer" coming down the road.

I had a set of Magnflows on my 300 SRT-8 before I switched to Corsa's due to drone. Drone sucks. My Porsche w/ Fabspeed doesn't drone, not one bit.

My initial decision came down to the crazy difference in price. I just couldn't justify it, roughly a 40% difference. Now that I've put a few hundred miles on my car in only two days, I can say w/ absolute certainty, it is a no brainer.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

I am now a bit torn...but saving up and perhaps the dollar will go up in value (not likely). Regardless, it is the EP.

Again, thanks. I think they all should cost 500.... maybe 1200 at most. I wonder how much the material costs and the labor..anyone have a guess? That being said, the EP is a work of art, no doubt .....and I plan to keep this car over 5 years more...perhaps a LOT longer.

So, for now I am saving for the EP.... The net difference if I keep my tips is about 1k or 1.5k....a big difference, but from what I have seen, the EP is just the best out there. Given the cost, I am actually leaning to the Stage 2 loud for all the reasons Kevin has stated here and in the past.

What i really want is a sound clip on a 996TT with the factory and this unit side by side...doing the same drive by, same gear, etc. Probably asking too much.

:-)

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-22-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Does anyone see how large the 100 cell cats are?? That is the heart of the Europipe along with the large 70mm tubing.. The FS doesn't have these options nor does it have a balance tube to equalize the cylinder pulse between both banks similar to what the factory system employs..
Old 04-22-2007, 12:16 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Default Balance pipe

At the track, I normally ran my 9 second street Camaro with a bullet muffler bolted to each header collector flange. Here is a video shot from near the traps:

9 second street Camaro pass

Here's a pic of the exhaust:

For years, Alan Blaine of Blaine Fabrication has dragged the car to the track for me with his pickup and trailer in exchange for gas money and food (and a bit of advertising since he did the roll cage). A few weeks ago we took it to the track to demo it for a prospective buyer. The buyer wanted to see it run in street trim, so I ran it with the full street exhaust except for the muffler.

The street exhaust comprises a 3" y-pipe that joins the two V8 banks into a single 4" pipe that runs over the rear axle into a single muffler. Alan commented that the car sounded completely different with the two banks joined together. He said the pitch was about an octave higher and it sounded smoother rather than kind of ragged. Keep in mind that he's watche the car make dozens of passes. He shot the video posted above. I wish I had a sound clip, but I don't. The buyer asked me where I was shifting because it sounded like I was winding the engine to 8000. I had to show him the tach telltale (captures the highest rev since the last reset), which revealed 7200.

Here's a pic of the street exhaust:

The reason for yakking about all this is to say, based on that experience, I'd advise those looking for a deep, throaty (chuckle!) sound would be better served by a pcar system that isolates the banks, while those wanting a higher pitched (I'm think of the guys trying to simulate an fcar at 8000 rpm), smoother sound should go with a balance pipe system. If I'm way off-base with this in pcarland, please set me staight. I hate to spread misinformation!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Affordable exhaust(s)?